TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

View Poll Results: Predict our 2019 conference record.

Voters
66. You may not vote on this poll
  • 8-0

5 7.58%
  • 7-1

10 15.15%
  • 6-2

25 37.88%
  • 5-3

11 16.67%
  • 4-4

13 19.70%
  • 3-5

1 1.52%
  • 2-6

1 1.52%
  • 1-7

0 0%
  • 0-8

0 0%
Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Predict our 2019 Conference Record

Default Re: Predict our 2019 Conference Record

Quote Originally Posted by pete4256 View Post
    Why wasn’t the first possession ever a problem under our previous option coaches?

I’m not saying that I know what’s wrong or that I have any answers, but some self-assessment is clearly in order.

Since we’re in the business of limiting possessions, we can’t continue giving our opponents an extra possession week-in and week-out.
    Pretty much every offense I know of out there has a script they follow to start the game.

I don't see that changing.

What does need to change is the OL needs to stop falling down/getting off balance/getting pushed around/straight up missing blocks (and that goes for the cruiser as well) and we need to stop committing presnap penalties. Playcalling will not fix any of these issues. We could call the absolute correct play every time and it wouldn't matter with the consistency issues we have right now.

Quote Originally Posted by eaglewraith View Post
    Option offenses are series driven correct? The first drive is scripted (and really it's probably more like our first ~10 plays are scripted) to see what the defense will do. That then guides what each following series will do.
    Yes, most option offenses—including ours—are series-based. It’s got nothing to do with your last sentence, though. A “series” is a group of plays that look similar but develop differently. There’s usually a base play and a handful of complementary plays. For instance, the Wing T (the greatest “series-based offense” ever invented) has a “Buck Sweep” series that includes the eponymous play along with a handful of plays that begin by mimicking the “Buck Sweep” action. These would include a QB counter sweep to the backside, a play-action pass, etc.

I assume everyone’s right when they say we script our first ______ plays. I can see the reasons for doing so (probably to see different defenders’ assignments, especially LB technique and S responsibilities, on option plays), but there has to be a way to learn those things without automatically going three and out.
    Thanks, Rastabot!
    www.247sports.com/porkchops

I assume everyone’s right when they say we script our first ______ plays. I can see the reasons for doing so (probably to see different defenders’ assignments, especially LB technique and S responsibilities, on option plays), but there has to be a way to learn those things without automatically going three and out.
    Yea there's a way to not go 3 and out.

What does need to change is the OL needs to stop falling down/getting off balance/getting pushed around/straight up missing blocks (and that goes for the cruiser as well) and we need to stop committing presnap penalties. Playcalling will not fix any of these issues. We could call the absolute correct play every time and it wouldn't matter with the consistency issues we have right now.

Why wasn’t the first possession ever a problem under our previous option coaches?

I’m not saying that I know what’s wrong or that I have any answers, but some self-assessment is clearly in order.

Since we’re in the business of limiting possessions, we can’t continue giving our opponents an extra possession week-in and week-out.
    i think I suggested our offense is not dynamic. Could there be a lack of talent

Pretty much every offense I know of out there has a script they follow to start the game.

I don't see that changing.

I would buy this except for we’re not as awful after the first possession. Other offenses—no matter how poorly they execute—don’t have these abysmal results on the first possession.

That tells me that either (1) we really stink at balancing our “script” with our need to generate yards and points; or (2) we compound the problem by shortening the game into as few possessions as we can.

I mean, if you’re going to play fast, throw the ball, feature a two-minute offense, and as a result get 11-12 chances to score in most games, it won’t matter as much if you open by going three-and-out.
    Thanks, Rastabot!

Quote Originally Posted by garns 4 View Post
    Scheme is plenty dynamic.

Got to be more consistent up front though.

Quote Originally Posted by garns 4 View Post

Yes. But from a coaching standpoint, this is the only thing that has really worried me about DeBesse’s offense. I like the scheme pretty well when we execute and have speed.

But is every other offense in college football comparatively bad on its first possession compared to its subsequent possessions? Why is the disconnect so glaring for GS?

“Talent” and “poor execution” don’t really explain the difference between our first drive and our other drives . . . unless we’re less talented or execute worse on that first drive compared to the rest of the game.
    Thanks, Rastabot!

Debesse is an awful OC. That’s it. It’s not supernatural.
    Too many Urkels on your team that's why your wins low

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimojoe View Post
    Debesse is an awful OC. That’s it. It’s not supernatural.
    Why?

10. Default Re: Predict our 2019 Conference Record

Why?
    I’d say he’s “average.”

His playcalling is way more conservative than I expected.

Way too conservative to take advantage of our players.

Most of our explosive stuff seems to come from busted plays we manage to turn into something. That’s not a good thing.

The main thing I find objectionable is the fact that he’s talked so much and so long about “opening up the playbook.” When the hell will we ever see anything cool? Anything halfway complex or creative?

Coming up on a season and a half, and this playbook looks very thin.