TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Preseason all-SBC teams

Default Re: Preseason all-SBC teams

Quote Originally Posted by blueisbetterthanpurple View Post
    Shai Werts never gets any love. I get that he’s not a traditional QB, but he was the most effective player on our offense last year. Kind of hard to ignore that.
    I've not looked at our overall numbers, but I think that maybe statistically our offense looked average because of the slow tempo. If we can speed up our tempo just a touch this year, we should be able to have our guys put up some more impactful numbers, provided everyone improves as we are expecting.

This is all just speculation on my part, I dont have any statistics to back this up. #InternetWarrior

Quote Originally Posted by PowerEagle View Post
    I've not looked at our overall numbers, but I think that maybe statistically our offense looked average because of the slow tempo. If we can speed up our tempo just a touch this year, we should be able to have our guys put up some more impactful numbers, provided everyone improves as we are expecting.

This is all just speculation on my part, I dont have any statistics to back this up. #InternetWarrior
    More consistency from the OL and blocking in general will do a lot more to bump our offensive numbers.

I agree that I'd like to see us mix our tempo/pace up but in 2015 we were once again one of the slowest paced teams in the country, but our blocking was a lot better.

Quote Originally Posted by half-n-half View Post
    I think Duncan has a chance to be really good but he’s not going to be all conference as a sophomore first year starter.

Bowden is a very solid player but not good enough nor will he put up the stats to be all conference.

Logan Wright will be our primary ball carrier if healthy. Laroche will only have the 3rd or 4th most carries on the team.

Maybe as a senior Werts could find his way to 2nd team but barring a major change this year he won’t have near the stats to be all conference.

I could see Byrd or Cooper making it though.
    We will see on Duncan. He did get plenty of play time last season and he'll certainly get the chance to put up good stats because teams are going to minimize throws to where Brinson and Vildor are on the field.

On Bowdry, I'm trusting my eyeballs on him as well as the fact that 2 years ago he got starts over Sean Freeman two years ago before be was moved to OLB. People may not have liked him when he's safety, but they didn't like Josh Moon either and he's at the Falcons camp now.

I'm not writing off Laroche yet though I wouldn't bet much on him. With better blocking we could be a real weapon. We saw the difference in Matt Breida in 2014 and 2015 versus 2016.

And Werts could very well rack up the stats to be all-conference if he progresses like Bob DeBesse says he has. I think he'll benefit from App having a new coach, ULM losing their two best receivers, ULL having a new QB, and Troy's starter not having played a game since last September.

In their end-of-spring interviews, Bob DeBesse has spoken of "understanding the why" of the offense and Sloan has mentioned "going from being assignment driven to concept driven". I think we still have yet to really see what many of our older players can do. Except for the redshirt seniors all of them have played either entirely for Tyson Summers' staff or under our current staff and system for a season. You might say they've only had real college-level coaching for a season.
    Last edited by BillyBob; 19th July 2019 at 08:54 AM.
    "Follow the trendlines, not the headlines." -Steven Pinker (?)

Regarding football Scheduling.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob View Post
    We will see on Duncan. He did get plenty of play time last season and he'll certainly get the chance to put up good stats because teams are going to minimize throws to where Brinson and Vildor are on the field.

On Bowdry, I'm trusting my eyeballs on him as well as the fact that 2 years ago he got starts over Sean Freeman two years ago before be was moved to OLB. People may not have liked him when he's safety, but they didn't like Josh Moon either and he's at the Falcons camp now.

I'm not writing off Laroche yet though I wouldn't bet much on him. With better blocking we could be a real weapon. We saw the difference in Matt Breida in 2014 and 2015 versus 2016.

And Werts could very well rack up the stats to be all-conference if he progresses like Bob DeBesse says he has. I think he'll benefit from App having a new coach, ULM losing their two best receivers, ULL having a new QB, and Troy's starter not having played a game since last September.

