TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: From the Gopher Hole - where are the GSU fans?

Default Re: From the Gopher Hole - where are the GSU fans?

Other message board fan bases paint our fan base with a broad stroke of that "gee golly wiz herpty derp, spellin is tuff" shtick.

I used to love it...12 years ago. Nothing wrong at all with flooding an opponent's message board and making our presence known, but there are limitations.

Sorry man.

2. Default Re: From the Gopher Hole - where are the GSU fans?

Quote Originally Posted by The Demoralizer View Post
    Other message board fan bases paint our fan base with a broad stroke of that "gee golly wiz herpty derp, spellin is tuff" shtick.

I used to love it...12 years ago. Nothing wrong at all with flooding an opponent's message board and making our presence known, but there are limitations.

Sorry man.
    I have always embraced that type of talk by our opponents fans. The less serious they take us, the better it is come game time- especially the P5 schools.

Quote Originally Posted by gsueagle18 View Post
    I have always embraced that type of talk by our opponents. The less serious they take us, the better - especially the P5 schools.
    Are you equating online fan chatter with the actual players not taking our team seriously? What we do as fans (outside of yelling in the stadium) has zero impact on the outcome of the game.

C'mon man.

4. Default Re: From the Gopher Hole - where are the GSU fans?

Are you equating online fan chatter with the actual players not taking our team seriously? What we do as fans (outside of yelling in the stadium) has zero impact on the outcome of the game.

C'mon man.
    I'm talking more in terms of a fan perspective. We all know how important these games are for publicity and reputation, just makes it that much sweeter when they realize we aren't a pushover.

C'mon man.
    The Colorado State back-and-forth in 2007 was kind of fun. They had no idea what they were up against as far as our QB and thought we had some kind of ordinary running QB. Since then, meh. And it has nothing to do with not having any confidence anymore.

I suspect it has something to do with it being much easier for message board fans to find information online about the team you're playing than it was 10-20 years ago. Or maybe I've just gotten older. Either way, having 700+ posts on an opponent board just talking about your team is way past WTF territory.
    "Follow the trendlines, not the headlines." -Steven Pinker (?)

Regarding football Scheduling.

6. Default Re: From the Gopher Hole - where are the GSU fans?

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob View Post
    The Colorado State back-and-forth in 2007 was kind of fun. They had no idea what they were up against as far as our QB and thought we had some kind of ordinary running QB. Since then, meh. And it has nothing to do with not having any confidence anymore.

I suspect it has something to do with it being much easier for message board fans to find information online about the team you're playing than it was 10-20 years ago. Or maybe I've just gotten older. Either way, having 700+ posts on an opponent board just talking about your team is way past WTF territory.
    Yeah, I've been on an unnamed (smile) Minnesota board this week and have just been talking football, answering questions, etc. They all seem like really nice people and were genuinely interested in hearing more about our team and program. Most admitted that their belief that this game will be a cake walk is predicated on the fact that they know nothing about us. Once I explained our history, last season, and type of offense they puckered up a bit. It's fun to talk trash sometimes, but you'll get a lot more out of a person by actually having a discussion vs being a bull in a china shop with talking points that no one ever asked for.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob View Post

It's one thing to show up the week of the game.

It's a different one to spend months on their board.

Also, things are different now than they were in 2007. Everything has really moved off of message boards and more toward Facebook/Twitter/Reddit instead of traditional message boards. It's actually fairly unique, especially at the G5 level, to have a message board community as active as ours especially historically.

8. Default Re: From the Gopher Hole - where are the GSU fans?

Quote Originally Posted by eaglewraith View Post
    It's one thing to show up the week of the game.

It's a different one to spend months on their board.

Also, things are different now than they were in 2007. Everything has really moved off of message boards and more toward Facebook/Twitter/Reddit instead of traditional message boards. It's actually fairly unique, especially at the G5 level, to have a message board community as active as ours especially historically.
    Yep, I've yet to find another G5 board as active as this one. Closest thing I can find is Yosef's Cabin. I'm always on r/CFB as well

On the flipside... if they are so interested in chatting with GS fans, why don't they come here?
    Quote Originally Posted by StanMolsonMan View Post
    Because.... We're idiots.

10. Default Re: From the Gopher Hole - where are the GSU fans?

Quote Originally Posted by Pike51 View Post
    On the flipside... if they are so interested in chatting with GS fans, why don't they come here?
    From the ones I've talked to, a lot didn't even know what conference we were in. On the board I was talking to them on, the posted article claimed that they had their easiest game of the year this week. So I politely asked how a 10 win FBS team that retained it's entire staff and returned the majority of their production from last year is easier than a 10 win FCS school in SDSU.

That's what started the conversation, and the more I told them the more they asked and admitted that this wasn't an easy game.