TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: NCAA has announced players may paid for sponsorship and endorsements

Default Re: NCAA has announced players may paid for sponsorship and endorsements

Quote Originally Posted by GATAlac El Dorado View Post
    I know it’s been a debate. I don’t know why it had to be a forgone conclusion that they had to be paid. It’s a fundamental pillar of the organization that the athletes are supposed to be amateurs.

The states bluffed and the NCAA refused to call them on it. The NCAA is a private membership organization and can make their own rules on this. If the NCAA said “If your state mandates that players can be paid, then you can’t be a member institution” then the schools would either have to form their own alternative organization to compete under, or they’d be lobbying their legislatures to repeal the laws.

There are gonna be players making many multiples of any amount a player has ever been paid under the table.

Exactly.

The real issue is going going to be in How this is administered. Is there a cap? Who determines what you’re getting paid for and if it’s allowable? The NCAA doesn’t have a good track record for judicious rulings.

The NFL should just lift the ban on underclassmen-problem solved. You play as an amateur or you go pro.
    Who cares? Let them get paid. The market will correct itself.

Boosters will get burned plenty by throwing money at kids that don't pan out and you'll start to see that kind of thing die off quickly.

Kids will still get paid...but not astronomical sums.

Vast majority of CFB players aren't really that valuable. The elite kids will make bank.

Default Re: NCAA has announced players may paid for sponsorship and endorsements

Will be interesting to watch it play out from the sidelines as it won't affect GS or its peers.

Quote Originally Posted by yourmother View Post
    Will be interesting to watch it play out from the sidelines as it won't affect GS or its peers.
    Nope. There's about 5-8 current players who would have a shot at an endorsement deal/sponsorship. I'm sure you'll see things like Jake Fromm being in a local F150 commercial, or players making their own money off of autographed memorabilia.

Quote Originally Posted by KJ Eagle View Post
    That's where I'm at. No one will be able to police it and there will be a "fight" for 5 star recruits that makes their endorsement money sky rocket over the next couple years. There is no real market value for what it "should" cost, so the first numbers are going to soar exponentially.
    Yes
    Quote Originally Posted by KJ Eagle View Post
    Why does a state's legislation have any jurisdiction on how a private entity rules it's members? What if the state decided whatever field you are in that it's illegal to pay anyone in your field less than a million dollars a year?
    Yes, yes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzz Killington View Post
    Who cares? Let them get paid. The market will correct itself.

Boosters will get burned plenty by throwing money at kids that don't pan out and you'll start to see that kind of thing die off quickly.

Kids will still get paid...but not astronomical sums.

Vast majority of CFB players aren't really that valuable. The elite kids will make bank.
    I care, because if I wanted to watch professional athletes I would watch the NFL.

I don’t see the trend of boosters throwing money at coaches that don’t pan out slowing down any . . .

You telling me that Trevor Lawrence couldn’t go out right now and negotiate a huge endorsement deal with a big chain of Carolina car dealers, or else he might transfer to Notre Dame?

The law of unintended consequences is going to run amok with this.
    Ever devoted to the twin causes of reason and justice . . . ever at risk of waxing verbose

Quote Originally Posted by kdarnell233 View Post
    Nope. There's about 5-8 current players who would have a shot at an endorsement deal/sponsorship. I'm sure you'll see things like Jake Fromm being in a local F150 commercial, or players making their own money off of autographed memorabilia.
    I think it's naive to assume this is only going to happen among the very most elite players.

Imagine Joe Schmoe who owns a car dealership in Boone NC offering $5k a year endorsement deal for any player who earns all-conference honors, and some dealership owner in Statesboro responds by making it $6k a year.
    "Follow the trendlines, not the headlines." -Steven Pinker (?)

Regarding football Scheduling.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob View Post
    I think it's naive to assume this is only going to happen among the very most elite players.

Imagine Joe Schmoe who owns a car dealership in Boone NC offering $5k a year endorsement deal for any player who earns all-conference honors, and some dealership owner in Statesboro responds by making it $6k a year.
    I'm sure there will be some players at all levels getting something. However, it won't affect the current pecking order or dividing lines. Everyone will still just be competing for the same level players they're able to get now.

Quote Originally Posted by yourmother View Post
    I'm sure there will be some players at all levels getting something. However, it won't affect the current pecking order or dividing lines. Everyone will still just be competing for the same level players they're able to get now.
    This. Alabama/Norte Dame/Clemson etc still going to get the best recruiting classes. We are still going to get the 2/3 star recruits. What part of this are people not understanding? Just need to regulate and tax it. Put caps on earnings. Or put it in escrow until they graduate. Then have exceptions for the 1% who make the pros. Fail out of school, get it when you are 25.

No longer eating crow for saying "The TO is gone get over it!!"

This is the end of college football. Absolutely disgusting decision.
    Too many Urkels on your team that's why your wins low

9. Default Re: NCAA has announced players may paid for sponsorship and endorsements

What happens when a 5 star player does not pan out. Does he have to give the money back like a signing bonus. Thinking of scenarios this slippery road may go down.

There are no rules that say what the endorsement has to be or what can be paid for it. Using the car dealership example, All they would have to do is put a picture up in their dealership or take a picture with the kid and one of their cars, and here's a bag full of money to go to our school. All this is going to do is allow the boosters that were already paying the big time recruits to do so legally and out in the open. What's to keep Nike from paying a kid that is an absolute no brainer superstar like Zion a million dollars to come to Oregon? If they are going to pay him $90M or whatever he just got after he graduates, who cares whether they cut one or two million off the top and give it to him a year early?
    Anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice. Ammo is cheap. Life is expensive