TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on
     
Page 3 of 49 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 487

Thread: Shai is back.

  1. #21

    Default Re: Shai is back.

    Quote Originally Posted by Buzz Killington View Post
    Even if they DO stick (they'll get dropped)...who cares... it's misdemeanor possession.
    I'd imagine the convicted and his family would care. Plus many others might if for no other reason than that the GS Code of Conduct states he'd be suspended for the LSU game with a misdemeanor conviction.

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Quantico, VA
    Posts
    1,071

    Default Re: Shai is back.

    Quote Originally Posted by GSUEYES View Post
    Like to see a retraction here
    title is a complete misrepresentation

    https://www.totalprosports.com/2019/...-his-troubles/
    Yeah. My brother-in-law sent me this yesterday. I told him that the article is somewhat less than accurate.
    Drew Geer
    Georgia Southern University 1991-1995
    BA History

  3. #23

    Default Re: Shai is back.

    Quote Originally Posted by gsumarine View Post
    Yeah. My brother-in-law sent me this yesterday. I told him that the article is somewhat less than accurate.
    It's not an article. It's an op-ed.

  4. #24

    Default Re: Shai is back.

    Title is missing the word ALLEGEDLY.

    Quote Originally Posted by GSUEYES View Post
    Like to see a retraction here
    title is a complete misrepresentation

    https://www.totalprosports.com/2019/...-his-troubles/

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Quantico, VA
    Posts
    1,071

    Default Re: Shai is back.

    Quote Originally Posted by yourmother View Post
    It's not an article. It's an op-ed.
    Well, that would explain it...
    Drew Geer
    Georgia Southern University 1991-1995
    BA History

  6. #26

    Default Re: Shai is back.

    Quote Originally Posted by yourmother View Post
    I'd imagine the convicted and his family would care. Plus many others might if for no other reason than that the GS Code of Conduct states he'd be suspended for the LSU game with a misdemeanor conviction.
    He wouldn't get suspended until his trial date if this went to court. That could be over a month from now.

    But it likely gets dropped before then anyway.

  7. #27

    Default Re: Shai is back.

    Quote Originally Posted by gsumarine View Post
    Well, that would explain it...
    Was saying that as a slam to the writer.....
    But it is kinda accurate.

  8. #28

    Default Re: Shai is back.

    Quote Originally Posted by OneMoreTime View Post
    Title is missing the word ALLEGEDLY.
    I've been puzzled by something I see quite often, with regards to media coverage of black athletes: Members of the media, who take a "Liberal" stance on most issues, will rush to convict a black athlete. Why is this? Dan Lebatard comes to mind. I like Highly Questionable, but don't like how he will rush to condemn a black athlete over something seemingly minor, and yet take a very left-leaning position on most social issues. It seems like a way of saying "I earned the right to criticize you, and your race (indirectly, perhaps) because I'm really down with the cause, just look at my track record!" Dan is all down with the movement, strutting his street-cred when interviewing a black entertainer or athlete, but watch him flip that off when the next story comes up. Why begrudge someone just because of their chosen field of work? Athletics and entertainment are tremendously rewarding, therefore, is there some level of resentment involved - I believe this, do you? The age of hipocrisy and one-upsmanship may reflect a setback in race relations, unfortunately.

    We, including members of the media, should get back to treating everyone fairly, like The Big Guy does. He shoots straight and is non-apologetic, because he doesn't go off half-cocked and need to apologize. Someone like this Total Sports guy should check themselves better. If Shai was just a local African-American resident of Saluda, or any small town in South Carolina, and this story goes national, I'm willing to bet almost all of the media immediately blames the cop, but instead since Shai is trying to make a way for himself on the football field, he becomes a convenient target - makes no sense to me. As someone who ran the streets for 40+ years, the whole cocaine thing here is bs - nothing adds up with the official story, and the cop knows it.

    And what about bad grapes - might some people around the Palmetto State resent Shai for not staying home and playing at one of their illustrious institutions (Clemson excluded)?
    Fire Sam Baker! The rest will take care of itself.

  9. #29

    Default Re: Shai is back.

    Quote Originally Posted by GSU08 View Post
    He wouldn't get suspended until his trial date if this went to court. That could be over a month from now.

    But it likely gets dropped before then anyway.
    Yeah, that's kinda what I meant. He'd get suspended one game with a conviction. But I was just addressing the "who cares" comment. I'm with you on it getting dropped.

    And there's this as far as "who cares"....
    Student-Athletes involved in incidents such as-but not limited to- DUI, and/or other
    substance-related violations will face additional sanctions. The case will be reviewed
    by the Athletic Director, Sport Administrator and Head Coach to determine if additional
    disciplinary action is necessary pending the outcome by legal and University
    Student Conduct Code. The suspension may be extended beyond one contest and
    may include practice, multiple games/events, regular season tournaments, and/or
    post-season championships/tournaments. Financial Aid, academic support services
    and sports medicine services will continue pending the outcome by legal and Univer-
    sity Student Conduct Code

  10. #30

    Default Re: Shai is back.

    Quote Originally Posted by bakerbacker View Post
    I've been puzzled by something I see quite often, with regards to media coverage of black athletes: Members of the media, who take a "Liberal" stance on most issues, will rush to convict a black athlete. Why is this? Dan Lebatard comes to mind. I like Highly Questionable, but don't like how he will rush to condemn a black athlete over something seemingly minor, and yet take a very left-leaning position on most social issues. It seems like a way of saying "I earned the right to criticize you, and your race (indirectly, perhaps) because I'm really down with the cause, just look at my track record!" Dan is all down with the movement, strutting his street-cred when interviewing a black entertainer or athlete, but watch him flip that off when the next story comes up. Why begrudge someone just because of their chosen field of work? Athletics and entertainment are tremendously rewarding, therefore, is there some level of resentment involved - I believe this, do you? The age of hipocrisy and one-upsmanship may reflect a setback in race relations, unfortunately.

    We, including members of the media, should get back to treating everyone fairly, like The Big Guy does. He shoots straight and is non-apologetic, because he doesn't go off half-cocked and need to apologize. Someone like this Total Sports guy should check themselves better. If Shai was just a local African-American resident of Saluda, or any small town in South Carolina, and this story goes national, I'm willing to bet almost all of the media immediately blames the cop, but instead since Shai is trying to make a way for himself on the football field, he becomes a convenient target - makes no sense to me. As someone who ran the streets for 40+ years, the whole cocaine thing here is bs - nothing adds up with the official story, and the cop knows it.

    And what about bad grapes - might some people around the Palmetto State resent Shai for not staying home and playing at one of their illustrious institutions (Clemson excluded)?
    Don't bring the social commentary into it. The basic thrust behind that piece is "well, the sample tested positive for cocaine more than once, and who are we to question that?". Most people (except for 1 or 2 conspiracy theorists) questioned the charges because of the facts surrounding it and not because supposedly small-town cops want to bring money to their town via fines or because cops are out to get certain subsets of the population.
    "Follow the trendlines, not the headlines." -Steven Pinker (?)

    Regarding football Scheduling.

Similar Threads

  1. Shai Werts
    By BillyBob in forum The Flight Line
    Replies: 57
    Last Post: 27th October 2018, 01:35 PM
  2. Shai
    By GSU08 in forum The Flight Line
    Replies: 62
    Last Post: 8th November 2017, 09:49 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •