TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: 2019 Countdown To Kickoff

Default Re: 2019 Countdown To Kickoff

Quote Originally Posted by Eagle02120624 View Post
    You do realize he only threw 106 passes that year. Shuman threw it 72 times in the little bit he played. 2014 was his most effective year throwing it until he got hurt in the last game vs La-monroe. I think that injury carried over into 2015 for the most part. In 2016 he still didn't have the zip nor the touch he had in 2014 but had a higher completion rate due to "Air raid" Gillespie calling the plays. I don't think his shoulder ever recovered fully.
    Shoulder injury actually started in 2013. He dealt with it his entire career.

2. Default Re: 2019 Countdown To Kickoff

Quote Originally Posted by eaglewraith View Post
    Shoulder injury actually started in 2013. He dealt with it his entire career.
    I didn't realize that. I remembered the big hit vs monroe where he landed on his shoulder and knew he wasn't the same passer after that. Thanks for educating me.

I didn't realize that. I remembered the big hit vs monroe where he landed on his shoulder and knew he wasn't the same passer after that. Thanks for educating me.
    He left the game with an injury to the same shoulder against NCSU. I think that’s the same shoulder that cost him time down the stretch in 2013 (Furman, WCU). He got progressively worse as the 2014 season went on.

By 2016, his arm strength and accuracy were way behind where he was early in his career. Still, he did pretty well with what he had left that season.

Nobody’s been able to verify it, but I suspect he had something like the “yips” in 2015. When he started that season, his arm looked pretty strong/healthy. As we know, though, he was all over the place, especially to open receivers. It was like a Wohlers/Ankiel/Steve Sax/Chuck Knoblauch/Mackey Sasser thing.
    Thanks, Rastabot!
    www.247sports.com/porkchops

Quote Originally Posted by pete4256 View Post
    He left the game with an injury to the same shoulder against NCSU. I think that’s the same shoulder that cost him time down the stretch in 2013 (Furman, WCU). He got progressively worse as the 2014 season went on.

By 2016, his arm strength and accuracy were way behind where he was early in his career. Still, he did pretty well with what he had left that season.

Nobody’s been able to verify it, but I suspect he had something like the “yips” in 2015. When he started that season, his arm looked pretty strong/healthy. As we know, though, he was all over the place, especially to open receivers. It was like a Wohlers/Ankiel/Steve Sax/Chuck Knoblauch/Mackey Sasser thing.
    I cringed when he came up slow after that hit because of that reason.

People don't remember freshman Ellison. He could sling it. I still remember how excited I was for the future watching him in the second quarter of the Samford game throwing it like we haven't seen from an option QB in a long time.

You do realize he only threw 106 passes that year. Shuman threw it 72 times in the little bit he played. 2014 was his most effective year throwing it until he got hurt in the last game vs La-monroe. I think that injury carried over into 2015 for the most part. In 2016 he still didn't have the zip nor the touch he had in 2014 but had a higher completion rate due to "Air raid" Gillespie calling the plays. I don't think his shoulder ever recovered fully.
    He attempted more passes per game in 2014 than he did 2016. 10.6 per game in 2014 and 9.63 in 2016. He was still better in completion percentage, yards per attempt and passer rating in 2016 than any other season.

6. Default Re: 2019 Countdown To Kickoff

Hey, my dad played high school and JUCO ball with him.

7. Default Re: 2019 Countdown To Kickoff

Quote Originally Posted by studenteagle View Post
    He attempted more passes per game in 2014 than he did 2016. 10.6 per game in 2014 and 9.63 in 2016. He was still better in completion percentage, yards per attempt and passer rating in 2016 than any other season.
    Did you not read the last part of my post? I acknowledge that but that was 100% due in part to "Air raid" Gillespie. As you've seen from others on here, he was a better overall passer in 2014. Upshaw threw 84 passes in 2016 and it's my belief that they did that because Ellison couldn't read coverages very well. Just my opinion though.

I should clarify that his arm was better and he could make more throws in 2014.

Quote Originally Posted by eaglewraith View Post
    I cringed when he came up slow after that hit because of that reason.

People don't remember freshman Ellison. He could sling it. I still remember how excited I was for the future watching him in the second quarter of the Samford game throwing it like we haven't seen from an option QB in a long time.
    +1 on that Samford game, I was thinking we have something special, an option QB who can really throw. That bad shoulder really did set him back in regards to his throwing game.

it's my belief that they did that because Ellison couldn't read coverages very well. Just my opinion though.
    It's my belief they did that because Tyson Summers was a really, really bad coach.
    Thanks, Rastabot!
    www.247sports.com/porkchops

It's my belief they did that because Tyson Summers was a really, really bad coach.
    My thoughts exactly.