TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

View Poll Results: Who is the best team we've ever beaten in football?

Voters
46. You may not vote on this poll
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Best team we got a win over?

1. Default Re: Best team we got a win over?

Quote Originally Posted by Indy View Post
    If I remember correctly, they were later caught cheating and had to vacate several wins? Someone correct me if my memory is off.
    I think so, allegedly, the HC had some players wash his car, do yard work, marginal academic progress, etc. The violations weren't considered major so they kept the conference title, IIRC.

Default Re: Best team we got a win over?

Quote Originally Posted by gsu57 View Post
    I agree. While Nevada was ranked in the top-25 of all Division I, I would still rank a few teams of the 1980's better than this team.

Stephen F. Austin (1999) was one hell of a team. Think about this ... they had 4 Seniors drafted to the NFL. Probably the best know was Larry Centers (RB) who played 14 years as a pro.

MTSU (1985) had a fantastic team. We were drilled by them during the regular season. In the playoffs (12 Teams), MTSU received a bye week when we played. During the game, we jumped to the early lead and was able to hang on with a strong defensive effort. Coach Russell did not like bye weeks as he felt that weekly routines were important and a week off screwed this up. If you look back in the 80's, we may have had seasons without any bye week (or 1 at the most). To this day, I believe the bye hurt MTSU and it took them the first half of this game to look like themselves. One person I will alwsy remember from this MTSU team --- Tony Burse. Burse was the best fullback I have ever seen play the game. A pure beast (as our OLB's from this era). If he would have avoided certain extracurricular activities, he could have had a great NFL career after being drafted by Seattle. Instead, he bounced around in arena and CFL ball.

Arkansas State (1986) was a good team ... the 3 above were better in the 1980's
    The 1985 GSU team gave MTSU its only loss all year in the quarters on the road, gave UNI its only 1-AA loss in the semis on the road, and gave Furman their only 1-AA loss in the finals on a neutral field... amazing.

Default Re: Best team we got a win over?

Quote Originally Posted by blueballs View Post
    The 1985 GSU team gave MTSU its only loss all year in the quarters on the road, gave UNI its only 1-AA loss in the semis on the road, and gave Furman their only 1-AA loss in the finals on a neutral field... amazing.
    That is what winning “One More Time!” is all about.