TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: This game should put to bed the notion...

Default Re: This game should put to bed the notion...

Quote Originally Posted by Eaglerado View Post
    The sky isn't falling guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Gsuwinsudont View Post
    Pointing out the obvious isn’t saying the sky is falling. That was a bad loss. Spinning it any other way is just burying your head in the sand.
    Man, Im not saying it didn't hurt. We could've won it, maybe should have.
    I'm not trying to spin the fact that we dropped a big opportunity here.

But there are people on here who act like we're headed for a Tyson Summers outcome and I'm just saying that I don't think that's the case. Some of us are about a breath away from screaming for CL's head.

Yes, some things need to get fixed. We got two weeks. We get Werts back. Then we get WK3 back and we aren't going to see a team better than Minnesota (personnel wise) the rest of the year.
    We played below what we are capable of. The effort was great.

Some are acting like the team is at those low points under TS. These guys will run through a wall for Lunsford.

I'm saying that outside LSU, we've seen losing these close games against a bigger conference team and came out fine on the season.
    Really, a lot of times.

But it hurts, getting so close hurts like hell. But I see us getting better and the return of the starters will make us better. There were plays Saturday that I just believe Werts would've broke free they were sooo close, and like on that last drive, where Werts maybe scrambles us into field goal range like in the Bowl game.

I just see light at the end of the tunnel right now, not doom and gloom that's all. Certainly pointing out areas we need improving is fair.
    But some of the comments made are just way over the top imop.
    Some folks panicking, for no reason. That's just my opinion though.

2. Default Re: This game should put to bed the notion...

[QUOTE=Eaglereporter;979231

Saturday we got the effort from the players. We have gotten the effort from the players multiple times dating back to the East Carolina games, but with one exception we have never done enough at all levels to put us over the hump. The coaches had a bad day yesterday, and have honestly had a bad year so far. It is time to fix these problems because there are at least two other teams in the Sunbelt that are better than Minnesota. We could still have a good year, we are close, but just as easily we could end up with 3 to 5 wins and wonder what happened to another year.

We need to get these mistakes fixed now, because at this point our mulligans are over, and a 3 to 5 win season would need to be met with some major changes.[/QUOTE]

You absolutely nailed it.

My anger is directed at the coaches. This was probably the most winnable P5 we will see for a while (the marginal P5s won’t schedule us because of all these close calls.)

I’m not saying I feel as bad as the TS era, but we really NEED to see that CL and staff get it. I have a bad feeling that these guys have started believing their own press too much. These guys need to have some serious critical analysis of their own performance.

Offensive play calling has fallen off a cliff (that may be helped by having werts and WK3 back to run stuff designed for them.)

But Defense coaching is having a LOT of issues. What was that last drive all about? We should have stopped them. They had three or four miracles to get down the field-all handed to them by an idiotic prevent defense. That is some seriously deficient decision making.

And too many players on the field TWICE!!! I want to know exactly what the hell os being done about that!

I am hoping this is just some kind of aberration. We normally get off to a slow start. I sure hope no one is “micromanaging” these decisions like ol Tyson did. I’m worried that something different is happening. Our defense was so much better all last year. I really think we could have stopped that drive easily playing like we did last season.

Quote Originally Posted by jcountry View Post

My anger is directed at the coaches. This was probably the most winnable P5 we will see for a while (the marginal P5s won’t schedule us because of all these close calls.)

I’m not saying I feel as bad as the TS era, but we really NEED to see that CL and staff get it. I have a bad feeling that these guys have started believing their own press too much. These guys need to have some serious critical analysis of their own performance.

Offensive play calling has fallen off a cliff (that may be helped by having werts and WK3 back to run stuff designed for them.)

But Defense coaching is having a LOT of issues. What was that last drive all about? We should have stopped them. They had three or four miracles to get down the field-all handed to them by an idiotic prevent defense. That is some seriously deficient decision making.

And too many players on the field TWICE!!! I want to know exactly what the hell os being done about that!

