TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Our Fan Base

Default Our Fan Base

What do we want to be known for?

Iím seeing a lot of comments I disagree with as far as how we should treat fans of other programs.

When itís warranted I agree with being unpleasant back. To me thatís UGA, APP St and nobody else that Iíve encountered. Thatís not to say there hasnít been an isolated event like when I was at the Mercer basketball game in Macon almost 20 years ago before they even had an arena and the teams went at it after the refs left.

Every fan base has unpleasant fans and many of them arenít even alums. Letís not be one of those.

I went to a bowl game in Shreveport 10 years ago with an Aggie friend when they played UGA. I experienced very rude Bulldog fans and very gracious Aggie fans. In approximately 25 away games while I was in college, UGA, App, and to a much lesser degree Furman and Delaware were the only ones I ever had issue with.

Maybe Iím overreacting here but I just donít understand the hate and lack of hospitality to our Opponents and guests in the boro. Almost everyone else rolls out the red carpet for us. Just a thought....do right.

Default Re: Our Fan Base

Oh our fan base has a terrible reputation and that will NEVER change. I say embrace it...I also don't know that the reputation isn't deserved.

3. Default Re: Our Fan Base

You can only control what you can control.

I was at the Auburn game and was very impressed by the graciousness of the fans I met. I hear Clemson was the same.

I also remember being at the 1999 NC and seeing some fool drunk guy with out gear on threatening everyone and trying to get in fights.

Every fan base has its spectrum. just be on whichever side is right for you.

We should treat all visiting fans at Paulson as guest.
    Bleu (formerly Bcube) in the non cyber world is Bill Bates.

You can only be responsible for yourself and your group. I think we should be gracious and respectful hosts and guests with everyone. Honestly, I've had some of my best experiences with App fans. The vast majority of any fan base will be just fine. Everyone has a few bad apples, including us. Unfortunately, I think we have more disrespectful fans than we should.
    Quote Originally Posted by StanMolsonMan View Post
    Because.... We're idiots.

I always make it a habit to go up to visiting fans and say "hi, welcome to GS, glad you came". And that is in all sports not just football. Acting like an emotional dork, is just that, your a dork.

You can talk trash to people and not be rude about it.

There's a difference between booing stuff on the field and talking trash about a team, and getting in someone's face and acting a fool. A hostile game day experience doesn't also have to be a nasty one.

Visiting fans should never be worried. They should feel that we love our team and hate theirs, but it should never cause them any concern. I'd welcome any visiting fan to my tailgate as well. I do want people to enjoy their trip to the stadium, just not the game itself.

I make it a point to respectfully talk to as many visiting fans as possible when I leave the stadium. Hell I even went up to a ULM fan last year and congratulated them on the game although I wanted to make him swallow the duck call he'd been blowing all afternoon.

A lot of the bad experience people have comes from the fans put down near the student section, which is a mistake. Visitor seating is supposedly only sold in the deck, and that's really where they should stay. You're just asking for trouble by putting them in the lower part of the stadium without any separation.

Quote Originally Posted by eaglewraith View Post
    A lot of the bad experience people have comes from the fans put down near the student section, which is a mistake. Visitor seating is supposedly only sold in the deck, and that's really where they should stay. You're just asking for trouble by putting them in the lower part of the stadium without any separation.
    Visitors still sit in on the lower level in the section closest to the Bishop building. They walk the same concourse and steps to get up to the concession area, which is just asking for trouble. Compare that to App State, where the visitor seats are next to some of the more expensive booster seats and aren't anywhere near students.

Moreover, after ULM students threw water bottles at our players last year no one is allowed to say we have the worst fan base. If that can happen with a tiny student section imagine what can happen with our big student section sitting behind the visiting team's bench.
    "Follow the trendlines, not the headlines." -Steven Pinker (?)

REgardling football Scheduling.

We should behave ourselves and be courteous to all comers.

Hell, we should even be nice to Furman people.
    Thanks, Rastabot!
    www.247sports.com/porkchops

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob View Post
    Visitors still sit in on the lower level in the section closest to the Bishop building. They walk the same concourse and steps to get up to the concession area, which is just asking for trouble. Compare that to App State, where the visitor seats are next to some of the more expensive booster seats and aren't anywhere near students.

Moreover, after ULM students threw water bottles at our players last year no one is allowed to say we have the worst fan base. If that can happen with a tiny student section imagine what can happen with our big student section sitting behind the visiting team's bench.
    At ULM there's very little space behind the sideline. At least we do have a bit of a buffer in terms of linear space separation between the players and students. Students were basically leaning over the rails into the ears of players on the bench in Monroe.

That stadium is just so trash.