TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: FBS Expectations

Default Re: FBS Expectations

Quote Originally Posted by pete4256 View Post
    I don’t agree with that. Fritz inherited a talented, experienced, extremely-coached line that dominated in 2014.

Then, all of them but Darien Foreman were gone. The 2015 line featured Foreman (who was probably the best, if not Kwon) along with four new starters who played pretty darn well in 2015 and then struggled mightily as a unit in 2016 and 2017. The same core was solid in 2018, but they weren’t world beaters, either.

I still don’t know how that OL played so well in 2015 and so inconsistently afterward. Or maybe I do know.

*It may be worth mentioning that Foreman, Kwon, and Northrup were Brent Davis recruits; I don’t know.

I’m pretty sure you know the answer to that. Two very good, if not great (I’d say great) OL coaches back to back with a D1 S&C program followed by a buffoon of an OL coach and a GISA S&C program.
    Quote Originally Posted by NO_QUARTER View Post
    I actually considered getting into a debate with Half one time (on something unimportant). But then chickened out because I knew my a$$ was about to get handed to me.

Quote Originally Posted by half-n-half View Post
    I’m pretty sure you know the answer to that. Two very good, if not great (I’d say great) OL coaches back to back with a D1 S&C program followed by a buffoon of an OL coach and a GISA S&C program.
    I still think we're going to deal with the lack/regression of development from those 2 years and the discontinuity in OL recruiting for a bit with all the changes we had from Spring 2016 - Spring 2018.

Allen Mogridge is Butch Davis' AHC at FIU, which I suspect has become a title for the top recruiting hand on staff, but that's beside the point.

I honestly don't think the offensive coaching staff in 2016 was that bad, TBH. Tyson Summers was basically the Elizabeth Holmes of football coaching when it came to his offensive staff...brought in smart people who didn't and couldn't work in concert and didn't really have the expertise to know the vision they were working towards was never going to work.

Brian Cook on the other hand was just not ready to be an OC and we wouldn't have got him for the price we did if Paul Johnson wanted to keep him.
    "Follow the trendlines, not the headlines." -Steven Pinker (?)

Regarding football Scheduling.

Quote Originally Posted by eaglewraith View Post
    I still think we're going to deal with the lack/regression of development from those 2 years and the discontinuity in OL recruiting for a bit with all the changes we had from Spring 2016 - Spring 2018.

I don’t think there is any question we will. I know people don’t like to hear about UGA but they had a bad OL situation when Kirby took over. He hired the best OL coach and recruiter in all of college football and it still took until now (4 years) to get them to an elite level. My point in all that is that it took until year 4 even with the best in the business and 5* recruits.

OL and DL regressions take the longest to recover from because you can’t just recruit and plug like sill positions. Assuming our recruiting pans out and we get good development and continuity in the coaching we are still 2-3 years away from having a chance to get back to 2014-2015 levels.
    I actually considered getting into a debate with Half one time (on something unimportant). But then chickened out because I knew my a$$ was about to get handed to me.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob View Post
    Allen Mogridge is Butch Davis' AHC at FIU, which I suspect has become a title for the top recruiting hand on staff, but that's beside the point.

I honestly don't think the offensive coaching staff in 2016 was that bad, TBH. Tyson Summers was basically the Elizabeth Holmes of football coaching when it came to his offensive staff...brought in smart people who didn't and couldn't work in concert and didn't really have the expertise to know the vision they were working towards was never going to work.

Brian Cook on the other hand was just not ready to be an OC and we wouldn't have got him for the price we did if Paul Johnson wanted to keep him.

Go look at Mogridge’s results as an OL coach. He has no business being one

6. Default Re: FBS Expectations

I don’t think there is any question we will. I know people don’t like to hear about UGA but they had a bad OL situation when Kirby took over. He hired the best OL coach and recruiter in all of college football and it still took until now (4 years) to get them to an elite level. My point in all that is that it took until year 4 even with the best in the business and 5* recruits.

OL and DL regressions take the longest to recover from because you can’t just recruit and plug like sill positions. Assuming our recruiting pans out and we get good development and continuity in the coaching we are still 2-3 years away from having a chance to get back to 2014-2015 levels.
    This is assuming we can keep this staff... every time we get a new staff do we start this process over?

Go look at Mogridge’s results as an OL coach. He has no business being one
    Is it bad for a program with 3 winning seasons in 14 seasons of FBS ball?
    "Follow the trendlines, not the headlines." -Steven Pinker (?)

Regarding football Scheduling.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob View Post

I've said it several times... had we not shoehorned David Dean into running option and let him do his thing, we'd have been more successful. BUT... not only did we force an offense on guys who weren't familiar with it, we also hired the position coaches before we hired the co-OC's. THAT should have never happened.
    Quote Originally Posted by StanMolsonMan View Post
    Because.... We're idiots.

9. Default Re: FBS Expectations

Quote Originally Posted by Pike51 View Post
    I've said it several times... had we not shoehorned David Dean into running option and let him do his thing, we'd have been more successful. BUT... not only did we force an offense on guys who weren't familiar with it, we also hired the position coaches before we hired the co-OC's. THAT should have never happened.
    They knew what they were getting into before they took the job. I find it difficult to believe that we sprung all that on them after they relocated to Statesboro.

I expect to win.

I expect to have issues at times and then clean it up.

I expect to win, I'm not unreasonable... so I only expect to win once a week!

Our personnel issues are going to effect our success. Yet my expectations are to also clean that up.

I DO expect to be a Boise-esque type program. They rose from winning at the 1-AA level like us. Anything they can do, we can do. And each has it's own advantages. They hold the Flagship role in their state and have Fortune 500 companies who support them. We have a better recruiting hotbed, football crazy location and the population potential to grow a fan base much larger than theirs.

We have got to stop shooting ourselves in the foot in so many ways.

I love CL. I hope he is wildly successful here. If so, I will hope that we are smart enough to PAY to keep the continuity. THAT is what it is going to take to rise to where we can be... where WE SHOULD BE. I EXPECT that.

"Expectations must meet dedication" (PJ) OUR fan base MUST realize that to obtain that, we MUST dedicate the funds required to get and hold onto the right staff.
    It's one thing when a major P5 highers your staff away. Another when it is a Tulane or Army. Sometimes we need to leverage the future income to hold onto a staff that we simply cannot afford to let go because the drop off is going to be harsh in fan support/ticket sales and recruiting ... all which keep the money flowing in and keep you growing that revenue.
    We've got to stop resetting when we are good. We have no choice when we are resetting due to failure, but resetting when we are rising only leads to more resetting till we being to rise again.
    That's why it is so important to not drop out of the Eagle Fund when a coach is failing or things are exactly what you want them to be. We have to be dedicated to the cause. But recruiting is hard when you are losing. Not only player recruitment but fan recruitment and season ticket holders. If we sold 10k more season tickets, we could probably hold to our staff a whole lot more consistently.

What do I expect in the FBS? That's a little different than what I expect to happen THIS year. But I expect to be moving closer to winning every week. I expect our fans to stay dedicated and continue to recruit more fans/season ticket holders. Like everything else at GA Southern, it's always been a community project and it continues to take us ALL working together. We aren't through building yet.

We nearly blew Maine out. I think it was 3 times we were inside the 5 and came away with nothing or 3 points. They did a GREAT job against us too. I have a lot of respect for them. They could've won with a few more mistakes on our part and a little better execution. They were never a threat to blow us out though, but to win - they had me worried. I do think our mistakes can be cleaned up in a week and I expect to give the Gophers a run for their money.