Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Bob DeBesse opens up on ‘disjointed’ Georgia Southern offense

1. Default Re: Bob DeBesse opens up on ‘disjointed’ Georgia Southern offense

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz Killington View Post
    We just calling inside zone "dive" now?
    Oh boy.

Here we go.

Pretty soon this is gonna just degrade into some silly *** dissertation.

We all know exactly what will happen. It's exactly what happens every single first possession. Ever.

Just once, I would like to see Debeese burn one deep on the very first down of the first possession. It would work like a damned charm.....

But no. We gotta win the time of possession battle-even if we lose the damned scoreboard battle. Just be sure to eat clock. No matter what.

(Can none of our coaches see how they stack us on the first series? Seriously? They don't even bother covering anyone because why the hell should they?)

2. Default Re: Bob DeBesse opens up on ‘disjointed’ Georgia Southern offense

Quote Originally Posted by GSCBBA1987 View Post
    I can agree with every excuse he gave and still scratch my head at how BLAND we have been. Seems like with all these thing he pointed out, we would be a little more creative.
    Yep.

Like I have been saying ever since the Eagle Walk before Maine: This team's problems are not just with injuries. Something is up. Something very bad.

Maybe we can throw the skunk out the boat Saturday. We sure need to.

Default Re: Bob DeBesse opens up on ‘disjointed’ Georgia Southern offense

I posted this after the ULL game but I will post again. Debesse tried to do some different things against ULL on the opening drive.

First drive Saturday vs ULL -

Play 1 - dive to Wright gains 6
    Play 2 - triple option pitch to laroche
    Play 3 - (motion) dive to Logan Wright (first down!)
    Play 4 - (motion) end around to Malik Murray
    Play 5 - QB draw (4 wide WR set - pair of receivers stacked on each side)
    Play 6 - 5 wide (!!!) set, LB blitzes untouched resulting in Shai scramble. Horse collar, first down
    Play 7 - dive to King
    Play 8 - speed option to laroche
    Play 9 - (motion) triple option, pitch to Hood
    Play 10- FLEX load option tackled for loss
    Play 11 - triple option werts keeps for big gain
    Play 12 - dive to laroche (looks like he hit wrong hole)
    Play 13 - dive to laroche
    Play 14 - PA pass to D1 incomplete
    Play 15 - FG

So 5/14 plays on first drive were dives. A couple of them may have been triple option reads but hard to tell. Varied alignments and formations, along with some motion mixed in. I'm not charting the rest of the game but at least we can see they're trying some things.

4. Default Re: Bob DeBesse opens up on ‘disjointed’ Georgia Southern offense

Quote Originally Posted by jcountry View Post
    Yep.

Like I have been saying ever since the Eagle Walk before Maine: This team's problems are not just with injuries. Something is up. Something very bad.

Maybe we can throw the skunk out the boat Saturday. We sure need to.
    Here we go again with this conspiracy. Did you listen to the coaches show? Listen to what RJ3 says during the interview. This is a personnel issue. We ran the same offense last year. As you have said, you're not very good with x's and o's part of it. WK3 is a huge part of this offense whether he has the ball or not. I'm thinking we will see a lot of 3 wide sets with WK3 coming in motion and lead option plays. Plus about 15 pass attempts.

5. Default Re: Bob DeBesse opens up on ‘disjointed’ Georgia Southern offense

Quote Originally Posted by Eagle02120624 View Post
    Here we go again with this conspiracy. Did you listen to the coaches show? Listen to what RJ3 says during the interview. This is a personnel issue. We ran the same offense last year. As you have said, you're not very good with x's and o's part of it. WK3 is a huge part of this offense whether he has the ball or not. I'm thinking we will see a lot of 3 wide sets with WK3 coming in motion and lead option plays. Plus about 15 pass attempts.
    I hope you are right.

I really hope.

(And no. My theory has nothing to do with conspiracy. I'm not sure what's causing it, but this team is playing without much spirit. Has been all season.)

That's not to say that some individual players don't get fired up, but something is definitely awry.

People blame all our problems on the O line..... But what on earth happened to our defense? They are a shadow of what we saw last season. Even our outstanding corners have been getting burned by the likes of USA. (That should not be possible.)

6. Default Re: Bob DeBesse opens up on ‘disjointed’ Georgia Southern offense

I hope you are right.

