TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: This game should put to bed the notion...

Default Re: This game should put to bed the notion...

Quote Originally Posted by Pike51 View Post
    Compete? Perhaps to an extent... but do not be fooled by that score and the fact that Minnesota and Fleck tried to give us that game. We were out manned overall. I have no idea why they didn't just line up and pound it down our throats early in the 4th to kill the clock... but they should have.

What that game confirmed to me is that we aren't quite there yet. We are closer but still have a long way to go. Minnesota isn't even one of the top 3 or 5 teams in the Big 10. Our kids played their ***** off and we had a chance to win but failed (once again) to finish the drill.
    I'm not sure what your point is. You think we didn't try give to them with even more effort than them? Minnesota's talent didn't cause two fumbles or the bad snap or two illegal participation penalties or sideline infraction.

And when you take out the negative yardage from our sacks they had 2.5 yards rushing. That's not running it down anyone's throat.
    "Follow the trendlines, not the headlines." -Steven Pinker (?)

Regarding football Scheduling.

Compete? Perhaps to an extent... but do not be fooled by that score and the fact that Minnesota and Fleck tried to give us that game. We were out manned overall. I have no idea why they didn't just line up and pound it down our throats early in the 4th to kill the clock... but they should have.

What that game confirmed to me is that we aren't quite there yet. We are closer but still have a long way to go. Minnesota isn't even one of the top 3 or 5 teams in the Big 10. Our kids played their ***** off and we had a chance to win but failed (once again) to finish the drill.
    Cause they can't run the ball worth a ****. That's why. They have really good WRs and the OL can keep the QB clean long enough for the type of passing game they have, except when we were bringing a lot of pressure.

We are struggling defending middle passes though. We really need help at safety or we need some kids to grow up fast.

All that said, call a better play on 3rd and 30 and 4th down and we win that game anyway. We got the breaks we needed even with the problems we had. We just couldn't make the play to win the game.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob View Post
    I'm not sure what your point is. You think we didn't try give to them with even more effort than them? Minnesota's talent didn't cause two fumbles or the bad snap or two illegal participation penalties or sideline infraction.

And when you take out the negative yardage from our sacks they had 2.5 yards rushing. That's not running it down anyone's throat.
    My point is we played our tails off. We made mistakes to be expected when playing "over your head". Our coaches and our team are not P5 level (yet). Just like Maine wasn't on our level.

Did you see their receive go up and get that ball over our head? Did you see the kid get his arm in and force the QB fumble?

How many people complained about playing LSU after we got killed? If we were on that level, nobody would complain. But instead, the talk was why not schedule "winnable P5" games?? Then after a close game with a middle of the road P5 team, all of a sudden we are able to play at that level again?

We have work to do. Games like this are a barometer to judge where we are against all of football. We aren't on that level yet. Good thing is, nobody else in our conference is either.

My point is we played our tails off. We made mistakes to be expected when playing "over your head". Our coaches and our team are not P5 level (yet). Just like Maine wasn't on our level.

Did you see their receive go up and get that ball over our head? Did you see the kid get his arm in and force the QB fumble?

How many people complained about playing LSU after we got killed? If we were on that level, nobody would complain. But instead, the talk was why not schedule "winnable P5" games?? Then after a close game with a middle of the road P5 team, all of a sudden we are able to play at that level again?

We have work to do. Games like this are a barometer to judge where we are against all of football. We aren't on that level yet. Good thing is, nobody else in our conference is either.
    So we made mistakes because we played soooo hard? Come on pike, you don't really believe that nonsense. Plenty of teams play hard and make limited or a normal number of mistakes. We were not out-classed in pretty much any sense. And it's not a one-off like I said. We look like we belong much more often than we don't as I pointed out in the OP.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob View Post
    So we made mistakes because we played soooo hard? Come on pike, you don't really believe that nonsense. Plenty of teams play hard and make limited or a normal number of mistakes. We were not out-classed in pretty much any sense. And it's not a one-off like I said. We look like we belong much more often than we don't as I pointed out in the OP.
    We belong? How many P5 games have we won?

I'll hang up amd wait.

Minnesota probably wouldn't even win the Sunbelt. Look at EMU(you know, that team we beat in the bowl last year?). They have beaten a Big10 team 3 years in a row. These mediocre P5 teams are no better athletically than we are. We just have to close the deal. It also helps them that they never have to play these games on the road.

We belong? How many P5 games have we won?

I'll hang up amd wait.
    I gotta say that the whole "How many P5" wins thing really gets under my skin.