I am hoping this is just some kind of aberration. We normally get off to a slow start. I sure hope no one is “micromanaging” these decisions like ol Tyson did. I’m worried that something different is happening. Our defense was so much better all last year. I really think we could have stopped that drive easily playing like we did last season.
    Good Lord man.... might wanna consider lowering your caffeine intake. Seriously, do you actually think these coaches, whose livelihood basically comes down to wins/losses, don't evaluate themselves after every single game? I'd be willing to bet they go over their own play calls, etc before they start grading players. As for the prevent defense, yeah it inhales vigorously and you may consider it deficient decision making. But, take a look around a plethora of games in college and the pros and you'll see it EVERY SINGLE WEEK on more than one occasion. So, apparently our coaches aren't the only dumb-a$$es out there. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. We got burned by it this week. We had players in position to make plays a couple of times on that drive and it didn't happen.

I will say, out of that long rant, I agree with you on the too many players on the field happening twice.... that shouldn't happen again the rest of this season. Whoever is responsible for that needs CCL up his butt... and probably already has been.

But if you want to know exactly what is being done about that, I'd suggest either calling and asking to talk to CCL or calling into the radio show next week and asking him if you MUST know.

Scott Guy
    c/o '93 - BS in Computer Science
    Cumming, Ga
    Tailgating in B31

Quote Originally Posted by jcountry View Post

First of all, chill.

Second of all, Ole Miss next year is ABSOLUTELY winnable. We should have won that game in 2016 as well if we didn't have one of the worst HC hires in history. Arkansas is a winnable game. Even Wisconsin and Nebraska are. It's obvious you're not paying attention to our future schedules.

Third of all, the defense played a damn good game. Yes there were missed tackles that need to be addressed. 5 sacks and 11 TFLs is a performance we don't typically see. Yes the coverage decision on 3rd down was a bad one, but it doesn't mean the defensive staff are idiots. We had 2 miracle plays go in our favor to take the lead, so the sword cuts both ways if you want to go down that road.

Fourth, offensive playcalling has not fallen off a cliff. It's actually really good. I rewatched the first drive last night and counted at least one missed/poor block by the OL in each play. The TD on the play after the INT wasn't blocked necessarily well either, but Wright was able to squeeze through the line and break some tackles. We can't count on that happening all the time. Our OL performance is a function of the dysfunction induced into our roster from bad hiring decisions in Dec 2015 and propagating forward. OL problems are not something you fix in one year, or really even two. It's going to take time to fix the problems we have.

Lunsford gets it. Fortunately for us he's also able to measure his responses in public unlike some people out here.

Yes we're all upset. Yes there are problems. Yes there are mistakes being made that need to be corrected. However people also need to calm the hell down. Ranting and raving really accomplishes nothing but getting everyone spun up.

Quote Originally Posted by eaglewraith View Post
    First of all, chill.

Second of all, Ole Miss next year is ABSOLUTELY winnable. We should have won that game in 2016 as well if we didn't have one of the worst HC hires in history. Arkansas is a winnable game. Even Wisconsin and Nebraska are. It's obvious you're not paying attention to our future schedules.

Third of all, the defense played a damn good game. Yes there were missed tackles that need to be addressed. 5 sacks and 11 TFLs is a performance we don't typically see. Yes the coverage decision on 3rd down was a bad one, but it doesn't mean the defensive staff are idiots. We had 2 miracle plays go in our favor to take the lead, so the sword cuts both ways if you want to go down that road.

Fourth, offensive playcalling has not fallen off a cliff. It's actually really good. I rewatched the first drive last night and counted at least one missed/poor block by the OL in each play. The TD on the play after the INT wasn't blocked necessarily well either, but Wright was able to squeeze through the line and break some tackles. We can't count on that happening all the time. Our OL performance is a function of the dysfunction induced into our roster from bad hiring decisions in Dec 2015 and propagating forward. OL problems are not something you fix in one year, or really even two. It's going to take time to fix the problems we have.

Lunsford gets it. Fortunately for us he's also able to measure his responses in public unlike some people out here.

Yes we're all upset. Yes there are problems. Yes there are mistakes being made that need to be corrected. However people also need to calm the hell down. Ranting and raving really accomplishes nothing but getting everyone spun up.
    'wraith takin' us to CHURCH!! Thank you sir!

