TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: Old conference mates......

Default Re: Old conference mates......

For some of you flex or Spread Triple Option folks

Quote Originally Posted by GATAlac El Dorado View Post
    How would you characterize his tenure at Navy?
    Hawaii- "Johnson was the Rainbow Warriors’ offensive coordinator under Bob Wagner from 1987 through 1994, installing a spread offense that helped UH to its first two NCAA bowl games (1989 and ‘92) and first conference championship (1992)."

Navy's Offensive coordinator
    "In 1995 and 1996, he served as the offensive coordinator at the United States Naval Academy and brought his option offense with him. In 1996, *(Navy recorded its first winning season in 14 years, going 9–3 with a victory in the Aloha Bowl.) Their 9–3 record was the best since 1978 and their 392 points scored were the most in school history up to that point."

**** At GSU Jonson won 86% of his games, was in the playoff all 5 years he was at GSU. Played for 3 National Championships winning 2.

"AS NAVY's Head Coach Paul Johnson era (2002–2007)

2002 - Johnson's initial season saw the Midshipmen win only two of 12 games, though the season ended on a high note with his first victory over Army,[77] which would not beat Navy again until 2016. Subsequently, Johnson's teams enjoyed a high degree of success.

2003 - in 2003 team completed the regular season with an 8–4 mark, including wins over both Air Force and Army, and earned a berth in the Houston Bowl, Navy's first bowl game since 1996. However, the Midshipmen lost to Texas Tech.

2004 - *( In 2004, Johnson's team posted the program's best record since 1957, finishing the regular season at 9–2 and once again earning a bowl berth, this time in the Emerald Bowl. There Johnson coached the Midshipmen to a win over New Mexico, 34–19, the fifth bowl win in the school's history.[ The win gave Navy 10 wins on the season, tying a school record that had stood since 1905. For his efforts, Johnson received the Bobby Dodd Coach of the Year Award.

2005 - The 2005 Navy squad recorded a mark of 8–4, highlighted by victories over Army, Air Force, and Colorado State in the Poinsettia Bowl.

2006 - 9-4 record and schedule
    https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb...-schedule.html

2007 - *(In 2007, Johnson coached the Midshipmen to their first win over rival Notre Dame since 1963, winning 46–44 in triple-overtime. )* Navy finished the season with an 8–5 record.
    Johnson dominated the Commander-in-Chief's Trophy competition, going 11–1 (.917)

Much of Johnson's success was predicated on his triple option flexbone offense, a run-oriented attack that led NCAA Division I-A/FBS football in rushing yards three of his last four years at Navy."
    GSU Spread Option FOOTBALL - out weighed, but never outplayed

Quote Originally Posted by Walt Mitty View Post
    We have a much easier schedule, but I’m doubtful we win more than 2-3 more.
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzz Killington View Post
    We'll eek out 6 wins.
    TALON - WHAT?

PETE - You really think we have a three-win team?

Sigh.

Quote Originally Posted by Army Eagle View Post
    VT was also damn good his first few seasons. PJ won the Orange Bowl with his own guys and finished ranked #7 in the country in '14. What exactly constitutes great for GT in your opinion? GT has the lowest sports spending and revenue out of all of the public universities in the ACC, is a non traditional school with all kinds of academic hurdles that will prevent them ever consistently recruiting top ranked players, yet PJ won his division 1/3 of the time he was there. They have never sustained long term success season to season. Sure, PJ lost a bunch to eventual CFP teams Clemson and FSU in that span, but most teams would have. Hell, his biggest mistake was staying there after 2014, he should've pulled out like your favorite carpetbagger Fritz while the getting was good. But, I get it, you don't like PJ or Monken cuz flexbone.
    I agree!

Quote Originally Posted by EAGLEMAN View Post
    Oddly, I like PJ... a lot, he is my favorite GS HC, but defining his tenure at GT as 'great' is simply ridiculous.

I say 'oddly' because I do not care for Fritz or Monken, at all. They willingly left our program because they wanted to, before they finished the job. Bitter? '
    Yes I was upset Fritz and Monken left but they were winners & did good things at GSU. I'd rather have had them for a few years and win then go back to some of our weak HCs

Can you pick some of those out!

5. Default Re: Old conference mates......

Quote Originally Posted by TALON View Post
    TALON - WHAT?

PETE - You really think we have a three-win team?

Sigh.
    5 wins at best.

I'll say at least 7 more wins +1

7. Default Re: Old conference mates......

Quote Originally Posted by TALON View Post
    I'll say at least 7 more wins +1

I'll believe it IF I see it. (Not holding my breath.)

I am hoping Werts and Kennedy will be back strong enough to make a difference, but MAN I am worried about fundamentals. We already have fumbled as much as the whole of last season, and we as just awful on penalties... From the top 5 least penalized teams to the bottom 10. And 12 yards offense in an entire HALF? I'm not sure I've ever heard of that. We have a LOT of stuff to fix.

We don't get our fundamentals really handled, and this is going to be a rough season. I'm still thinking 4 (maybe 5) conference wins.

Quote Originally Posted by jcountry View Post
    I'll believe it IF I see it. (Not holding my breath.)

I am hoping Werts and Kennedy will be back strong enough to make a difference, but MAN I am worried about fundamentals. We already have fumbled as much as the whole of last season, and we as just awful on penalties... From the top 5 least penalized teams to the bottom 10. And 12 yards offense in an entire HALF? I'm not sure I've ever heard of that. We have a LOT of stuff to fix.

We don't get our fundamentals really handled, and this is going to be a rough season. I'm still thinking 4 (maybe 5) conference wins.
    I think we had negative yards in the first half of the last Auburn game.
    Stark contrast from the first time we played them.

But even with all the miss ques this year we could easily be 2-1. I know, I know, with a few more mistakes we could be 0-3 too. But I think we were closer to 2-1 than 0-3.

I'm hopeful that the return of our starters will be just what the Dr. ordered. So many plays were ALMOST last week so I'm hopeful.
    I have faith that Lunsford and staff will get this thing "shined up" over these two weeks.

Now if we put 12 on the field again next week, the ball on the ground over and over and Werts gets taken down time and again when he ALMOST brakes it.... I'll be worried then. But I don't think that's going to happen. I think we'll be 2-2 come next Sunday.

9. Default Re: Old conference mates......

Quote Originally Posted by Walt3412 View Post
    You underestimate how bad GT is and how bad some of the teams in this league are. We will be in a bowl game.
    🤔