That W/L stat doesn't show how competitive we have been in a ton of those. It doesn't reflect the differences in games like LSU,WV and games like the first time we played Auburn, FSU,GT,NC State,UGA,Ole Miss etc.
    It also fails to give the rankings of those P5 teams. How many times did we draw the National Champion? (UF, Alabama, Clemson etc). We could rarely get a non top 10 P5. And when we did/do it's usually a very good game.

Yeah, ok so we got blew out by LSU. They scored 45 on Texas. It inhale vigorouslys, but Fido. Those teams blow out their own conference opponents some times. Does it mean their conference mates don't belong? We got work to do, YES. WE aren't a top ten team right now, but we can get there and we should be winning a fair amount of these other P5 games.

We were in this game. They are pretty good compared to the Gophers of old. But we could've won. Yes our staff made some errors. Yes our players made some mistakes. Theirs did too.

Without being critical of anyone who played, I believe that had Werts and Kennedy played, we'd have won. I wonder how the Gophers would have faired without that starting QB and without that receiver who decommitted from us to play for them? Take those two away, and that's what we were playing with.

But even ham stringed by missing two of our biggest weapons, we almost won. So yes, we BELONG.
    We can COMPETE. And I for one think the season is going to turn out just fine. We just gotta get everybody back on the field, learn from our mistakes and play as hard as we did yesterday. Do that and we'll be bowling and maybe even win the conference.

We have some good talent, but to me it doesn't seem to have gelled yet into an effective offensive machine. 20 points came from great plays on D and ST. First qtr INT gives us a short field = TD and early lead. Blocked FG = TD. Fumble late in game = TD.

I don't know what's going on with the snap situation. It's been going on for 3 years now, but seems worse this year. Is it inexperience at QB or something else? I don't know. The penalties are the other issue. I don't have any stats to back this up, but anecdotally it seems that after 3 games we've gotten a lot more penalties than I can remember in recent years. Any stat ho's got some data to confirm or refute this?

Quote Originally Posted by SwampEagle View Post
    We have some good talent, but to me it doesn't seem to have gelled yet into an effective offensive machine. 20 points came from great plays on D and ST. First qtr INT gives us a short field = TD and early lead. Blocked FG = TD. Fumble late in game = TD.

I don't know what's going on with the snap situation. It's been going on for 3 years now, but seems worse this year. Is it inexperience at QB or something else? I don't know. The penalties are the other issue. I don't have any stats to back this up, but anecdotally it seems that after 3 games we've gotten a lot more penalties than I can remember in recent years. Any stat ho's got some data to confirm or refute this?
    It was obvious that the center was told to make sure he didn't snap the ball high. Now we gotta get it up just a little. They low snap threw the play timing off some yesterday. GOTTA get that fixed.

Quote Originally Posted by Eaglerado View Post
    I gotta say that the whole "How many P5" wins thing really gets under my skin.

That W/L stat doesn't show how competitive we have been in a ton of those. It doesn't reflect the differences in games like LSU,WV and games like the first time we played Auburn, FSU,GT,NC State,UGA,Ole Miss etc.
    It also fails to give the rankings of those P5 teams. How many times did we draw the National Champion? (UF, Alabama, Clemson etc). We could rarely get a non top 10 P5. And when we did/do it's usually a very good game.

Yeah, ok so we got blew out by LSU. They scored 45 on Texas. It inhale vigorouslys, but Fido. Those teams blow out their own conference opponents some times. Does it mean their conference mates don't belong? We got work to do, YES. WE aren't a top ten team right now, but we can get there and we should be winning a fair amount of these other P5 games.

We were in this game. They are pretty good compared to the Gophers of old. But we could've won. Yes our staff made some errors. Yes our players made some mistakes. Theirs did too.

Without being critical of anyone who played, I believe that had Werts and Kennedy played, we'd have won. I wonder how the Gophers would have faired without that starting QB and without that receiver who decommitted from us to play for them? Take those two away, and that's what we were playing with.

But even ham stringed by missing two of our biggest weapons, we almost won. So yes, we BELONG.
    We can COMPETE. And I for one think the season is going to turn out just fine. We just gotta get everybody back on the field, learn from our mistakes and play as hard as we did yesterday. Do that and we'll be bowling and maybe even win the conference.
    Yes. When you have 4 losses by one score, that's not competing, that's just bad luck, unless it's the plan of the opposing team's coaches plan all along to make us think we could compete until the very end.

If we had 4 close games and won them all people like Buzz would say we were lucky (and he'd be right).