I really hope.

(And no. My theory has nothing to do with conspiracy. I'm not sure what's causing it, but this team is playing without much spirit. Has been all season.)

That's not to say that some individual players don't get fired up, but something is definitely awry.

People blame all our problems on the O line..... But what on earth happened to our defense? They are a shadow of what we saw last season. Even our outstanding corners have been getting burned by the likes of USA. (That should not be possible.)
    Our run defense is playing better giving up almost .5 yard less per rush. Our safety's are young. I would have to go back and watch but I think it's rare for us ever to run man coverage. Our Safety's generally are the guys that have been beat over the top.

Both CCL and Debesse said the same things. When Tomlin got thrown in, we went back to the basics. I seen a lot of good things in the USA game that leads me to think we are fixing to see this offense click.

7. Default Re: Bob DeBesse opens up on ‘disjointed’ Georgia Southern offense

Quote Originally Posted by Eagle02120624 View Post
    Our run defense is playing better giving up almost .5 yard less per rush. Our safety's are young. I would have to go back and watch but I think it's rare for us ever to run man coverage. Our Safety's generally are the guys that have been beat over the top.

Both CCL and Debesse said the same things. When Tomlin got thrown in, we went back to the basics. I seen a lot of good things in the USA game that leads me to think we are fixing to see this offense click.
    I've seen our corners beat several times.

And it's not because they are slow.

It looks more like confusion. Looks like guys are simply not understanding who's covering whom. (or what area.)

We have been candyland for opposing QBs. Many of them were not good enough to fully captalize, but several times I have seen multiple players wide open throughout our secondary. (Sometimes, we got lucky because of poorly targeted or dropped passed, but that doesn't change the fact that guys were absolutely wide open.)

I know defense is doing much better than offense. But last season, our team had a turnover record for a reason. Our guys were absolutely lights out-almost every single game. Defense was incredibly good.

I'm not saying defense is awful now, but it is definitely way behind last season. I don't think the inexperience at safety covers it. We been getting burned short, mid and deep by crap teams like USA. (and ULL was no great shakes either. We just made them look awesome.)

Quote Originally Posted by EAGLEMAN View Post
    So, why can’t we execute a “feeling-out process” without running a Dive when everyone in the stadium knows its coming?
    You have to establish the inside-zone in our offense to open up everything else. It's not about predictability, it's about scheme.

9. Default Re: Bob DeBesse opens up on ‘disjointed’ Georgia Southern offense

I've seen our corners beat several times.

And it's not because they are slow.

It looks more like confusion. Looks like guys are simply not understanding who's covering whom. (or what area.)

We have been candyland for opposing QBs. Many of them were not good enough to fully captalize, but several times I have seen multiple players wide open throughout our secondary. (Sometimes, we got lucky because of poorly targeted or dropped passed, but that doesn't change the fact that guys were absolutely wide open.)

I know defense is doing much better than offense. But last season, our team had a turnover record for a reason. Our guys were absolutely lights out-almost every single game. Defense was incredibly good.

I'm not saying defense is awful now, but it is definitely way behind last season. I don't think the inexperience at safety covers it. We been getting burned short, mid and deep by crap teams like USA. (and ULL was no great shakes either. We just made them look awesome.)
    I get what you see with you eyes but if we are in zone, they pass them off to the next guy. We statistically better on third down this year. 12 turnovers at this point last season compared to 7 turnovers this season. The defense is playing pretty dang well. The three teams we lost to are all ranked in the top 31 in scoring offense.

I hope you are right.

I really hope.

The corners didn't get burned against USA...out safeties were out of position. We play a ton of quarters coverage.

I wouldn't try to oversimplify things you think you're seeing on defense.

And you noted our RECORD BREAKING turnover margin last year...yeah... come on. Bruh...I hate to point out the obvious again...but that was a fluke and it is not sustainable.

Regardless of whether you want to believe it .. defenses do not CREATE turnovers. We got a lot of lucky breaks and took advantage of them. At the same time our offense had a freakish year with regards to not turning the ball over.

If you're worried because we aren't recreating a season like that then you set yourself up for failure with unrealistic expectations.

Our defense is just as mediocre as the were last year.
    Last edited by Buzz Killington; 17th October 2019 at 04:48 AM.