TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 21 of 24 FirstFirst ... 1920212223 ... LastLast

Thread: Louisiana Score + Attendance Prediction Thread

Default Re: Louisiana Score + Attendance Prediction Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz Killington View Post
    You want to make sure you have a guy on the dive, the QB, and the pitch.
    Assignment football. That’s just what I was talking about, Buzz.
    Thanks, Rastabot!
    www.247sports.com/porkchops

What's the alternative to "assignment football"? Every defender just ad libbing it and doing whatever they feel is right at a particular time?

Or is it "11 angry men running to the ball"?
    "Follow the trendlines, not the headlines." -Steven Pinker (?)

Regarding football Scheduling.

3. Default Re: Louisiana Score + Attendance Prediction Thread

But really though, this is a tell-all match up for both schools which makes it exciting. Georgia Southern has been struggling through injuries on top of playing two currently undefeated P5's and a ranked FCS team. ULL is on a 3 game win streak against obviously lesser competition, their best win so far being against an Ohio team that will struggle to get bowl eligible this year. This match up will tell us if Georgia Southern is better than they've looked or if there really is cause for concern. On the other side, this game will tell us if Louisiana is a contender or a pretender.

Right now, ULL (they hate it when you call them that so get your fill) has the #4 ranked offense in the nation in terms of total offfense and #1 in rushing. The stats are a little skewed due to their game with Texas Southern. Take that game out and they fall to around 29th in rushing offense. This is a good match-up for our defense who is currently #19 in rushing defense with two undefeated P5's on the schedule. ULL is #65 even with their easier schedule so far.

In this game, they will try to hammer us with the run and a slew of really talented backs which is great news for us because stopping the run is what we do. We have terrible pass defense stats so far, but they don't pass the ball very well. Again, great news for us.

Now for the bad news, our offense. Terrible. We have 4...only 4...offensive touchdowns in 3 games. We are 44th in rushing offense and second to last in passing offense. WE ARE DEAD LAST IN THE NATION IN 3RD DOWN CONVERSION. That's awful. Those are stats that are going to keep us from being bowl eligible unless we change that starting now.

What this game ultimately comes down to is we have to win the time of possession battle. We do that by converting 3rd downs. We have to convert 3rd and even 4th downs, limit turnovers, and we have to punch it into the endzone.

If our offense gets going, we should be able to get yards on their defense and rise out of the 3rd down conversion cellar. My prediction: our defense holds them down and forces them to throw, Man Man gets 3 picks. Shai unleashes it all and goes completely berserk, 4 offensive touchdowns, 2 of them by Shai, 1 by Speedy, and 1 passing score by Darion Anderson. Tyler Bass gets 2 field goals.
    Final Score: GS 34, ULL 24

Quote Originally Posted by pete4256 View Post
    Assignment football. That’s just what I was talking about, Buzz.
    Indeed, pete, and don't forget that these triple option teams really like to chew up the clock. But pete, don't teams that depend on this type of offense have a hard time when they find themselves in 3rd-and-long type situations, or when they need to score points quickly, like playing from behind late in the game? That's what my notes say here . . .

At any rate, I'm sure Georgia State would prefer to avoid either of those scenarios this afternoon. We'll see how that works out for the Golden Eagles at Paulson Field beginning in just a few moments.
    Ever devoted to the twin causes of reason and justice . . . ever at risk of waxing verbose

to me, this is the biggest gut check out coaching staff has had yet going back to game 1 of last year. This game, being that last week was a BYE, will say a lot about the coaches and their ability to fix our mistakes and get us back on track.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob View Post
    What's the alternative to "assignment football"? Every defender just ad libbing it and doing whatever they feel is right at a particular time?

Or is it "11 angry men running to the ball"?
    Everybody always has an 'assignment' on defense against any offense - at least at the start of the play. But most times, once the play develops, everyone's assignment generally becomes "take a proper pursuit angle and tackle the guy with the ball".
    I think the emphasis on calling the defense of the TO 'assignment football' is based on coaching the defenders to stay with their initial assignment beyond the limits of football instinct -- even when it feels like that assignment is pulling them out of the play, and to trust the guys with the other assignments to make the play. If your assignment is the pitch man, it's counter intuitive to force yourself to run -- away in some cases, from the QB who's 6 feet away from you who actually has the ball. For a large part of the play, instead of "tackle the guy with the ball" it's "forget who has the ball and tackle your assignment". That's a hard adjustment to make. An analogue would be to require a cornerback to hold tight coverage 80+ yards downfield or to continue pass coverage once a QB has scrambled 10 yards downfield.

I know you know all this, but I think that's why they beat that terminology to death.
    Ever devoted to the twin causes of reason and justice . . . ever at risk of waxing verbose

Quote Originally Posted by GATAlac El Dorado View Post
    Everybody always has an 'assignment' on defense against any offense - at least at the start of the play. But most times, once the play develops, everyone's assignment generally becomes "take a proper pursuit angle and tackle the guy with the ball".
    I think the emphasis on calling the defense of the TO 'assignment football' is based on coaching the defenders to stay with their initial assignment beyond the limits of football instinct -- even when it feels like that assignment is pulling them out of the play, and to trust the guys with the other assignments to make the play. If your assignment is the pitch man, it's counter intuitive to force yourself to run -- away in some cases, from the QB who's 6 feet away from you who actually has the ball. For a large part of the play, instead of "tackle the guy with the ball" it's "forget who has the ball and tackle your assignment". That's a hard adjustment to make. An analogue would be to require a cornerback to hold tight coverage 80+ yards downfield or to continue pass coverage once a QB has scrambled 10 yards downfield.

I know you know all this, but I think that's why they beat that terminology to death.
    Right, but I don't know what about an option offense could cause a defender to go into "stop what you're doing and go after the guy with the ball" mode prematurely.
    "Follow the trendlines, not the headlines." -Steven Pinker (?)

Regarding football Scheduling.

**Looks directly at the camera like a deer in the headlights** "Certainly, you want to play your brand of football. You sit there and want to make them make mistakes, while playing mistake free ball. Certainly you want to be able to shut down the run and make them one dimensional in the throw game. Then you can be physical and have 11 men attacking the football. If we do that and score more points than them, we certainly have a chance to sit there and come out with a win at the end of the day."
    Anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice. Ammo is cheap. Life is expensive

Quote Originally Posted by GATAlac El Dorado View Post
    Indeed, pete, and don't forget that these triple option teams really like to chew up the clock. But pete, don't teams that depend on this type of offense have a hard time when they find themselves in 3rd-and-long type situations, or when they need to score points quickly, like playing from behind late in the game? That's what my notes say here . . .

At any rate, I'm sure Georgia State would prefer to avoid either of those scenarios this afternoon. We'll see how that works out for the Golden Eagles at Paulson Field beginning in just a few moments.
    You’re absolutely right, GATAlac. It’s not a come-from-behind offense.
    Thanks, Rastabot!
    www.247sports.com/porkchops

10. Default Re: Louisiana Score + Attendance Prediction Thread

Quote Originally Posted by pete4256 View Post
    You’re absolutely right, GATAlac. It’s not a come-from-behind offense.
    It can be.

if Werts and Kennedy play.