TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on
     
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 91

Thread: This game should put to bed the notion...

  1. #31
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    JDC325's Head
    Posts
    28,563

    Default Re: This game should put to bed the notion...

    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob View Post
    Yes. When you have 4 losses by one score, that's not competing, that's just bad luck, unless it's the plan of the opposing team's coaches plan all along to make us think we could compete until the very end.

    If we had 4 close games and won them all people like Buzz would say we were lucky (and he'd be right).

    It honestly is pretty incredible that we have played 5 one score games against P5’s opponents in the past 6 years and we are 1-4. All 4 losses we have had the lead or been tied with under 2 minutes to play.
    Quote Originally Posted by NO_QUARTER View Post
    I actually considered getting into a debate with Half one time (on something unimportant). But then chickened out because I knew my a$$ was about to get handed to me.

  2. #32

    Default Re: This game should put to bed the notion...

    Quote Originally Posted by half-n-half View Post
    It honestly is pretty incredible that we have played 5 one score games against P5’s opponents in the past 6 years and we are 1-4. All 4 losses we have had the lead or been tied with under 2 minutes to play.
    And all four of those losses involve us choking like dogs.

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    JDC325's Head
    Posts
    28,563

    Default Re: This game should put to bed the notion...

    Quote Originally Posted by Pike51 View Post
    I have no idea why they didn't just line up and pound it down our throats early in the 4th to kill the clock... but they should have.

    Ummmm that’s what they were trying to do and couldn’t?

    On the blocked punt they ran it on 1st and 3rd down for a gain of 2 and loss of 1. On the scoop and score they ran it on 1st and 2nd down for a total of 5 yards which is why they had to pass on 3rd and 5.
    Quote Originally Posted by NO_QUARTER View Post
    I actually considered getting into a debate with Half one time (on something unimportant). But then chickened out because I knew my a$$ was about to get handed to me.

  4. #34

    Default Re: This game should put to bed the notion...

    This is a visual aide for the next step after talking about "being competitive":



  5. #35

    Default Re: This game should put to bed the notion...

    It’s not a moral victory if you should’ve won the game.

  6. #36
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    The 19th Hole
    Posts
    13,258

    Default Re: This game should put to bed the notion...

    Quote Originally Posted by Eaglerado View Post
    I gotta say that the whole "How many P5" wins thing really gets under my skin.

    That W/L stat doesn't show how competitive we have been in a ton of those. It doesn't reflect the differences in games like LSU,WV and games like the first time we played Auburn, FSU,GT,NC State,UGA,Ole Miss etc.
    It also fails to give the rankings of those P5 teams. How many times did we draw the National Champion? (UF, Alabama, Clemson etc). We could rarely get a non top 10 P5. And when we did/do it's usually a very good game.

    Yeah, ok so we got blew out by LSU. They scored 45 on Texas. It inhale vigorouslys, but Fido. Those teams blow out their own conference opponents some times. Does it mean their conference mates don't belong? We got work to do, YES. WE aren't a top ten team right now, but we can get there and we should be winning a fair amount of these other P5 games.

    We were in this game. They are pretty good compared to the Gophers of old. But we could've won. Yes our staff made some errors. Yes our players made some mistakes. Theirs did too.

    Without being critical of anyone who played, I believe that had Werts and Kennedy played, we'd have won. I wonder how the Gophers would have faired without that starting QB and without that receiver who decommitted from us to play for them? Take those two away, and that's what we were playing with.

    But even ham stringed by missing two of our biggest weapons, we almost won. So yes, we BELONG.
    We can COMPETE. And I for one think the season is going to turn out just fine. We just gotta get everybody back on the field, learn from our mistakes and play as hard as we did yesterday. Do that and we'll be bowling and maybe even win the conference.
    Good.... it should get under your skin. Guess what? We don't get crap for close. Competitive isn't a win. All that matters at the end of the day is wins.

    BVG lost 6 games by 1 score or less. Nobody talks about how "competitive" or "close" we were.

  7. #37

    Default Re: This game should put to bed the notion...

    Quote Originally Posted by Pike51 View Post
    Good.... it should get under your skin. Guess what? We don't get crap for close. Competitive isn't a win. All that matters at the end of the day is wins.

    BVG lost 6 games by 1 score or less. Nobody talks about how "competitive" or "close" we were.
    Pike, no one here wants to just compete. Everyone wants to win. But we are competing and that cannot be denied. That's the first step.
    "Follow the trendlines, not the headlines." -Steven Pinker (?)

    Regarding football Scheduling.

  8. Default Re: This game should put to bed the notion...

    Quote Originally Posted by birdseye View Post
    This game was a gift and we didn’t capitalize. Sorry no excuses - Citadel goes to Tech and wins.
    Furman gave Va. Tech all it wanted too. Kudos to the SoCon.

    I dunno what I think about our coaching staff. Not a fan of whatever kind of option we run, but still pull for the kids.

    I do know losses dont surprise or bother me as much as they did 20 years ago. I dont know if that's because I dont care as much or because I expect them to happen more.

  9. #39
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Decatur, where it's greater
    Posts
    915

    Default Re: This game should put to bed the notion...

    Quote Originally Posted by Eaglerado View Post
    Without being critical of anyone who played, I believe that had Werts and Kennedy played, we'd have won. I wonder how the Gophers would have faired without that starting QB and without that receiver who decommitted from us to play for them? Take those two away, and that's what we were playing with.

    But even ham stringed by missing two of our biggest weapons, we almost won.
    Actually their starting QB went down before the season started. Annexstad was on the sideline like Werts.

  10. Default Re: This game should put to bed the notion...

    Quote Originally Posted by Gsuwinsudont View Post
    It’s not a moral victory if you should’ve won the game.
    Maine wasn’t a moral victory either.

    That game was straight sloppy trash, and we almost let it get away from us.

    The moral victory would be if somehow these coaches could discern the trouble we are in And freaking do something about it!

    Seems like we must have spent most of the off season swimming in slogans and platitudes, and not enough time focusing on playing better.

    Like some have said “Good to Great” only works when you first actually get back to “Good.”

Similar Threads

  1. Testing the notion of "turnover luck"
    By BillyBob in forum The Flight Line
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 1st July 2019, 01:17 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •