TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 42 of 42 FirstFirst ... 404142

Thread: SMN Update on JD King

Default Re: SMN Update on JD King

Here's the thing....HE COULD'VE GOTTEN AN IMMEDIATE WAIVER BY USING THE COACHING CHANGE. He even said it frustrated him seeing others who used that avenue get waivers after the fact because he went the medical waiver direction instead and didn't bother with an attorney since he thought it would breeze through.

Again, he acknowledged that his mother was doing better.
    Why not transfer to UNC-Charlotte? It's 40 miles from Statesville.
    Why not App? It's 69 miles from Statesville.
    Why not Wake? It's 47 miles from Statesville.
    The article in the Virginian says he was 201 miles away while at CCU and is 132 miles away at VT (where he would be competing to start).

This seems like one of those things where if everything was laid out and he GOT the waiver people would be complaining about P5 treatment.

Quote Originally Posted by yourmother View Post
    Here's the thing....HE COULD'VE GOTTEN AN IMMEDIATE WAIVER BY USING THE COACHING CHANGE. He even said it frustrated him seeing others who used that avenue get waivers after the fact because he went the medical waiver direction instead and didn't bother with an attorney since he thought it would breeze through.

Again, he acknowledged that his mother was doing better.
    The article in the Virginian says he was 201 miles away while at CCU and is 132 miles away at VT (where he would be competing to start).

This seems like one of those things where if everything was laid out and he GOT the waiver people would be complaining about P5 treatment.
    Yep.

Quote Originally Posted by pete4256 View Post
    The NCAA set forward a clear policy, and Hoffman fell short. There was no basis for his appeal being upheld, either.
    Based on the guidelines as they exist, I can’t disagree with your second sentence. I’m not sure I agree with your first, but regardless of the clarity of the guidelines I think they’re misguided.

Here's the thing....HE COULD'VE GOTTEN AN IMMEDIATE WAIVER BY USING THE COACHING CHANGE. He even said it frustrated him seeing others who used that avenue get waivers after the fact.

Again, he acknowledged that his mother was doing better. Why not transfer to UNC-Charlotte? It's 40 miles from Statesville.

Y’all keep arguing the merits of this case in the light of the existing guidelines and appeals process, while I guess I’m really making an argument about the system itself. I mean, if you have to file for an appeal in the first place that means you “fall short” of the “clear” guideline. The fact that some are granted and some aren’t suggests that the ‘real’ guidelines are less clear and potentially subjective. The fact that such an appeals process may entail you dragging in a box of someone else’s medical records or convincing a committee that your poor old Mama REALLY does need you to be closer to home suggests to me that the guidelines are dreadfully misplaced. I mean, how do you quantify sickness/complications/distress/hardships? Is there a comprehensive chart that ranks illnesses in order of their impact? What’s the minimum score for approval? Does it have a multiplier for age at onset? Do you get docked a point if there’s another brother living in town who could help out instead? Does he have to testify that he’s unwilling? Does mental illness count? Do you have to share all that info with the committee as well?

I just don’t think the NCAA should be in the business of calculating someone’s potential quality of life and adjudicating on such a basis.
    Ever devoted to the twin causes of reason and justice . . . ever at risk of waxing verbose

Quote Originally Posted by GATAlac El Dorado View Post
    Based on the guidelines as they exist, I can’t disagree with your second sentence. I’m not sure I agree with your first, but regardless of the clarity of the guidelines I think they’re misguided.

Y’all keep arguing the merits of this case in the light of the existing guidelines and appeals process, while I guess I’m really making an argument about the system itself. I mean, if you have to file for an appeal in the first place that means you “fall short” of the “clear” guideline. The fact that some are granted and some aren’t suggests that the ‘real’ guidelines are less clear and potentially subjective. The fact that such an appeals process may entail you dragging in a box of someone else’s medical records or convincing a committee that your poor old Mama REALLY does need you to be closer to home suggests to me that the guidelines are dreadfully misplaced. I mean, how do you quantify sickness/complications/distress/hardships? Is there a comprehensive chart that ranks illnesses in order of their impact? What’s the minimum score for approval? Does it have a multiplier for age at onset? Do you get docked a point if there’s another brother living in town who could help out instead? Does he have to testify that he’s unwilling? Does mental illness count? Do you have to share all that info with the committee as well?

I just don’t think the NCAA should be in the business of calculating someone’s potential quality of life and adjudicating on such a basis.
    In that case, the NCAA should just get rid of the appeal process.
    Thanks, Rastabot!
    www.247sports.com/porkchops

Listen, I’m not convinced that a college football student/athlete can offer any appreciable assistance to the care of an ill family member if they live more than a very few miles away (even if you’re JD King). So this whole concept is just further illustration to me of the absurdity of the system.

That said, if you stipulate —as the NCAA has— that a sick family member is a legitimate basis for a waiver, then why would it be reasonable to then place arbitrary restrictions that would necessarily put the player in a dilemma. “I’d like to go help Mom, but I’d have to go to a school I don’t like to do it.” Further proof to me of logical inconsistency.

It wouldn’t be perfect, but something as simple as a one-time transfer outside your conference with no penalty as long as you’re in good standing (with no waivers) would be better than the current system. No more “how sick is she” or “distance as the crow flies” baloney.
    Ever devoted to the twin causes of reason and justice . . . ever at risk of waxing verbose

In that case, the NCAA should just get rid of the appeal process.
    Yes. Along with instituting a more practical and broadly permissive set of guidelines. Everyone would always know where they stood.

Yes. Along with instituting a more practical and broadly permissive set of guidelines. Everyone would always know where they stood.
    I think they should go back to a hard and fast “sit one” rule.
    Thanks, Rastabot!
    www.247sports.com/porkchops

I think they should go back to a hard and fast “sit one” rule.
    Or that. I’m not philosophically opposed to it.

That said, if you stipulate —as the NCAA has— that a sick family member is a legitimate basis for a waiver, then why would it be reasonable to then place arbitrary restrictions that would necessarily put the player in a dilemma. “I’d like to go help Mom, but I’d have to go to a school I don’t like to do it.” Further proof to me of logical inconsistency.
    It's a waiver. This particular waiver means you're giving up something to get something. If a guy says he doesn't want to meet the guidelines because he doesn't like the school choices then why would the NCAA owe him a bypass of the rules? That's like saying the bank owes you the finance rate of someone with an 800 score when your score is 600 just because you don't like the rate you qualified for. He ****ed up not doing the coaching waiver. Best wishes to his mom though.

It's a waiver. This particular waiver means you're giving up something to get something. If a guy says he doesn't want to meet the guidelines because he doesn't like the school choices then why would the NCAA owe him a bypass of the rules? That's like saying the bank owes you the finance rate of someone with an 800 score when your score is 600 just because you don't like the rate you qualified for. He ****ed up not doing the coaching waiver. Best wishes to his mom though.
    They don’t owe anyone a bypass of the rules, but they give it to some and not to others. I actually want them to stop altogether, once they’ve fixed the rules.