TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 2 of 42 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: SMN Update on JD King

Default Re: SMN Update on JD King

If it were an SEC team, a donor would just buy the Kings a new house 15 miles up the road.

How many division one colleges are there within one hundred miles of Fitzgerald in Georgia? This is stupid at best. If you live in many areas of the west, there are zero colleges within one hundred miles of a lot of places. The NCAA answer? Just switch to another sport like calf roping or cow tipping.
    Last edited by GeecheeEagle; 28th July 2019 at 11:39 PM.
    "You should always expect to get back less than you put in. Thus, if you put nothing in, you should expect to get less than nothing back"

3. Default Re: SMN Update on JD King

Quote Originally Posted by yourmother View Post
    If it were an SEC team, a donor would just buy the Kings a new house 15 miles up the road.
    Now, that is the 100% DAMN truth!!

4. Default Re: SMN Update on JD King

Do dirt roads and cut throughs in cow pastures count?

5. Default Re: SMN Update on JD King

I get 114 miles by road. Does the policy specify. By Google Maps measurement, I get just under 99 miles. Seems to me, that's within a 100 mile radius.

Quote Originally Posted by GeecheeEagle View Post
    How many division one colleges are there within one hundred miles of Fitzgerald in Georgia? This is stupid at best. If you live in many areas of the west, there are zero colleges within one hundred miles of a lot of places. The NCAA answer? Just switch to another sport like calf roping or cow tipping.
    There are no FBS schools per the article other than us, only FCS and DII. That was the reason for the appeal per the article.
    No longer eating crow for saying "The TO is gone get over it!!"

Quote Originally Posted by yourmother View Post

SEC team? Class A high schools can get families relocated inside a district.
    Quote Originally Posted by NO_QUARTER View Post
    I actually considered getting into a debate with Half one time (on something unimportant). But then chickened out because I knew my a$$ was about to get handed to me.

Quote Originally Posted by half-n-half View Post
    I don’t have any answers to any of that other than the distance from the center of Fitzgerald to the center of Statesboro is irrelevant.

Well I guess in terms of #2 no I don’t have his address but I’m going to guess the NCAA does and they have measured the distance and came up with 114 miles.. I mean just a wild guess.

Ok, the article actually does give us the two end points of the measurement: the home of King’s father and the GS campus. It also specifically says the “driving distance” between those two points is 114 miles. Now, since the driving distance between the center of the 2 towns is 115 miles, I think it’s safe to assume King’s father’s house is within a few miles of Fitzgerald’s center.

So again, I wondered about the relevance of driving distance vs. straight-line distance. I looked up the exact wording used in the Division I Information Standards, Guidelines and Directives for relief waivers and it says, “Staff should consider relief of the legislation when the student-athlete transfers to an institution within a 100-mile radius from the student-athlete’s home or support system due to the injury or illness.” I’m no geometry genius, but a radius is a straight line extending from the center of a circle.

Two things seem pretty clear; the NCAA explicitly uses terminology for straight-line distance, and if King’s father’s house exceeds the 100-mile limit according to corvid aviation, it can’t be by more than a few (1-5?) miles. The article states that King has met two of the three criteria for eligibility and if he is denied a waiver because his father’s home is 3 miles over the limit, well, that would be a darn shame. I know, I know, the NCAA is dumb, unfair, arbitrary, preferential, and generally inhales.

9. Default Re: SMN Update on JD King

Quote Originally Posted by hambone View Post
    So again, I wondered about the relevance of driving distance vs. straight-line distance. I looked up the exact wording used in the Division I Information Standards, Guidelines and Directives for relief waivers and it says, “Staff should consider relief of the legislation when the student-athlete transfers to an institution within a 100-mile radius from the student-athlete’s home or support system due to the injury or illness.” I’m no geometry genius, but a radius is a straight line extending from the center of a circle.

Two things seem pretty clear; the NCAA explicitly uses terminology for straight-line distance, and if King’s father’s house exceeds the 100-mile limit according to corvid aviation, it can’t be by more than a few (1-5?) miles. The article states that King has met two of the three criteria for eligibility and if he is denied a waiver because his father’s home is 3 miles over the limit, well, that would be a darn shame. I know, I know, the NCAA is dumb, unfair, arbitrary, preferential, and generally inhales.
    I was going to say this exact thing. Yes, radius implies circle, which means as-the-crow-flies. I can't think of any context where "X mile radius" is used where it means closest driving distance.

So even if the NCAA were to say the 100 miles is ironclad and you're SOL if you're 101 miles from your school (which would seem silly to me), there is no verbiage whatsoever that could be interpreted as minimum driving distance. Approve the waiver, then look at amending the wording the of the rule for the next transfer year. That to me is a much better argument then "well, there aren't any FBS schools within 100 miles of his home".
    "Follow the trendlines, not the headlines." -Steven Pinker (?)

REgardling football Scheduling.