TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Jordan Wiggins death

Default Re: Jordan Wiggins death

Quote Originally Posted by jcountry View Post
    This all reminds me of a guy I knew who went to GT.

He was super-smart. Very talented at engineering. Was in aero. Wanted to work for NASA.... Seemed to have the world on a string. Was living his dream. (I knew his roommate well, and she said there were no warning signs. The guy appeared normal and happy to all of us.) And he went this way.

It’s just impossible to understand. Best anyone can do is hope his family and friends find peace and comfort in their memories of the good times.

Prayers for all. This will be a heavy load for his family and friends to bear.
    Same with a friend that went to UGA. Was very popular in high school, very outgoing, made straight A's, was always the life of the party, etc. Then one day I got that call. Just didn't make any sense, and still doesn't. He was 20 years old with the entire world at his feet. Just one of those things that's impossible to understand unless you are in their head feeling what they feel.

Terrible tragedy for all associated with the young man. Mental Health and Substance use disorders are the number one killers by far - it's not even close and they're the most misunderstood illnesses. This stuff doesn't get fixed by a pill. Lots of work and good therapy is necessary.

This all reminds me of a guy I knew who went to GT.

He was super-smart. Very talented at engineering. Was in aero. Wanted to work for NASA.... Seemed to have the world on a string. Was living his dream. (I knew his roommate well, and she said there were no warning signs. The guy appeared normal and happy to all of us.) And he went this way.

It’s just impossible to understand. Best anyone can do is hope his family and friends find peace and comfort in their memories of the good times.

Prayers for all. This will be a heavy load for his family and friends to bear.
    Very similar to my experience with my friend as well. I was his roommate and we were close. He was an RA and most of our friends were RA's and RD's. They were all trained to look for signs and what to pay attention to. He was always smiling, was always in a good mood, was always there to do anything that anyone needed, was selfless and everyone that knew him loved him. I can honestly say there were no outward signs of anything being wrong. But just as our friends were trained to spot things, he was also trained and apparently knew what to hide. He went missing when we were all off for winter break and when we learned where he was found, a few of us knew before we ever got the final report that it was self-inflicted. He always talked about wanting to fishing in a particular place. He drove to his dream spot, went fishing one last time and that was it.
    Anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice. Ammo is cheap. Life is expensive

4. Default Re: Jordan Wiggins death

Quote Originally Posted by KJ Eagle View Post
    Very similar to my experience with my friend as well. I was his roommate and we were close. He was an RA and most of our friends were RA's and RD's. They were all trained to look for signs and what to pay attention to. He was always smiling, was always in a good mood, was always there to do anything that anyone needed, was selfless and everyone that knew him loved him. I can honestly say there were no outward signs of anything being wrong. But just as our friends were trained to spot things, he was also trained and apparently knew what to hide. He went missing when we were all off for winter break and when we learned where he was found, a few of us knew before we ever got the final report that it was self-inflicted. He always talked about wanting to fishing in a particular place. He drove to his dream spot, went fishing one last time and that was it.
    That stuff is tough.

I read somewhere that it’s not helpful to try and apply logic and reason to events like this. It will just upset and confuse you.

Anyone who commits suicide isn’t using logic or reason, so trying to figure it out winds up being a fool’s errand.

I just hope his family and close friends get professional therapy. I’ve known parents in this and similar situations and they universally say the best thing they ever did was reach out and get help dealing with it. Professionals will show you the right ways to deal. It’s gotta be extremely tough.

That stuff is tough.

I read somewhere that it’s not helpful to try and apply logic and reason to events like this. It will just upset and confuse you.

Anyone who commits suicide isn’t using logic or reason, so trying to figure it out winds up being a fool’s errand.

I just hope his family and close friends get professional therapy. I’ve known parents in this and similar situations and they universally say the best thing they ever did was reach out and get help dealing with it. Professionals will show you the right ways to deal. It’s gotta be extremely tough.
    Wait........ did we just have a moment?

Agreed. There is no rhyme or reason to it and it affects everyone differently. I was very lucky to have a wonderful family and a very close knit group of friends who all experienced it as well. We all knew what everyone else was going through and helped each other get through it. I had a lot of shoulders to lean on and people to talk to for hours on end and it helped tremendously. I pray that his family and friends and the team/coaches are able to do the same. I pray they don't think professional help is for the weak and that if they need it, they seek it out.
    Anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice. Ammo is cheap. Life is expensive

6. Default Re: Jordan Wiggins death

Quote Originally Posted by KJ Eagle View Post
    Wait........ did we just have a moment?

