TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: FBS Expectations

1. Default FBS Expectations

Found it interesting reading thru some of the stuff said about Maine and our expectations - Maine was ranked #6 in FCS coming into the game on Saturday. Six years ago - we would have been happy and thankful about winning against a top 10 FCS team without our starting QB...

This thread isn't supposed to call anyone out, but take a look at some of the quotes after the game:

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernPride View Post
    We need an entire offseason of work to fix this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilovemyschool View Post
    Coach Lunsford has a very concerned look on his face.. as we all do I'm sure
    Quote Originally Posted by gasouthern01 View Post
    Feels like the Savannah state win to open the season in summers first year.
    Quote Originally Posted by trueeagle98 View Post
    What the heck did they do all offseason? This is a bad joke. I didnt know what to think after LSU and was giving the benefit of the doubt. But now I believe there are serious issues with this team.

They need to get humble, fly right, and GATA. This crap won't win another game all season.
    Quote Originally Posted by BIGBIRD73 View Post
    Well that was embarrassing. This may be the least satisfying win in program history.
    Again, I want to be clear - this isn't supposed to call anyone out - but instead to realize where we have come from, and also hopefully help people realize that we have come a very long ways. Our expectations are higher now - and that's a good thing. This highlights that our program has already taken the next step.

What's the next step after this? Consistency. We have to be consistently good at this level, not occasionally good. Go Eagles.
    Jordan Wilson
    @ GSU from 2005-2008
    KSU c/o 2012 Computer Science

Default Re: FBS Expectations

See UCF a couple of years ago. They had the perfect FBS/G5 season a FBS/G5 team can have, undefeated and access bowl win! Perfection. That is what we strive for. To become the 2nd team in G5 history to do it.

Expectations - average 8+ wins a season, compete for the conference title, and win a bowl game. We're never going to the current CFP format even with back to back 13-0 seasons. It's just reality that NCAAFB does not want the little guys competing with the big boys, unlike March Madness or the CWS.
    No longer eating crow for saying "The TO is gone get over it!!"

4. Default Re: FBS Expectations

Quote Originally Posted by NCEagleMan05 View Post
    Six years ago - we would have been happy and thankful about winning against a top 10 FCS team without our starting QB...
    It doesn't really matter because we're going to play the rest of the season regardless and we will find out soon enough how good we are, but #6 in FCS these days is a far cry from the #6 in FCS 10 years ago.

5. Default Re: FBS Expectations

Nothing new here, our culture is to never be satisfied with mediocrity.

I don't believe anyone on this board thinks we should be Boise State right now. I think the people doing the most complaining have an agenda or are just dumb (or both).

Understand I'm not talking about anyone who says anything negative. I don't mind people questioning whether the coaching staff has gotten complacent and needs to start doing more scolding of players. I don't mind people questioning the depth or talent at certain positions or why we're making mistakes in year 2 with the same coaching staff. I don't mind people saying we should've competed with LSU better than we did (that's true).

But a lot of the comments in the game thread are just plain stupid, and the first and fifth post quoted in the OP are examples of that, as well as saying CBD is the worst OC we've ever had and blaming our first two games on the staff's recruiting when the only class they had on a full recruiting cycle are a bunch of true freshmen.

When you take all that prattling away, you've got concerned fans that aren't really expecting a NY6 bowl, they just wanted that we played better up to this point than we did.
    Last edited by BillyBob; 9th September 2019 at 09:28 AM.
    "Follow the trendlines, not the headlines." -Steven Pinker (?)

Regarding football Scheduling.

Quote Originally Posted by buddyroe View Post
    #6 in FCS these days is a far cry from the #6 in FCS 10 years ago.
    Not sure I agree with this statement.

In 2010, #4 App State, #5 Georgia Southern, #6 Wofford. Not sure Maine was any worse or better than those teams.
    Quote Originally Posted by StanMolsonMan View Post
    Because.... We're idiots.

8. Default Re: FBS Expectations

I....pretty much agree with every quote up there except for the "entire off season to fix this." I was very vocal about not overreacting to the LSU game, and that we would be fine when we actually have film and aren't playing a team full of future NFLers. An 8 point win over an FCS program didn't exactly help my case.

Quote Originally Posted by Pike51 View Post
    Not sure I agree with this statement.

In 2010, #4 App State, #5 Georgia Southern, #6 Wofford. Not sure Maine was any worse or better than those teams.
    +1 and lets not even bring up NDSU. You know that team that beat us twice during those "glory years" of powerful FCS football.

Quote Originally Posted by garns 4 View Post
    +1 and lets not even bring up NDSU. You know that team that beat us twice during those "glory years" of powerful FCS football.
    2011 and 2012 are not what I'd call the "glory years" of FCS football, which is why I don't grade Monken's coaching job here as highly as some do.

But I will say Maine could probably beat a dozen G5 teams and we beat them after self-destructing on several red zone attempts. It's really promising and concerning at the same time. This season could possibly take a turn for some really good places or really bad ones.
    "Follow the trendlines, not the headlines." -Steven Pinker (?)

Regarding football Scheduling.