In their end-of-spring interviews, Bob DeBesse has spoken of "understanding the why" of the offense and Sloan has mentioned "going from being assignment driven to concept driven". I think we still have yet to really see what many of our older players can do. Except for the redshirt seniors all of them have played either entirely for Tyson Summers' staff or under our current staff and system for a season. You might say they've only had real college-level coaching for a season.

I’ve got nothing against Duncan or Bowery. I’m glad both of them are going to be on this defense. But you don’t see a bunch of sophomores making all conference team and it’s going to be even tougher for him because Vildor and Brinson will both be all conference. Bowery is very solid but I just don’t see him as all conference type.

As for Werts, obviously he plays in a different system but he only had 1,900 yards of rushing and passing combined last year. He’s never going to put up numbers that spread faster pace offenses do but 1,900 yards is nothing in today’s college football. For him to have a chance he’s going to have to have another crazy TD-INT ratio and a bunch of rushing TD’s and we are probably going to have to win the conference. None of those things are impossible by any means but he’s going to have to stand out more than just a “stat QB”.
    Quote Originally Posted by NO_QUARTER View Post
    I actually considered getting into a debate with Half one time (on something unimportant). But then chickened out because I knew my a$$ was about to get handed to me.

“If” our Offense evolves enough to include more up-tempo and increased passing numbers, I could see Shai get on either the 1st or 2nd team with the 2nd being more likely. If we are going to be at our most dangerous, we will need to be unpredictable and have multiple players threatening the end zone on a regular basis.

6. Default Re: Preseason all-SBC teams

I’ve got nothing against Duncan or Bowery. I’m glad both of them are going to be on this defense. But you don’t see a bunch of sophomores making all conference team and it’s going to be even tougher for him because Vildor and Brinson will both be all conference. Bowery is very solid but I just don’t see him as all conference type.

As for Werts, obviously he plays in a different system but he only had 1,900 yards of rushing and passing combined last year. He’s never going to put up numbers that spread faster pace offenses do but 1,900 yards is nothing in today’s college football. For him to have a chance he’s going to have to have another crazy TD-INT ratio and a bunch of rushing TD’s and we are probably going to have to win the conference. None of those things are impossible by any means but he’s going to have to stand out more than just a “stat QB”.
    I am comfortable with Werts doing what he's been doing.....

I think it's perfect.

He knows exactly when to try things himself vs get the ball to someone else.

When he was new, he tried to do everything himself, and got absolutely dogpiled.

Judgement is the key. He decision-making is much better now.

One of the main things I love about our kind of football is it's not so quarterback-centric. Ham was an exception, but Ham played against defenses which weren't anywhere near the level Werts sees.

I think Werts is on exactly the right track.

Quote Originally Posted by jcountry View Post
    One of the main things I love about our kind of football is it's not so quarterback-centric.
    Huh?
    Thanks, Rastabot!
    www.247sports.com/porkchops

I don't see how Brinson and Vildor will hurt the chances of anyone else on defense being all Sun Belt. Both of those guys are going to get fewer balls thrown their way this season, and defensive selections aren't as stat-driven (else how does Raymond Johnson make first team?)
    "Follow the trendlines, not the headlines." -Steven Pinker (?)

Regarding football Scheduling.

9. Default Re: Preseason all-SBC teams

Quote Originally Posted by pete4256 View Post
    Huh?
    Maybe I should say it differently.

Our qb is still very important, but it's not all about passing.

I find that stuff boring.

Yeah, option QBs don’t normally get the recognition unless they are WINNERS.

I wish there were some way to keep track of pitch yards. IMO, those are key components of a QB’s “total yards.”

Werts didn’t put up big rush+pass numbers last season, but he probably had 500 pitch yards or so. Pitching on most option plays is probably more difficult than throwing screen passes or “pitching it forward” on jet sweeps.

Anyway. If Shai goes 1000/1000 and we win the conference, he has a good shot at individual recognition.
    Thanks, Rastabot!
    www.247sports.com/porkchops