TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Can Debesse and this team...

Default Re: Can Debesse and this team...

Quote Originally Posted by gasouthern01 View Post
    I dont think we can blame summers for all of this, to me its fritz. He was looking to leave from day 1 and took a loaded group of talent and parlayed that to his next job. He did not care to recruit or develop. Then you add in summers for a year and half and that is almost 4 years of less than stellar recruiting. I do not feel we have better talent now than we had with pj and monken and their recruits. Maybe more depth but not better starters.
    On defense, we likely do have better than what Monken or PJ had.

On offense, we're getting there, but things are looking a lot better now than they did in 2017.

One of the problems we had is that for 4 years, we had mixed recruiting. 14/15 were recruited to Fritz's scheme, 16 was recruited to Dean/Gillespie's scheme, 17 was recruited to Cook's scheme, 18 was recruited to DeBesse's scheme. We didn't have consistency in coaching or recruiting. The 2019 class was the first signing class recruited to the same system since 2015. We still got some players out of it even with all that. It's not that recruiting was terrible, it was just not focused the way it needed to be.

And Summers signed several of the guys we're seeing right now do well, like Werts and Kennedy.

However, I know you're going to keep bringing up Monken so I'll play along. Monken didn't complain about the roster he had. He worked within the confines of what he had while working to make them better, and looking for future playmakers. I'd argue that's what this staff is doing right now. S&C alone should make a huge difference this year....the team overall looks in the best shape they've looked in a long time. We're going to be better.

Quote Originally Posted by eaglewraith View Post
    On defense, we likely do have better than what Monken or PJ had.

On offense, we're getting there, but things are looking a lot better now than they did in 2017.

One of the problems we had is that for 4 years, we had mixed recruiting. 14/15 were recruited to Fritz's scheme, 16 was recruited to Dean/Gillespie's scheme, 17 was recruited to Cook's scheme, 18 was recruited to DeBesse's scheme. We didn't have consistency in coaching or recruiting. The 2019 class was the first signing class recruited to the same system since 2015. We still got some players out of it even with all that. It's not that recruiting was terrible, it was just not focused the way it needed to be.

And Summers signed several of the guys we're seeing right now do well, like Werts and Kennedy.

However, I know you're going to keep bringing up Monken so I'll play along. Monken didn't complain about the roster he had. He worked within the confines of what he had while working to make them better, and looking for future playmakers. I'd argue that's what this staff is doing right now. S&C alone should make a huge difference this year....the team overall looks in the best shape they've looked in a long time. We're going to be better.
    Dean/Gillespie had a scheme?
    "You should always expect to get back less than you put in. Thus, if you put nothing in, you should expect to get less than nothing back"

Quote Originally Posted by GeecheeEagle View Post
    Dean/Gillespie had a scheme?
    I honestly think we would have been fine with Dean's scheme. But we ran some kind of amalgamation and then throw in Summers' influence (like that flexbone shotgun look that was just completely terrible), and you see what happened.

I love how people are still trying to blame the 3rd best coach in the history of the program (Fritz) for our problems.

8-0 sun Belt champs.

14-2 overall SunBelt record.

Still waiting on someone to match this.

Fourth best coach, at best.
    Too many Urkels on your team that's why your wins low

Fritz was a very good coach, he just had his plan to move on when he got here. I think he jumped too quick and in the wrong direction. Tulane won't get him there unless he just wanted more money and nice place to retire.

Quote Originally Posted by Klak View Post
    550? 564 vs Savannah State, 613 vs Georgia State

We've eclipsed 550 rushing:
    - 3 times in 1999 (638 vs Youngstown, 591 vs Western Carolina, 559 vs Northern Arizona)
    - 3 times in 2012 (614 vs Western Carolina, 602 vs Old Dominion, 557 vs Jacksonville)
    - 2 times in 2014 (SSU, GAST)
    - and once each in 1994, 2002, 2011, and 2013

Aside from 94, all of those are multi-year built teams in their prime. We're not quite there yet, but I could still conceivably see 550 against Coastal, NMSU, and/or Georgia State in 2019.
    My bad. I meant total yards. I would be interested how many times we have put together that kind of offensive output since 2014.

8. Default Re: Can Debesse and this team...

Quote Originally Posted by studenteagle View Post
    My bad. I meant total yards. I would be interested how many times we have put together that kind of offensive output since 2014.
    Ok that makes more sense.

Since 2014, the closest we’ve come is 568 vs Idaho 2015, 592 vs NMSU 2015, 605 vs Savannah State 2016, and 583 vs South Alabama 2017.

https://gatadb.com/reports/15/total_yards/desc/

Lunsford must be the next Erk Russell. How did he ever manage to get the first double-digit win season in FBS ever after Fritz destroyed the roster? Amazing.
    "Follow the trendlines, not the headlines." -Steven Pinker (?)

REgardling football Scheduling.

10. Default Re: Can Debesse and this team...

Quote Originally Posted by eaglewraith View Post
    I honestly think we would have been fine with Dean's scheme. But we ran some kind of amalgamation and then throw in Summers' influence (like that flexbone shotgun look that was just completely terrible), and you see what happened.
    I agree with you about Dean's scheme. I think the problem was with ONE man and it wasn't Summers. Gillespie ruined this offense single handily. He knows nothing about running the zone read much less option football. He was a Hatcher disciple. Heck, Shuman threw over 300 passes his senior year with Gillespie coaching. Gillespie is who i blame for the program to such a bad point. That being said, our defense was terrible but they were on the field a lot