TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on
     

View Poll Results: Predict our 2019 conference record.

Voters
66. You may not vote on this poll
  • 8-0

    5 7.58%
  • 7-1

    10 15.15%
  • 6-2

    25 37.88%
  • 5-3

    11 16.67%
  • 4-4

    13 19.70%
  • 3-5

    1 1.52%
  • 2-6

    1 1.52%
  • 1-7

    0 0%
  • 0-8

    0 0%
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 121

Thread: Predict our 2019 Conference Record

  1. Default Re: Predict our 2019 Conference Record

    Quote Originally Posted by studenteagle View Post
    I think the Fritz/Reuse offense worked better and looked better because offensive line play was so much better. It didn't look too great against App or Ga State in 2015 when we got know push up front. The line has struggled early but looked better in the first half on Saturday. I think as that improves, our offense will look more dynamic. We shouldn't forget the amount of turnover on the offensive line this year.
    I noticed the line looked better too......

    But a lot of the stuff Fritz ran didn't depend on the line so much. He did a lot of sweeps and tosses which involved misdirection. I loved that stuff! Even got a double reverse to work a few times.

    I definitely think we have that capability with Kennedy back. I'm just wondering why we saw none of it last season, and still haven't seen any attempt so far. Misdirection is so nasty with our kind of football. I love it!

    I probably wouldn't be as frustrated if I hadn't sat in the stands during some of the Stowers years. That garbage scarred my soul. And I swear to GOD we waste every single first series looking just like that. I want to cry when I see us go 3 & out every first series.. I feel like I got back in a time machine.

    Some people don't think we have the athletes to pull this stuff off. I disagree. I think Werts is already as good or better than Ellison on the ground. Kennedy is probably the best slot we have ever had, and has near-Breida speed. Do some complex stuff.... Anything. Quit wasting down on the dive. We have to do that about 2/3 of our total plays.

  2. #12

    Default Re: Predict our 2019 Conference Record

    Quote Originally Posted by jcountry View Post
    I noticed the line looked better too......

    But a lot of the stuff Fritz ran didn't depend on the line so much. He did a lot of sweeps and tosses which involved misdirection. I loved that stuff! Even got a double reverse to work a few times.

    I definitely think we have that capability with Kennedy back. I'm just wondering why we saw none of it last season, and still haven't seen any attempt so far. Misdirection is so nasty with our kind of football. I love it!

    I probably wouldn't be as frustrated if I hadn't sat in the stands during some of the Stowers years. That garbage scarred my soul. And I swear to GOD we waste every single first series looking just like that. I want to cry when I see us go 3 & out every time. I feel like I got back in a time machine.
    There is no such thing. Even on a play that goes outside there are lineman clearing the edge. That also doesn't work if you can't run up the middle effectively. If extra men aren't needed to stop the dive because the offensive line isn't blowing your defensive lineman off the ball, there will be more men lurking off the edge. Also, I didn't realize you were such a big fan of Fritz.

  3. #13

    Default Re: Predict our 2019 Conference Record

    I didn’t realize Fritz was calling offensive plays in his time here.

  4. Default Re: Predict our 2019 Conference Record

    Quote Originally Posted by studenteagle View Post
    There is no such thing. Even on a play that goes outside there are lineman clearing the edge. That also doesn't work if you can't run up the middle effectively. If extra men aren't needed to stop the dive because the offensive line isn't blowing your defensive lineman off the ball, there will be more men lurking off the edge. Also, I didn't realize you were such a big fan of Fritz.
    Well, whatever our interpretation of O line mechanics, it sure ain't working great so far.

    The fact that Maine stopped us so effectively is worrisome. We should handle the hell out of a team like that. Maine was no Sav State, but they weren't any kind of team which should have been able to stop our offense so effectively.

    Fritz definitely was effective. I don't think he is world-class, or will ever be as good as PJ, but he was competent. Some people think he was the best coach we've ever had. I don't. I don't think he was as good as PJ or Monken. The way I view him is he was a bit of a scam artist. He never planned to be here and treated us like a doormat. The fact that he never referred to the team as "we" or "our" but always in the 3rd person told us all we needed to know about his character.

    My gripe with Fritz is he left us the way he did. He even tried to snag some of our best players and recruits. That was just low-rent stuff.

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Warner Robins, GA
    Posts
    26,775

    Default Re: Predict our 2019 Conference Record

    Quote Originally Posted by jcountry View Post
    I noticed the line looked better too......

    But a lot of the stuff Fritz ran didn't depend on the line so much. He did a lot of sweeps and tosses which involved misdirection. I loved that stuff! Even got a double reverse to work a few times.

    I definitely think we have that capability with Kennedy back. I'm just wondering why we saw none of it last season, and still haven't seen any attempt so far. Misdirection is so nasty with our kind of football. I love it!

    I probably wouldn't be as frustrated if I hadn't sat in the stands during some of the Stowers years. That garbage scarred my soul. And I swear to GOD we waste every single first series looking just like that. I want to cry when I see us go 3 & out every first series.. I feel like I got back in a time machine.

