TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Minnesota Score Prediction Thread

1. Default Re: Minnesota Score Prediction Thread

Quote Originally Posted by kdarnell233 View Post
    Minnesota hasn't exactly dominated in their first two games either.

35-28 over South Dakota State, a top 10 FCS team, like Maine

38-35 over Fresno State, who while great last year, lost the majority of their starters to graduation.

If Minnesota struggled to put away a good FCS team and a G5 that should be in somewhat of a rebuilding year, there's no reason why Southern can't go up there and make a game out of it.
    We are arguably not as good as either SDSU or Fresno State at this point.

Default Re: Minnesota Score Prediction Thread

3. Default Re: Minnesota Score Prediction Thread

Quote Originally Posted by BIGBIRD73 View Post
    We are arguably not as good as either SDSU or Fresno State at this point.
    Fresno was one of the best G5 teams in the country last year, but they returned the least amount of production of any G5 this season so it's hard to say.

SDSU is 3 spots ahead of Maine in the FCS Top 25. Considering we just beat Maine, I would not agree that we are "arguably" not as good as SDSU.

4. Default Re: Minnesota Score Prediction Thread

Quote Originally Posted by PowerEagle View Post
    Also, Minnesota put up 40+ pts twice last season, against Purdue and NM State.
    We scored 40+ against USA, NM State, and Coastal last season. Both GS and Minnesota scored exactly 48 points against NMST

Quote Originally Posted by TrueBlueDrew View Post
    We scored 40+ against USA, NM State, and Coastal last season. Both GS and Minnesota scored exactly 48 points against NMST
    I'm just wondering why everyone thinks Minn is going to score 40+ on us. They don't have a prolific high scoring offense, and in the past 2 seasons we have given up 40+ points twice - to LSU and ULM, both teams that like to sling the ball around.

I think our defense can keep us in this one, hopefully the offense can show up and make it a game.

My gosh, I'm starting to sound like BillyBob with all this optimism

Minnesota has some real good WRs which I think will pick our defense apart- Rashod Bateman out of Tift committed to us but then flipped to the Gophers in the 2017 class. My thought is that if we fumble the ball anywhere near 7 times against Minnesota they will finish drives unlike Maine. Minnesota scoring 10 points per quarter isn't out of the question to me.

Eagles 30
    Gophers 27

Gophers take the early lead while we "dissect the defense" most of the first quarter. We slip up on play action after their RB causes us to focus up the middle. Ugly first half of field possession and field goals. 13-6 Gophers at half.

Good guys come out strong in the 3rd and get a few big plays to set up some short drive scores. Back and forth second half. Bass with the game winner on our final drive. We stop them short on theirs.

Quote Originally Posted by GSUfanforever View Post
    Minnesota has some real good WRs which I think will pick our defense apart- Rashod Bateman out of Tift committed to us but then flipped to the Gophers in the 2017 class. My thought is that if we fumble the ball anywhere near 7 times against Minnesota they will finish drives unlike Maine. Minnesota scoring 10 points per quarter isn't out of the question to me.
    Honestly, I don't think good single receivers are nearly as much of a problem for our defense as when we've got teams frequently sending 4 or 5 eligible guys down field. LSU has basically become a passing team and Maine is about 55-45 in favor of running. Minnesota has a 2:1 ratio of runs to passes. I think our defense and secondary will be a lot more comfortable against what they do offensively.

If Minnesota doesn't get some help from our offense, I'll go ahead and say they won't score as much as at least a few Sun Belt teams we play.
    "Follow the trendlines, not the headlines." -Steven Pinker (?)

Regarding football Scheduling.

Quote Originally Posted by The Duke View Post
    I hope the hell I am wrong but I think the Golden Gophers will prevail on Saturday. Even if our coaches can help correct a lot of the mistakes the team made on Saturday we still need to start fast and score early on offense and I am not confident that we can. We simple waste too many possessions (3 and outs usually) with those dive plays into a crowded box with very little push from the O-Line......thatís not gonna cut it. Besides, I am certain Coach PJ Fleck will have his team ready to play because he is still sore about the shellacking his Western Michigan team took in Paulson Stadium a few years ago.

Gophers 38
    Eagles 14
    You do realize that the multiple dive plays into the middle are what springs the outside runs and the dump passes for long gains right? We did the EXACT same thing over and over again in the Flex too. How many times in the past did we go two quarters with very little and then start to break the game open with long gains? I know it feels like beating our head against a brick wall sometimes, but it's not really anything new. We absolutely need the OL to block a little better and open some holes for the ones up the middle to actually gain some yards too, and we need to fix our short yardage blocking.
    Anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice. Ammo is cheap. Life is expensive

44-23 Gophers win
    Bass makes 3 long FGs