TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Georgia fills slots on football schedules but no Georgia Southern

Default Re: Georgia fills slots on football schedules but no Georgia Southern

Quote Originally Posted by StatesboroBluesman View Post
    I understand there are a lot of feelings involved here. I would rather bleed out than talk about our feelings. There isn't any sadness breakfast foods can't fix. So put your tears back in your eyes where they belong folks.
    —Ron Swanson?

Quote Originally Posted by boroeagle2 View Post
    —Ron Swanson?
    I need to break out my "Mouse Rat" T-shirt!

Quote Originally Posted by Pike51 View Post
    There is something to keeping revenues in state though. Why should GS fans take their money to Louisiana, North Carolina, or Minnesota when we could play against in state opponents. Likewise, we should play Mercer and KSU instead of Maine. (Fair is fair). Sure, it's great to being our of state fans to Statesboro... but who would bring more fans? Maine or Mercer? In state games are nothing but a win for everyone from a financial point of view. And isn't it all about the $$$?
    I agree and differ from you slightly.
    I have heard the argument that it doesn't make a difference really as far as in state $. For instance: We play an Auburn and bring 1.7 Mil back to the state (minus expenses). UGA plays a Ark. State and pays out the same money, and they say it's a wash.

BUT - I ask you how many fans traveling from an Ark State bring how much money to the state versus how much money/people travel out of state from Southern fans going to Auburn?
    One could argue that more hotel rooms are rented to Red Wolf fans because most Southern fans just drive up for the day. Maybe that's true and maybe Ark St fans travel well? But it doesn't hold water for many of the other teams they play. i think you have to evaluate it on a team by team basis. Besides, I think we actually book more rooms in Athens than Ark State will based on the fact that it isn't easy finding a room if you wait too long when we've played them before, I had to book a room in Commerce one year.

I think you have to consider how well a team travels & is it a game that people want to see? Like, how many people really want to see a GaSt versus UGA game? BOTH of GAST's fans? Versus how many might want to see a rematch of the overtime game the last time we went to Athens. Regardless of what happened versus the dawgs when we were 1-AA, in the only game that they have faced an FBS Georgia Southern game - it took them to overtime to pull off a win that they nearly didn't even get to overtime in. THAT is game that is worth watching. Consider that we travel well and I can argue that playing us makes more sense than playing a Mercer or GAST or KSU. And I'm not just talking about traveling well to an Athens or Atlanta, but playing that game INSTEAD of "Traveling" our money out of state. THAT money has to be put up against how much money "travels" in with the other team's fans.
    More money is likely to be brought into the state from traveling Red Wolf fans, than would be traveled out of the state by Panther fans to any out of state game, but GAST will (should) bring back a similar FBS pay out from somewhere out of state.

Quote Originally Posted by TrueBlueDrew View Post
    Last I heard, Mercer wanted far too much money to drive 2 hours down I-16. They can barely compete in the FCS. They have no chance of winning against any FBS competition. Why play GS and get paid 400k when they could fill that schedule spot with Auburn (just announced for 2022) and make 800k? They’re going to get blown out either way so they should maximize their profits while they’re at it.
    Didn’t Mercer already play AU.....and it was like 24-10?
    Poster formerly known as gudp1

Anyone have a count of how many fans we took to Athens in 2015? From a business perspective, I don’t see how a WKU or UMass team could fill seats better than a game against us could.

Quote Originally Posted by BleuEagle View Post
    Anyone have a count of how many fans we took to Athens in 2015? From a business perspective, I don’t see how a WKU or UMass team could fill seats better than a game against us could.
    If they announce sell outs for every game then what argument is there to be made about how many we brought?

Fans from WKU and UMass would also be more likely to get hotels in the area.

Doesn't matter on the business end. UGA sells out every game no matter the opponent.
    Now as to actual attendance....*gasp* https://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/...s/Georgia.aspx
    Their G day spring game pretty much counts as a 13th game as far as local revenue....and if you read the article actually outdraws their highest attended game.

Impossible to know beyond our allotment, and thousands more bought on the secondary market, and no one is tracking that. Plus how many were invited by a fan/alumni of ugag that is a season ticket holder? Or was given a ticket from a booster/season ticket holder?
    No longer eating crow for saying "The TO is gone get over it!!"

9. Default Re: Georgia fills slots on football schedules but no Georgia Southern

Quote Originally Posted by eaglewraith View Post
    If they announce sell outs for every game then what argument is there to be made about how many we brought?

Fans from WKU and UMass would also be more likely to get hotels in the area.
    When elite fans from UMass came to Statesboro, rumor was they they each wore a starched white dress shirt and had a $100 bill and never changed either one.

Quote Originally Posted by yourmother View Post
    *Has a firm grasp of sarcasm.