    Some people don't think we have the athletes to pull this stuff off. I disagree. I think Werts is already as good or better than Ellison on the ground. Kennedy is probably the best slot we have ever had, and has near-Breida speed. Do some complex stuff.... Anything. Quit wasting down on the dive. We have to do that about 2/3 of our total plays.
    The reason Fritz was so successful was because of how good our OL was. It also wasn't as dramatic of a change since we had been running zone blocking schemes under Monken as well, more so in 2013.

    When did we run a double reverse under Fritz?

    What are you talking about when you refer to sweeps and tosses? We ran a lot of speed option but I don't really remember a lot of jet sweep and we definitely didn't run rocket.

    The production of our offense is beyond Stowers by far. That was some bad, bad football.

    So what happened on our first drive Sat? What would you change? What do you think the first play was that got blown dead on the false start?
    Last edited by eaglewraith; 17th September 2019 at 07:58 PM.


  6. Default Re: Predict our 2019 Conference Record

    Quote Originally Posted by jcountry View Post
    Well, whatever our interpretation of O line mechanics, it sure ain't working great so far.

    The fact that Maine stopped us so effectively is worrisome. We should handle the hell out of a team like that. Maine was no Sav State, but they weren't any kind of team which should have been able to stop our offense so effectively.

    Fritz definitely was effective. I don't think he is world-class, or will ever be as good as PJ, but he was competent. Some people think he was the best coach we've ever had. I don't. I don't think he was as good as PJ or Monken. The way I view him is he was a bit of a scam artist. He never planned to be here and treated us like a doormat. The fact that he never referred to the team as "we" or "our" but always in the 3rd person told us all we needed to know about his character.

    My gripe with Fritz is he left us the way he did. He even tried to snag some of our best players and recruits. That was just low-rent stuff.
    We ran for 7.60 yards per carry against Maine. That's 90th percentile in our 475 game history. If you take out the 3 terrible snaps, which I think we can all agree are not normal rushes, we averaged 9.06 yards per carry -- that's 97th percentile.

    Did we kill our scoring drives with dumb penalties and fumbles? Sure. But Maine never stopped us.

  7. #17

    Default Re: Predict our 2019 Conference Record

    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob View Post
    @Troy - Maybe the most worrisome offense for us of the entire conference. Kaleb Barker threw it all over a USM D that's supposed to be good. At least they look to have fallen off on defense some..
    Just saw on CSN Troy's #1 running back BJ Smith is out for the year. Really hate that for him, but that will make them easier to defend.
    "Follow the trendlines, not the headlines." -Steven Pinker (?)

    Regarding football Scheduling.

  8. Default Re: Predict our 2019 Conference Record

    Quote Originally Posted by Klak View Post
    We ran for 7.60 yards per carry against Maine. That's 90th percentile in our 475 game history. If you take out the 3 terrible snaps, which I think we can all agree are not normal rushes, we averaged 9.06 yards per carry -- that's 97th percentile.

    Did we kill our scoring drives with dumb penalties and fumbles? Sure. But Maine never stopped us.
    How many times were we inside the 15 only to get a FG?

    And of those times, how many times did we run the EXACT same play?

    A LOT of penalties happened, but GOOD LORD we were so one-dimensional. Maine stacked the hell out of us and we somehow still didn't take advantage of the whole side they left wide open. On every single red zone series I saw.

    Our offense has some real issues. This ultra-conservative play calling is killing us.

    Debeese ran some more complex stuff at his previous stop... Why is he being so much of a Stowers here? (Don't pretend that last season wasn't just as one-dimensional. It wasn't so obvious because Werts could make stuff happen when things fell apart.).

    People want to know what needs to be fixed. Offensive playcalling and silly penalties. Then we would have something. We roll through conference play without some serious improvement in those areas, we might now win even 4.

  9. Default Re: Predict our 2019 Conference Record

    The 2019 record will be 4 and 5 in conference play with an overall record of 5 and 7 maybe 4 and 8. The 2018 season was a one-off event. This will not get better until we have a coaching staff with real head coaching experience and coordinators with proven records at a higher level than New Mexico. Our recruiting is absolutely sub-par. We may be entering another dark period of Ga Southern football. Our 2020 recruiting class will probably rank in the bottom 5 of the Sunbelt. For those who think stars don’t matter see LSU. Nostradamus could see this coming 700 years ago.

  10. #20

    Default Re: Predict our 2019 Conference Record

    Quote Originally Posted by Klak View Post
    We ran for 7.60 yards per carry against Maine. That's 90th percentile in our 475 game history. If you take out the 3 terrible snaps, which I think we can all agree are not normal rushes, we averaged 9.06 yards per carry -- that's 97th percentile.

    Did we kill our scoring drives with dumb penalties and fumbles? Sure. But Maine never stopped us.
    No fan base in the country has the resource we have with gatadb.com, Klak. I find myself wasting time over there all the time. Thanks for all that, Klak.

Similar Threads

  1. Predict our 2018 baseball record
    By BillyBob in forum The Flight Line
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 17th January 2018, 09:46 AM
  2. Predict the W/L record for baseball in 2010
    By BillyBob in forum The Flight Line
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 22nd December 2009, 05:29 PM
  3. Predict the 2009 Season Record
    By Joseph in forum The Flight Line
    Replies: 61
    Last Post: 23rd November 2009, 08:33 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •