TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 121314

Thread: Bob DeBesse opens up on ‘disjointed’ Georgia Southern offense

Default Re: Bob DeBesse opens up on ‘disjointed’ Georgia Southern offense

Quote Originally Posted by pete4256 View Post
    Lots of experimentation with zone read in 2013.

The bigger change may have been from 2011 to 2012, though.

2013 was a frustrating season, but that had a lot to do with our lack of consistency and the sense that we were screwing around.

Of course, padding the stats against SSU and St. Francis helped the overall #s.
    I agree consistency was a big issue in 13, losing games made things seem worse than they were though. Still 6.31 YPP with StFr and SSU removed

Quote Originally Posted by GATAlac El Dorado View Post
    I appreciate you responding.

I’m not trying to trap you or anything sinister. As I’m sure you are aware, you’ve developed a reputation as being hypercritical of OC’s. I’m trying to draw out your thought process on that and understand whether you think a good coordinator can have a bad season (due to personnel, injuries, etc) or if you think a bad season means a good coordinator has fundamentally lost his mojo.

How much do you think having an unlimited-play trump card in J Foster might shade your perspective of Hatcher’s performance in ‘07?

Absolutely things like injuries and such can cause a good coordinator to have an off year.

As great as Foster was he doesn’t put up near the numbers he did without a good OC pulling the trigger. There is a lot that can be said about Hatcher but the man knows how to coach an offense. ‘07 was a combination of a great player with a very good offensive minded coach and a ton of upperclassmen talent around him. It wasn’t just snap the ball TL Foster and he runs around and makes something happen like so many times it gets remembered on here. Not saying by you but it’s definitely been posted before.
    Quote Originally Posted by NO_QUARTER View Post
    I actually considered getting into a debate with Half one time (on something unimportant). But then chickened out because I knew my a$$ was about to get handed to me.

Quote Originally Posted by half-n-half View Post
    Absolutely things like injuries and such can cause a good coordinator to have an off year.

As great as Foster was he doesn’t put up near the numbers he did without a good OC pulling the trigger. There is a lot that can be said about Hatcher but the man knows how to coach an offense. ‘07 was a combination of a great player with a very good offensive minded coach and a ton of upperclassmen talent around him. It wasn’t just snap the ball TL Foster and he runs around and makes something happen like so many times it gets remembered on here. Not saying by you but it’s definitely been posted before.
    well he did run around a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by garns 4 View Post
    well he did run around a lot.
    When you re-watch some of those highlights, it’s almost comical how poorly defenders played zone read stuff back in 2007.

In that CCU game, for instance, the DE tried to play/contain Jayson and simply got his ankles broken. He beat edge defenders one-on-one and one-on-two a LOT.
    Thanks, Rastabot!
    www.247sports.com/porkchops

Quote Originally Posted by Army Eagle View Post
    Rank Season Yards Per Play Yards Per Game
    Thats interesting Army Eagle, that their was a 100 yard per game difference between 1999 and 2000. In those 2 NC years GSU was rolling out between 554 yards per game in 1999 and 459 yards per game in 2000 yet we won 2 National championships in both years. You wouldn't happen to know the total top 6 scoring teams averages for the yards gaind, would you.?
    GSU Spread Option FOOTBALL - out weighed, but never outplayed

Quote Originally Posted by pete4256 View Post

****The big difference is that it takes the flex QB and B-Back about 10,000 reps (Sewak actually put a number on it, but I can’t remember) to get the dive mesh “right.”

However, most HS RBs and QBs we recruit come in having run a lot of zone read plays. In theory, we should be able to execute these plays without an obsessive commitment to them (which you need to run veer plays in the flex). I haven’t seen that theory borne out in practice, though.
    I have also heard that the Wishbone, Broken Bone & split back veer Triple Option also take a lot of reps to find the Full Back hand off key and intercept speed consistently or even the QB keep/Pitch portion of the outside option depending on a 7 or 8 man front or who is taking the QB & pitch.

Still if you look at Army Eagle's stats, under the right coaching staff and players we seemed to have picked the Triple Option scheme up pritty fast, put up big yardage and points.
    GSU Spread Option FOOTBALL - out weighed, but never outplayed

Quote Originally Posted by Army Eagle View Post
    Rank Season Yards Per Play Yards Per Game
    I’m not surprised at all to see 2009 as the worst in GS history, good lord that year was painful to watch.

8. Default Re: Bob DeBesse opens up on ‘disjointed’ Georgia Southern offense

Quote Originally Posted by GSUcoastie09 View Post
    I’m not surprised at all to see 2009 as the worst in GS history, good lord that year was painful to watch.
    YPG is actually a little worse this year-so far.

Quote Originally Posted by garns 4 View Post
    yep, +1.
    +2

Maybe he just needs to get jointed and blaze one.
    Dr. Tredell Dorsey, Esq., Black Belt, and motivational speaker