TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: CCL and his onside kicks...

Default Re: CCL and his onside kicks...

Quote Originally Posted by KJ Eagle View Post
    But did it hurt us? It was early in the game and he had confidence in the defense's ability to stop them and the offense's ability to score more points than Maine. Other than up by a bunch (when it would be considered piling on) when would it not have put us in a bad situation to give them field position like that? Giving the other team the ball to start at mid-field is always a bad situation.
    The net result was Maine starting on the GS 41, so it hurt us in that we gave them 34 extra yards of field assuming Bass would have normally kicked it out of the endzone like normal. Fortunately, the drive stalled and they missed a field goal.

I suppose the question we have to ask is- is it worth giving up 1/3rd of the field in an attempt to possibly recover a kickoff or is our defense more likely to force a punt early enough in the drive to where our starting field position on our next offensive series will be better than if Maine recovers the kick and where their drive finishes? There's no definite answer to that question but that's what we gave up.

Quote Originally Posted by GSUfanforever View Post

I suppose the question we have to ask is- is it worth giving up 1/3rd of the field in an attempt to possibly recover a kickoff or is our defense more likely to force a punt early enough in the drive to where our starting field position on our next offensive series will be better than if Maine recovers the kick and where their drive finishes? .
    Kevin Kelley says yes.
    Quote Originally Posted by StanMolsonMan View Post
    Because.... We're idiots.

Quote Originally Posted by KJ Eagle View Post
    But did it hurt us? It was early in the game and he had confidence in the defense's ability to stop them and the offense's ability to score more points than Maine. Other than up by a bunch (when it would be considered piling on) when would it not have put us in a bad situation to give them field position like that? Giving the other team the ball to start at mid-field is always a bad situation.
    It was the second quarter. Maine had shown the ability to shorten the game (app. 8 minute drive in the first quarter). We had just scored our first TD to take a four-point lead, yet instead of kicking deep and playing to our talent advantage, we give them the ball at OUR 41.

We were lucky they missed the FG, but then we started on our own 23 and went three and out. They took over on their own 49.

The result was bad enough that the effort simply wasn’t worth it. If Maine punches it in or even hits the FG, we would have been in pretty bad shape. Even as it was, we flipped the field on ourselves.

Make a less-talented team EARN everything. Don’t leave things to chance. The worst team in the world has exactly the same chance as the best team in the world when it comes to a coin toss.

There are plenty of times—I guess—when an onside kick is worth the risk. That wasn’t one of them.
    Last edited by pete4256; 10th September 2019 at 12:36 PM.
    Thanks, Rastabot!
    www.247sports.com/porkchops

I don't mind the OK call if you see something...but we just looked like we didn't practice for it and no real plan.

I can't remember if it was Monken or Friz where we had the OK play where a bunch of guys run to block the front line of the return team while one guy runs to go get the ball. That's the kind of thing you have to have ready IMO.

Don't care for the call, but it's not worth getting bent out of shape over.
    "Follow the trendlines, not the headlines." -Steven Pinker (?)

Regarding football Scheduling.

I do think it would be interesting to see how many touchdowns we gave up inside the red zone versus outside the red zone. I'm thinking "bend don't break" defense. If you give the offense a shorter field, there is less field for DB's to cover. Thus, eliminating a portion of the offense. Less plays to pull from means less to defend. In theory, it could work... but in reality I don't think that's the case. Reminds me of Moneyball a little bit.
    Quote Originally Posted by StanMolsonMan View Post
    Because.... We're idiots.

Quote Originally Posted by Pike51 View Post
    Kevin Kelley says yes.
    It's one thing if a team does it EVERY time and that's all they practice- they will become very well-versed in how to execute it. I can't imagine we spend much time on it and when we've got a guy offsides on a kick and our all-everything kicker can't place the ball correctly, it makes me think we should stay away from it unless it's absolutely necessary.

All this to say, I still don't think it was as bad as our game 2011 game against Tusculum when Monken onside kicked it up 38-14 and the guy ran it back for a touchdown. I mean that one was a real head scratcher.

All this to say, I still don't think it was as bad as our game 2011 game against Tusculum when Monken onside kicked it up 38-14 and the guy ran it back for a touchdown. I mean that one was a real head scratcher.
    Yep. But at least that one wouldn’t have put us in a bad situation . . . unless it was returned for TD. (smile)

I wasn’t a fan of Monken’s sense of sportsmanship. Of course, if I’m being honest I care more about winning than sportsmanship.
    Thanks, Rastabot!

The net result was Maine starting on the GS 41, so it hurt us in that we gave them 34 extra yards of field assuming Bass would have normally kicked it out of the endzone like normal. Fortunately, the drive stalled and they missed a field goal.

I suppose the question we have to ask is- is it worth giving up 1/3rd of the field in an attempt to possibly recover a kickoff or is our defense more likely to force a punt early enough in the drive to where our starting field position on our next offensive series will be better than if Maine recovers the kick and where their drive finishes? There's no definite answer to that question but that's what we gave up.
    Bingo!, we have a winner.

Quote Originally Posted by garns 4 View Post
    Bingo!, we have a winner.
    It’s like that swinging gate PAT we ran unsuccessfully against UTC in 2011. That almost cost us the game.

Just because it’s in the playbook doesn’t mean you have to run it.
    Thanks, Rastabot!