Agreed. There is no rhyme or reason to it and it affects everyone differently. I was very lucky to have a wonderful family and a very close knit group of friends who all experienced it as well. We all knew what everyone else was going through and helped each other get through it. I had a lot of shoulders to lean on and people to talk to for hours on end and it helped tremendously. I pray that his family and friends and the team/coaches are able to do the same. I pray they don't think professional help is for the weak and that if they need it, they seek it out.
    That last part is very good. (I’ll take all “moments” I can get BTW. )

One guy I’m thinking about lost his daughter to a fluke heart problem at the Naval academy. She was in great shape, an athlete and all, but something went haywire with her heart and she just passed away in her sleep. This fella told me how great group therapy was for him.

No matter the cause, losing a child in the prime of life is heavy duty stuff. It’s just a wrecking ball.

The way my friend put it was “you’re gonna deal with it one way or another. Therapy gives you the right tools. You’re not gonna improvise a healthy way to deal with this sort of thing.”

I’m fortunate to have never lost a child, but if I did, I wouldn’t hesitate for a second. Prayers and condolences are appreciated I’m sure, but man. This is where I would raise my hand and say “help. This is too much for me to handle alone.” I can’t begin to imagine how hard this is for his family.

Matthew tells us that God never gives us more than we can handle. I flat call BS on that. This sort of thing is too much for anyone to handle alone.

One guy I’m thinking about lost his daughter to a fluke heart problem at the Naval academy. She was in great shape, an athlete and all, but something went haywire with her heart and she just passed away in her sleep. This fella told me how great group therapy was for him.

No matter the cause, losing a child in the prime of life is heavy duty stuff. It’s just a wrecking ball.

The way my friend put it was “you’re gonna deal with it one way or another. Therapy gives you the right tools. You’re not gonna improvise a healthy way to deal with this sort of thing.”

I’m fortunate to have never lost a child, but if I did, I wouldn’t hesitate for a second. Prayers and condolences are appreciated I’m sure, but man. This is where I would raise my hand and say “help. This is too much for me to handle alone.” I can’t begin to imagine how hard this is for his family.

Matthew tells us that God never gives us more than we can handle. I flat call BS on that. This sort of thing is too much for anyone to handle alone.
    one can use the support that is available but when it comes down to it, it falls on me, what choice do I make. Acceptance is the answer to all my problems, do I accept and move on or do I fight acceptance and stay "stuck". Acceptance is a process and that process can take weeks, months or years before its "OK" and each person has their own time line.

Matthew says God will never give us anything that He can’t handle. Only God can and will be a source of strength and comfort because we will always find ourselves in situations well beyond anything we can handle. A friend of mine who lost her husband to suicide helped me. She said her husband died of depression, not suicide because had his mind been ok he would never have done such a thing. So, for whatever reason, Jordan was functionally depressed and found the only way he could get relief. As has been said already, mental health is a serious disease that needs serious intervention. Good discussion by you guys and appreciate the way this board has responded to such a tragedy. God bless. Matthew 11:28 says Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.

Quote Originally Posted by leeman View Post
    Matthew says God will never give us anything that He can’t handle. Only God can and will be a source of strength and comfort because we will always find ourselves in situations well beyond anything we can handle. A friend of mine who lost her husband to suicide helped me. She said her husband died of depression, not suicide because had his mind been ok he would never have done such a thing. So, for whatever reason, Jordan was functionally depressed and found the only way he could get relief. As has been said already, mental health is a serious disease that needs serious intervention. Good discussion by you guys and appreciate the way this board has responded to such a tragedy. God bless. Matthew 11:28 says Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.
    Exactly. Our pastor talked about this in a sermon recently. People have always got the "saying" wrong when they do the whole "God won't give you more than you can handle". That's just not right. If that were the case, why would you ever need to lean on Him.

Scott Guy
    c/o '93 - BS in Computer Science
    Cumming, Ga
    Tailgating in B31

10. Default Re: Jordan Wiggins death

Regardless of the interpretation, people really need to get help with a situation this tragic. That help comes in the form of trained professionals who are available in the here and now to help.

Don't mess around and hope that you can get through something this tough with prayer alone.