TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Georgia Proposes Bill to Allow College Athletes to Profit from Their Likeness

1. Default Georgia Proposes Bill to Allow College Athletes to Profit from Their Likeness

https://www.wtoc.com/2019/10/23/ga-r...-profit-image/

In a statement, Mitchell said, “With this legislation, Georgia hereby joins a rapidly growing number of states that have filed similar legislation, or are in the process of doing so, including Florida, New York, South Carolina and Minnesota. Not only is this an idea whose time has come, but Georgia schools would be at a decisive disadvantage when it comes to recruiting with other states that join California in implementing this act, if we fail to do the same.”

Default Re: Georgia Proposes Bill to Allow College Athletes to Profit from Their Likeness

Quote Originally Posted by TrueBlueDrew View Post

[FONT="]In a statement, Mitchell said, “With this legislation, Georgia hereby joins a rapidly growing number of states that have filed similar legislation, or are in the process of doing so, including Florida, New York, South Carolina and Minnesota. Not only is this an idea whose time has come, but Georgia schools would be at a decisive disadvantage when it comes to recruiting with other states that join California in implementing this act, if we fail to do the same.”[/FONT]
    This is nonsense. The NCAA isn't going to let some states by play by one set of rules and other states play by other rules.
    "Follow the trendlines, not the headlines." -Steven Pinker (?)

Regarding football Scheduling.

Default Re: Georgia Proposes Bill to Allow College Athletes to Profit from Their Likeness

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob View Post
    This is nonsense. The NCAA isn't going to let some states by play by one set of rules and other states play by other rules.
    There’s also a national bill for this. With the state bills growing in number with some successful and some probably not so much, this will pretty much force the NCAAs hand to redefine what a student athlete is.

On a more positive note, this may mean that EA can start working on the next NCAA game sooner rather than later.

Quote Originally Posted by TrueBlueDrew View Post

[FONT="]In a statement, Mitchell said, “With this legislation, Georgia hereby joins a rapidly growing number of states that have filed similar legislation, or are in the process of doing so, including Florida, New York, South Carolina and Minnesota. Not only is this an idea whose time has come, but Georgia schools would be at a decisive disadvantage when it comes to recruiting with other states that join California in implementing this act, if we fail to do the same.”[/FONT]
    Sadly the rapidly number or states that want to pay student athletes or allow the to profit on endorsements are stupid.

I dint know about you but the players that have scholarships are being payed for attending their collage for an education is payment. I ask you to look up how much it takes to go to a university for 4-5 years. The average student may have some scholarship money, but also have to take loans that they have to pay back. The athlete pays for his/her education with a scholarship. I have nothing against an athlete paying his way through collage with a scholarship.

The big schools maybe able to pay their players with stipends or allow them to make money on endorsements or pics.

This destroys the smaller schools ability to recruit.

This bill and the super powers of the P5 an bite me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    GSU Spread Option FOOTBALL - out weighed, but never outplayed

5. Default Re: Georgia Proposes Bill to Allow College Athletes to Profit from Their Likeness

Let’s talk about the real question here-

How does this move us closer to getting another new release of NCAA football on Xbox?

6. Default Re: Georgia Proposes Bill to Allow College Athletes to Profit from Their Likeness

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob View Post
    Why not?

The NCAA plays by whatever the hell rules it chooses.

Will there be a salary cap?
    Looking at it objectively, I don't believe it would have any effect on GS's position in FBS.

Quote Originally Posted by blueisbest View Post
    Let’s talk about the real question here-

How does this move us closer to getting another new release of NCAA football on Xbox?
    https://www.businessinsider.com/elec...etball-2019-10

Not as close as we hope, but it's a step.

Quote Originally Posted by TALON View Post
    Sadly the rapidly number or states that want to pay student athletes or allow the to profit on endorsements are stupid.

I dint know about you but the players that have scholarships are being payed for attending their collage for an education is payment. I ask you to look up how much it takes to go to a university for 4-5 years. The average student may have some scholarship money, but also have to take loans that they have to pay back. The athlete pays for his/her education with a scholarship. I have nothing against an athlete paying his way through collage with a scholarship.

The big schools maybe able to pay their players with stipends or allow them to make money on endorsements or pics.

This destroys the smaller schools ability to recruit.

This bill and the super powers of the P5 an bite me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A college kicker was ruled ineligible a few years back because he had his own youtube channel that got a lot of views, therefore, he got to earn ad revenue. NCAA ruled this was against their rules, and he was ruled ineligible.

If a kid in college wants to make some money signing autographs, let him. If he wants to sell his game worn cleats, let him.

Quote Originally Posted by GSU08 View Post
    A college kicker was ruled ineligible a few years back because he had his own youtube channel that got a lot of views, therefore, he got to earn ad revenue. NCAA ruled this was against their rules, and he was ruled ineligible.

If a kid in college wants to make some money signing autographs, let him. If he wants to sell his game worn cleats, let him.
    Yeah...that case was so stupid. I understand it is a slippery slope because that kid could sell his game used cleats but a huge donor could buy those cleats for a crazy high mark up. Again, Im not necessarily against the kids making some extra money but I can see where there might be some issues.