TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Eagle Fans at Gameday in Athens

1. Default Re: Eagle Fans at Gameday in Athens

Quote Originally Posted by TheEagleWay View Post
    I attended the Minnesota game and sat in the upper deck.. what were you seeing? Seemed pretty normal for football fans.
    I didn't see any problems at Minnesota. I was in the upper deck, also (203). We interacted with MU fans throughout the game. Their fans loved it when Steve and Freedom came up.

2. Default Re: Eagle Fans at Gameday in Athens

Quote Originally Posted by GATAlac El Dorado View Post
    Must one be neutral if attending any game in which GS is not competing, or just in Athens?

I ask because I used to go to a few Virginia Tech games with my best friend who is a big fan and season ticket holder. When I did, I wore VT colors. Is that disgusting?
    No, not IMO, I said neutral or home team colors. Iíve been know to attend many non GS games with friends and family and Iíll gladly pick up a home team shirt or cap and join in on the atmosphere. I mean, I donít want to be that guy wearing a Alabama jersey to a Texas/Oklahoma game (for example).

However, an ESPN College Gameday taping is a whole other story. IMO that is supposed to be an eclectic melting pot of college fans from all over and you should be supporting your school. Hell, the last one I went to I saw the StAte Redwolf mascot. We need to show out at these when possible, we canít just wait around for them to go to Statesboro.

Default Re: Eagle Fans at Gameday in Athens

Quote Originally Posted by 82eagle View Post
    I didn't see any problems at Minnesota. I was in the upper deck, also (203). We interacted with MU fans throughout the game. Their fans loved it when Steve and Freedom came up.
    They were fascinated with how we cheered. I kicked off a "Hail Southern" after our score prior to halftime, that whole deck looked right us.

Quote Originally Posted by half-n-half View Post
    I did the Gameday thing in 2008 when Bama came to Athens for a 8:00 kickoff. Left Atlanta at like 6:30 that morning and got back home at like 1 am. That was a LONG day.

As for having problems there are idiots everywhere so anything is possible. But it’s in the morning so the alcohol won’t be flowing yet and the UGA is playin the #7 team in the country that night. I really doubt there are going to be too many UGA fans concerned with Ga Southern on Saturday.

I got lucky as hell and was able to get a ticket for $100. I honestly don’t like going to UGA games anymore. I’ve been to 2 in the past 10 years. Would rather just not fight the crowds and traffic and just watch it on TV. But no way I could turn down the opportunity to see this game at that price. It’s a cool “bucket list” moment as much as anything.
    You raised a good point in there, also. One thing about us playing UGA is that the tickets are cheaper, and a different clientele winds up coming because it's more affordable. I genuinely believe that the loser that we dealt with was at his only UGA game of the year.
    People never grow up. They just learn how to act in public.

The artist formerly known as gsu_paintballer.

5. Default Re: Eagle Fans at Gameday in Athens

Quote Originally Posted by The_Eagles_Cliff View Post
    When I was younger in the 70's and early 80's I was an avid fan of the Dawgs! As I got older I learned more about the good-ole-boy system of the Board of Regents, State Assembly, and every city and town in the state and how UGA is fed a disproportionate amount of funding to the detriment of other schools in the system. Georgia Southern's economic impact in it's region is not appreciated by those receiving the benefits. Even in Statesboro, there are business owners who owe their success to the presence of GS, but load up the $100k RV and travel to every UGA game without contributing a cent to GS. I don't really care about UGA football or any of the other NFL Farm schools. They're an anomaly compared to the 250+ teams playing DI college football. I care about Southern Georgia having a USG designated research university and South Georgia residents having every degree program offered in the region as North Georgia residents.
    I think we were separated at birth.... SPOT ON!

6. Default Re: Eagle Fans at Gameday in Athens

Quote Originally Posted by Dave. View Post
    You raised a good point in there, also. One thing about us playing UGA is that the tickets are cheaper, and a different clientele winds up coming because it's more affordable. I genuinely believe that the loser that we dealt with was at his only UGA game of the year.
    I sat 2nd row 50 yard line for that game. Everyone around us was very nice, and I got a ton of handshakes afterwards with people telling us we had an awesome team. It wasn't till we got outside where students and Walmart fans were barking at us, cussing at us, and got a few drinks thrown at us.

Quote Originally Posted by EAGLEMAN View Post
    No, not IMO, I said neutral or home team colors. I’ve been know to attend many non GS games with friends and family and I’ll gladly pick up a home team shirt or cap and join in on the atmosphere. I mean, I don’t want to be that guy wearing a Alabama jersey to a Texas/Oklahoma game (for example).

However, an ESPN College Gameday taping is a whole other story. IMO that is suppose to be an eclectic melting pot of college fans from all over and you should be supporting your school. Hell, the last one I went to I saw the StAte Redwolf mascot. We need to show out at these when possible, we can’t just wait around for them to go to Statesboro.
    I thought Cliff said he was going to the GAME. Yeah, if you’re going to try to get on camera for Gameday, y’oughta be representing your #1 team.
    Ever devoted to the twin causes of reason and justice . . . ever at risk of waxing verbose

Quote Originally Posted by Dave. View Post
    That's easy for you to say since you weren't verbally and physically assaulted at the last game when we played them. My wife and I made it less than a quarter before we packed up and headed home.

Good thing that POS didn't care about GS, or things really would have escalated.
    And I'm sure you did absolutely nothing to provoke or entice them to continue the behavior.

We sat directly next to their students. Zero issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Pike51 View Post
    And I'm sure you did absolutely nothing to provoke or entice them to continue the behavior.

We sat directly next to their students. Zero issues.

He may or may not have. It’s all luck of the draw. Back in 2007 I had 2 season tickets for UGA and I traded my South Carolina tickets to a buddy for his Auburn tickets. All season long the couple beside me was as nice as they could be and I didn’t even come close to encountering any problems all season so for the Auburn game I gave my dad and stepmom my 2 tickets because I knew who would be around them. And I took my buddy’s 2 tickets. Well of course that would be the game the couple beside me sold their tickets and the 2 people beside my dad and stepmom were hammered and the girl was spilling her drink all around them and the guy spilled his dip cup and almost got on them.

And those season tickets were on the isle and the student section was the next one over so I was basically within arms reach of the student section. It was definitely a game by game and row by row situation with the students.
    Quote Originally Posted by NO_QUARTER View Post
    I actually considered getting into a debate with Half one time (on something unimportant). But then chickened out because I knew my a$$ was about to get handed to me.

10. Default Re: Eagle Fans at Gameday in Athens

Quote Originally Posted by TheEagleWay View Post
    They were fascinated with how we cheered. I kicked off a "Hail Southern" after our score prior to halftime, that whole deck looked right us.
    Yeah, they are definitely not as passionate about college football up there.