Scott Guy
    c/o '93 - BS in Computer Science
    Cumming, Ga
    Tailgating in B31

Quote Originally Posted by eaglewraith View Post
    First of all, chill.

About the only issue I have with play calling is a lack of any up tempo stuff. Several times against Minnesota, I felt like we could have gotten back to the line and run a play immediately and been able to take advantage of them... even if we simply ran the same play again. I understand we want to control the clock and limit the other team's offensive possessions... but you also have to take advantage when you can and quick snapping can help.
    Quote Originally Posted by StanMolsonMan View Post
    Because.... We're idiots.

Quote Originally Posted by Pike51 View Post
    About the only issue I have with play calling is a lack of any up tempo stuff. Several times against Minnesota, I felt like we could have gotten back to the line and run a play immediately and been able to take advantage of them... even if we simply ran the same play again. I understand we want to control the clock and limit the other team's offensive possessions... but you also have to take advantage when you can and quick snapping can help.

You are like 3 steps ahead. First we have to learn how to send in a play like it’s 2019 not 1987. Do I want to be like Minnesota and have everything looking like a Chinese fire drill before the snap? No. But DeBesse can’t even really start calling a game until the 2nd quarter because he has to spend the first quarter seeing how the other team is going to align against us.
    Quote Originally Posted by NO_QUARTER View Post
    I actually considered getting into a debate with Half one time (on something unimportant). But then chickened out because I knew my a$$ was about to get handed to me.

Let's not kid ourselves. Without two once in a season plays that game is a 3 TD loss.

The defense was absolutely gassed by the time they gave up 3rd and 29 (which was the deciding sequence in the loss), and with little wonder. GS ran 42 offensive plays the entire game. Minnesota ran 47 offensive plays in the second half. GS had just 5 yards rushing in the second half and -12 rushing in the 4th quarter. GS was outgained and out possessed by almost 2-1 margins.

Minnesota is likely a .500 or slightly less team in the Big 10, not some juggernaut. To fail to get 200 yards total offense against a team like that is an abject failure, regardless of the QB situation. As a matter of perspective, Northwestern State passed for over 200 yards against LSU Saturday night.

On a brighter note, the SunBelt doesn't look so good itself, so all is hardly lost, but that was a bad loss Saturday just like the LSU game was a bad loss (for failing to compete). My gut tells me that the team last year greatly benefitted from a historic turnover margin and some really good breaks, like App losing their QB on the 3rd play of the game, winning the Ark State game on a reverse in the final 30 seconds, and kicking a FG on the last play to win the bowl game. Perhaps there is some regression this year. Gotta remember where this program was 2 years ago and assess the talent level accordingly.

Regardless, that is over and time to FIDO.

9. Default Re: This game should put to bed the notion...

I don’t think we have a top 3 or 4 Sunbelt coaching staff - at least not yet. I hope they get there but 2018 is looking like an aberration and 2019 is looking like Lunsford’s 2 - 4 record in 2017. I know some of us were concerned when CL was hired before the Coastal game which we lost badly. He has work to do personally along with his staff to grow into this job. Also if our staff can’ t begin to recruit top 75 recruiting classes consistently in the richest area for athletes in the nation we have already reached our ceiling.

Quote Originally Posted by cybereagle View Post
    We also have to remember that we are on Coach #3 Since moving to FBS. Our recruiting was certainly impacted by this which creates depth issues. Our defense was gassed coming down the stretch and our d coordinator didn’t help us out with the calls on their last TD drive. Penalties, no offense in the 2nd half and turnovers cost us the game. I am sick to my stomach about the loss but
    we were in the game with a backup QB (who is a future star)
    . There is much work to do and all of our goals are in front of us - the belt and a bowl game. GATA
    This^^^

Tomlin looks significantly better than McKinnon, Ellison, or Shai after two games. It is no comparison! Saturday he executed well and made visible progress. He doesn't seem to have many of the physical gifts the other three had but he's doing it. Just goes to show you never know until game time. He needs more snaps. The kid is lagit..