TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

View Poll Results: Which game was greater?

Voters
46. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1985 Furman

30 65.22%
  • 2013 Florida

16 34.78%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: [GREATEST GAMES - FINAL] 1985 Furman vs 2013 Florida

Default [GREATEST GAMES - FINAL] 1985 Furman vs 2013 Florida

Default Re: [GREATEST GAMES - FINAL] 1985 Furman vs 2013 Florida

Championship round - ironic that this finale sort of bookends our FCS era. Tough call on which one should be #1, but I think I know who will prevail.

Quote Originally Posted by PowerEagle View Post
    Championship round - ironic that this finale sort of bookends our FCS era. Tough call on which one should be #1, but I think I know who will prevail.
    85 is gonna win because of the large number of people on this board that were around for the game.

And really, what you're seeing is a comparison of eras of football...everything prior to ~1996 is a different world than it is now, especially regarding FCS. If FCS still carried the level of esteem it did back then, I think you could say it's a pretty fair comparison. I mean at one point, the national championship was played on network TV (CBS) and carried a premier broadcast team for the time.

But just look at recently what happened on Klak's Twitter. The number of views for the winning TD in the Florida game more than tripled the number of views that the winning TD in the 85 game had.

All this not to discount what the 85 game meant for this program, and it was a lot, but if I have to look at the two, I'm picking UF every time.

This was a tough one. I was in school for the 1985 NC and to this day wish I had been able to travel to Tacoma to see the game. I feel one (1985 NC) was our introduction as a serious FCS program while the 2013 victory over Florida was a great signature win to close out the FCS era and have momentum for our first FBS season. I voted for the 1985 NC because I consider it the first major hurdle we cleared as a program and it was against the purple ones.

Tough call, but I went with Florida. 1985 was one of the great Cinderella stories in sports, but I cannot honestly say I think the program would be any different today had we not won that game. When you go to game at an SEC stadium more people know about the Florida win and even the "**** through a tin horn" game than the amazing run in the 1980s. I wish that were not the case, but it is.
    "Follow the trendlines, not the headlines." -Steven Pinker (?)

REgardling football Scheduling.

This might be somewhat of a generational thing but the 1985 title comeback win was a fitting conclusion to what was an incredible run to the title, definitely in the top 3 improbable titles in 1-AA/FCS history along with '98 UMASS and '04 JMU.

Winning @MTSU, @UNI, and vs Furman in Tacoma, WA in consecutive weeks was nothing short of incredible, a miracle, especially given how good each of those opponents was. IMO the title game has to be viewed as part 3 of the entirety of that run of 3 games to truly appreciate its impact.

Quote Originally Posted by eaglewraith View Post
    85 is gonna win because of the large number of people on this board that were around for the game.

And really, what you're seeing is a comparison of eras of football...everything prior to ~1996 is a different world than it is now, especially regarding FCS. If FCS still carried the level of esteem it did back then, I think you could say it's a pretty fair comparison. I mean at one point, the national championship was played on network TV (CBS) and carried a premier broadcast team for the time.

But just look at recently what happened on Klak's Twitter. The number of views for the winning TD in the Florida game more than tripled the number of views that the winning TD in the 85 game had.

All this not to discount what the 85 game meant for this program, and it was a lot, but if I have to look at the two, I'm picking UF every time.
    On one of those plays that Klak posted, Jim Nance was the announcer. That tells you how far FCS has fallen as far as TV is concerned.
    No longer eating crow for saying "The TO is gone get over it!!"

Quote Originally Posted by 1peatfor7 View Post
    On one of those plays that Klak posted, Jim Nance was the announcer. That tells you how far FCS has fallen as far as TV is concerned.
    Well, that in combination with the strides Nance has made as an announcer in 35 years.

9. Default Re: [GREATEST GAMES - FINAL] 1985 Furman vs 2013 Florida

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob View Post
    Tough call, but I went with Florida. 1985 was one of the great Cinderella stories in sports, but I cannot honestly say I think the program would be any different today had we not won that game. When you go to game at an SEC stadium more people know about the Florida win and even the "**** through a tin horn" game than the amazing run in the 1980s. I wish that were not the case, but it is.
    Same with App State. P5 fans still hate when their team has to play them because of a game they won 12 years ago. No one talks about their 3 straight FCS titles.

Quote Originally Posted by GSUfanforever View Post
    Well, that in combination with the strides Nance has made as an announcer in 35 years.
    Well, Nantz was doing play by play for NFL on the radio at that time already, and had been in the booth for the Masters the year before. The year after the 1990 title game he was in the booth for NFL games.

He was starting to become a prime guy at CBS at that time.

However, the fact that the game was on CBS at the time is quite significant by itself. Households used to some version of public broadcast, NBC, ABC, CBS. That was it.