TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Bob DeBesse opens up on ‘disjointed’ Georgia Southern offense

1. Default Re: Bob DeBesse opens up on ‘disjointed’ Georgia Southern offense

Quote Originally Posted by jcountry View Post
    I hope you are right.

I really hope.

(And no. My theory has nothing to do with conspiracy. I'm not sure what's causing it, but this team is playing without much spirit. Has been all season.)

That's not to say that some individual players don't get fired up, but something is definitely awry.

People blame all our problems on the O line..... But what on earth happened to our defense? They are a shadow of what we saw last season. Even our outstanding corners have been getting burned by the likes of USA. (That should not be possible.)
    Our run defense is playing better giving up almost .5 yard less per rush. Our safety's are young. I would have to go back and watch but I think it's rare for us ever to run man coverage. Our Safety's generally are the guys that have been beat over the top.

Both CCL and Debesse said the same things. When Tomlin got thrown in, we went back to the basics. I seen a lot of good things in the USA game that leads me to think we are fixing to see this offense click.

Default Re: Bob DeBesse opens up on ‘disjointed’ Georgia Southern offense

Quote Originally Posted by EAGLEMAN View Post
    So, why can’t we execute a “feeling-out process” without running a Dive when everyone in the stadium knows its coming?
    You have to establish the inside-zone in our offense to open up everything else. It's not about predictability, it's about scheme.

3. Default Re: Bob DeBesse opens up on ‘disjointed’ Georgia Southern offense

I've seen our corners beat several times.

And it's not because they are slow.

It looks more like confusion. Looks like guys are simply not understanding who's covering whom. (or what area.)

We have been candyland for opposing QBs. Many of them were not good enough to fully captalize, but several times I have seen multiple players wide open throughout our secondary. (Sometimes, we got lucky because of poorly targeted or dropped passed, but that doesn't change the fact that guys were absolutely wide open.)

I know defense is doing much better than offense. But last season, our team had a turnover record for a reason. Our guys were absolutely lights out-almost every single game. Defense was incredibly good.

I'm not saying defense is awful now, but it is definitely way behind last season. I don't think the inexperience at safety covers it. We been getting burned short, mid and deep by crap teams like USA. (and ULL was no great shakes either. We just made them look awesome.)
    I get what you see with you eyes but if we are in zone, they pass them off to the next guy. We statistically better on third down this year. 12 turnovers at this point last season compared to 7 turnovers this season. The defense is playing pretty dang well. The three teams we lost to are all ranked in the top 31 in scoring offense.

I hope you are right.

I really hope.

(And no. My theory has nothing to do with conspiracy. I'm not sure what's causing it, but this team is playing without much spirit. Has been all season.)

That's not to say that some individual players don't get fired up, but something is definitely awry.

People blame all our problems on the O line..... But what on earth happened to our defense? They are a shadow of what we saw last season. Even our outstanding corners have been getting burned by the likes of USA. (That should not be possible.)
    The corners didn't get burned against USA...out safeties were out of position. We play a ton of quarters coverage.

I wouldn't try to oversimplify things you think you're seeing on defense.

And you noted our RECORD BREAKING turnover margin last year...yeah... come on. Bruh...I hate to point out the obvious again...but that was a fluke and it is not sustainable.

Regardless of whether you want to believe it .. defenses do not CREATE turnovers. We got a lot of lucky breaks and took advantage of them. At the same time our offense had a freakish year with regards to not turning the ball over.

If you're worried because we aren't recreating a season like that then you set yourself up for failure with unrealistic expectations.

Our defense is just as mediocre as the were last year.
    Last edited by Buzz Killington; 17th October 2019 at 04:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Eagle02120624 View Post
    I get what you see with you eyes but if we are in zone, they pass them off to the next guy. We statistically better on third down this year. 12 turnovers at this point last season compared to 7 turnovers this season. The defense is playing pretty dang well. The three teams we lost to are all ranked in the top 31 in scoring offense.
    When he said our corners were getting burned, that let me know that he cares enough about the team to ***** non stop, but doesn't care enough to do any research into defensive coverages.

He likes to point the finger without knowing what he's talking about.

6. Default Re: Bob DeBesse opens up on ‘disjointed’ Georgia Southern offense

The excuses have all been stated. Fact seems to be we have what we have and we’re doing our best. Every team has turn over, injuries and unexpected ‘emergencies’. Depth creates less of this so the question is how does App and Troy seem to have accomplished what Southern can’t? Anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz Killington View Post
    When he said our corners were getting burned, that let me know that he cares enough about the team to ***** non stop, but doesn't care enough to do any research into defensive coverages.

He likes to point the finger without knowing what he's talking about.
    Yep.

Hard to play effective coverage without safety cover over the top when they're inexplicably coming up way too far for run support somehow.

The reason it may look like the corners got beat against USA was because they were the ones recognizing what was happening and athletic enough to try and get downfield to stop the WR. No one has really had to test our corners for the most part this year because of how underperforming our safety play has been to this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Richrappa View Post
    The excuses have all been stated. Fact seems to be we have what we have and we’re doing our best. Every team has turn over, injuries and unexpected ‘emergencies’. Depth creates less of this so the question is how does App and Troy seem to have accomplished what Southern can’t? Anyone?
    They made good coaching hires and had stability at the same time we had a bunch of turbulence in our program.

It catches up to you.

Oh boy.

Here we go.

Pretty soon this is gonna just degrade into some silly *** dissertation.

We all know exactly what will happen. It's exactly what happens every single first possession. Ever.

Just once, I would like to see Debeese burn one deep on the very first down of the first possession. It would work like a damned charm.....

But no. We gotta win the time of possession battle-even if we lose the damned scoreboard battle. Just be sure to eat clock. No matter what.

(Can none of our coaches see how they stack us on the first series? Seriously? They don't even bother covering anyone because why the hell should they?)
    We looked to be running play action on the first play against Minnesota, however the play was blown dead for a false start so we had to adjust. Their coverage changed at first and 15 so we weren't going to have the same luck.

Once again, mistakes and bad execution derail things.

IMO this is a defining week, we are playing a pretty good team that we should beat. How we come out of the bye week will be telling, the last game out of the bye we looked flat. Coming out of a bye I expect to see a team chomping at the bit to play, I expect to see a wrinkle or two, but mostly I expect to see an improvement. Did not happen after the last bye week, maybe this will be our breakout game. We need it, if not there will be no bowl game.
    "Did we give up when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?... No, Who is with me?" Bluto

"We'll win one we should have lost, and lose one we should have won, surprise a OOC FBS opponent or two, win the SBC Championship and get our third bowl win" Me