Thread: Worst individual football plays in team history

Default Re: Worst individual football plays in team history

This thread is crushing my spirit....
    Cameron Smith
    GS Student 2007-2011
    GS Fanatic 2007-the end of time

2. Default Re: Worst individual football plays in team history

Quote Originally Posted by aristocracker View Post
    1988 NCAA Division I-AA Football National Championship. Georgia Southern was trying to become the first team to win the national title three times. Raymond Gross fumbles at the Furman 10-yard-line late in the game, and the Paladins won the game 17-12.
    This bothered me at the time, but winning it the next 2 years eased the pain. And you have to remember the situation and the type of player Gross was. We were struggling in '87 and Coach Russell made the decision to give Gross a try. He scored two game-winning TDs and shortly afterward became the starter. He led us to the playoffs and an opening round win when it looked hopeless. His sophomore year was a continuation of his growth as a player and a QB in the option. It culminated with 2 NCs - a perfect season, and the first 15 win season in history.

Also, Gross was what I like to call a "gunslinger". He played QB in the option with a reckless abandon. We were great because he took a lot of chances that almost always paid off. If you saw him play, you were cringing almost every play. He toted the ball literally like a loaf of bread, and never gave up on the pitch. It was a thing of beauty. It was high risk, high reward. Yes, it cost us a NC in '88, but would we have ever been there in the first place without Gross. And I wouldn't change the way it turned out for anything.

So, I'll have to say that I totally disagree with you on that play - it was a thing of beauty because it was simply a step on the path to 2 consecutive NC's - including a perfect season, 15-win season.

The punt attempt at Oregon St.
    when the ball lie on the turf right next to our punter for what seemed like 2 minutes with the Oregon St players running around looking for th a ball... Finally spotting it, picking it up and stepping into the end zone for a touchdown.

Failed onside kick late in the second quarter at Ole Miss.
    What the???

We kick that deep and make the Rebels work the field, maybe we don't give up the td, at least not quickly and they burn some clock. Then even if they scored, we can bleed out the half and take an unexpected led into the locker room at half.

The so called chop block against us just before half at UGA when we had just gained a first and goal from the five with about (I think less than) 2 minutes to go till half. We were down only 10-7 to the Dawgs and they were already SEC East champs. Without that call, we likey bleed the clock down and go onto half UP 14-10 instead of a last second long shot by the Dawgs to take a two possession lead at half. Wow, what a difference, down 17-7 at the half.

By the way, there was no chop block. They called one number/takes two.
    The blocked defender wasn't blocked below the waist at all and the second Eagle he had contact with, wasn't even blocking him but was going by him to try and pick someone else up.

In that same game:
    UGA receiver catches a pass makes a football move, takes THREE AND A HALF steps WITH THE BALL, gets hit, fumbles, Eagles recover. SEC officials rule it incomplete! Even after replay.

People wonder why I hate UGA.

Quote Originally Posted by aristocracker View Post
    1988 NCAA Division I-AA Football National Championship. Georgia Southern was trying to become the first team to win the national title three times. Raymond Gross fumbles at the Furman 10-yard-line late in the game, and the Paladins won the game 17-12.
    Didn't we fumble on the three and half yard line? I think I remember us turning the ball over like three consecutive times in the final minutes of that game.

Double reverse.
    No longer eating crow for saying "The TO is gone get over it!!"

Quote Originally Posted by buddyroe View Post
    This bothered me at the time, but winning it the next 2 years eased the pain. And you have to remember the situation and the type of player Gross was. We were struggling in '87 and Coach Russell made the decision to give Gross a try. He scored two game-winning TDs and shortly afterward became the starter. He led us to the playoffs and an opening round win when it looked hopeless. His sophomore year was a continuation of his growth as a player and a QB in the option. It culminated with 2 NCs - a perfect season, and the first 15 win season in history.

Also, Gross was what I like to call a "gunslinger". He played QB in the option with a reckless abandon. We were great because he took a lot of chances that almost always paid off. If you saw him play, you were cringing almost every play. He toted the ball literally like a loaf of bread, and never gave up on the pitch. It was a thing of beauty. It was high risk, high reward. Yes, it cost us a NC in '88, but would we have ever been there in the first place without Gross. And I wouldn't change the way it turned out for anything.

So, I'll have to say that I totally disagree with you on that play - it was a thing of beauty because it was simply a step on the path to 2 consecutive NC's - including a perfect season, 15-win season.
    Still the only GS QB to lead us to 3 NC games. He doesn't get enough credit for his accomplishments.
    "It's supposed to be fun, the man says 'Play ball!', not 'Work ball!' you know" - Willie Stargell

Rick Bean
    BBA Management
    Class of 1981

Quote Originally Posted by eaglebean View Post
    Still the only GS QB to lead us to 3 NC games. He doesn't get enough credit for his accomplishments.
    +1. His number should have been retired years ago.

10. Default Re: Worst individual football plays in team history

Quote Originally Posted by Touchdown View Post
    The so called chop block against us just before half at UGA when we had just gained a first and goal from the five with about (I think less than) 2 minutes to go till half. We were down only 10-7 to the Dawgs and they were already SEC East champs. Without that call, we likey bleed the clock down and go onto half UP 14-10 instead of a last second long shot by the Dawgs to take a two possession lead at half. Wow, what a difference, down 17-7 at the half.

By the way, there was no chop block. They called one number/takes two.
    The blocked defender wasn't blocked below the waist at all and the second Eagle he had contact with, wasn't even blocking him but was going by him to try and pick someone else up.

In that same game:
    UGA receiver catches a pass makes a football move, takes THREE AND A HALF steps WITH THE BALL, gets hit, fumbles, Eagles recover. SEC officials rule it incomplete! Even after replay.

People wonder why I hate UGA.
    And a lot of people here make continual excuses for the refs.

”it’s real hard to call a game in real time”

and such.

It’s not insanely hard to cheat.