TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

View Poll Results: Which game was greater?

Voters
46. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1985 Furman

30 65.22%
  • 2013 Florida

16 34.78%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: [GREATEST GAMES - FINAL] 1985 Furman vs 2013 Florida

Default Re: [GREATEST GAMES - FINAL] 1985 Furman vs 2013 Florida

‘85. No hesitation. No question.

Quote Originally Posted by EAGLEX2 View Post
    THIS ^^^^
    The first playoff game was at home with Jackson State, a HUGE team meant to dispatch us early, and we shut them out 27-0.
    The second one was MTSU in Murfreesboro and it was sweet revenge for the 1st and only home(and embarrassing) loss Erk experienced in Paulson as head coach. We jumped them early and hung on for a 28-21 win. Truthfully, MTSU wasn't ready. Then it was Northern Iowa in that Unidome of theirs for the semis and we outscored them in a track meet when Ham broke around the end and made it 40-33.
    The Furman game was in Tacoma Washington in the Tacoma Dome. Yep, 2 teams 150 miles apart, fly 3000 miles across country to play.. Furman jumped out to a 21-6 halftime lead and looked unstoppable. They added another TD midway through the 3rd quarter making it 28-6...…..and then HAM BLEW IT UP passing the ball in a display I've never seen the likes of in all my years watching GS.

Quote Originally Posted by EAGLEX2 View Post
    100% yes
    Brian Brennan
    1995 BBA Finance
    Eagle fan since 1982

4. Default Re: [GREATEST GAMES - FINAL] 1985 Furman vs 2013 Florida

Two great games, but a football victory over Furman or the Florida Gators... No doubt, I'll take the programs only P5 win, every time.

A loss in ‘85 would still have left us with a great 12-win season, eventually 5 NC’s and several future victory's over Furman.

A loss at Florida would leave us with a 0-whatever record against P5’s and label GS arguably the best ever college football program to never have beaten a P5.

The greatest game in our programs history is very clear to me.

One of these games we threw for 400+, the other for 0. I think that’s interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by EAGLEMAN View Post
    Two great games, but a football victory over Furman or the Florida Gators... No doubt, I'll take the programs only P5 win, every time.

A loss in ‘85 would still have left us with a great 12-win season, eventually 5 NC’s and several future victory's over Furman.

A loss at Florida would leave us with a 0-whatever record against P5’s and label GS arguably the best ever college football program to never have beaten a P5.

The greatest game in our programs history is very clear to me.
    I just can't get down with this logic, and IMO it's just a continuation of the "what have you done lately" and "FCS is minor leagues" mentality that has taken over since we moved up. 2013 was a not real good GS team playing an even worse Florida team. Had we not choked against NCSU, GT, UGA, OSU, and some of the other P5s we've played over the years (and most of whom were decent at the time) '13 UF wouldn't even be in this conversation. The 85 NC was a Cinderella game to cap off a Cinderella season.

7. Default Re: [GREATEST GAMES - FINAL] 1985 Furman vs 2013 Florida

Quote Originally Posted by Army Eagle View Post
    I just can't get down with this logic, and IMO it's just a continuation of the "what have you done lately" and "FCS is minor leagues" mentality that has taken over since we moved up. 2013 was a not real good GS team playing an even worse Florida team. Had we not choked against NCSU, GT, UGA, OSU, and some of the other P5s we've played over the years (and most of whom were decent at the time) '13 UF wouldn't even be in this conversation. The 85 NC was a Cinderella game to cap off a Cinderella season.
    Both games were played within our FCS area, but the UF victory isn't as good because it is more recent? I don't understand that logic.

Agreed, if we had not choked in those other P5 games, the UF win wouldn't be as impactful as it is right now (albeit still a great accomplishment), but the fact is we did choke. We have lost every single P5 game our program has ever played, except for one... UF. However, what we have accomplished several times is winning NC's and beating Furman. I feel like the UF win more cultivates an air of exclusivity, thus our greatest game.

IMO you're not a Cinderella team when your ranked majority of the season, ranked in the top-10 going into the playoffs and average 35pts in 4 playoff games.

8. Default Re: [GREATEST GAMES - FINAL] 1985 Furman vs 2013 Florida

That Florida team was not as bad as their record claimed. All four of their wins were by 2+ scores, and 4 of their losses were by a combined 19 points.

9. Default Re: [GREATEST GAMES - FINAL] 1985 Furman vs 2013 Florida

Quote Originally Posted by Army Eagle View Post
    The "FCS is minor leagues" mentality took over in the late 90's when TV networks started to pull out and media coverage of it plummeted...pretty similar to what's been happening with the non-qualifiers/G5 teams in the last 10 years.

I voted for '85 because of the impact it had on our program overall. We likely received more national publicity for beating UF, but we aren't Georgia Southern without that '85 victory. However, if the question was asked today "would you rather win the FCS title in 2019 or beat a major SEC program?" I'm going with the latter every time.

Quote Originally Posted by kdarnell233 View Post
    The "FCS is minor leagues" mentality took over in the late 90's when TV networks started to pull out and media coverage of it plummeted...pretty similar to what's been happening with the non-qualifiers/G5 teams in the last 10 years.

I voted for '85 because of the impact it had on our program overall. We likely received more national publicity for beating UF, but we aren't Georgia Southern without that '85 victory. However, if the question was asked today "would you rather win the FCS title in 2019 or beat a major SEC program?" I'm going with the latter every time.
    +1