TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: For those who attended the App State game

1. Default Re: For those who attended the App State game

There students were cocky and definitely not very knowledgeable on the rivalry. Other than the weather, it was a pleasant experience. Being the stadium is built in the side of a mountain, the wind swirled ridiculously. The metal bleachers were iced by the end of the game.

Default Re: For those who attended the App State game

The dumb, drunk, and obnoxious crowd filtered out early in the third quarter. There were a few of them standings on the bleachers in front of us. I had to sternly remind them this isn't the student section, and I'm not going to ask my 60 year old in-laws to try and balance on frozen aluminum bleachers. A little back and forth with some dumb drunk kid who tried to start an App State chant for the entire first half while screaming right in our face. The walk to and from the stadium were heard a bunch of F*** Southern from the younger crowd. You could tell a lot of the younger crowd had no appreciation for us and thought it was embarrassing, pathetic, fireable for Drink for them to lose to a little school in south Georgia. Seriously.

The older fans were extremely hospitable, knowledgeable about us and the rivalry, and wished us well after the game. One even bought my wife and I some hot cocoa. Very nice people and reminded me of our older crowd.

I remember when I thought they concourses were huge, and was so jealous of their set up on the "away side". Not anymore. Extremely cramped, absolutely no room to walk freely, few bathrooms, and the erector set bleachers just feel high school-ish. The people working the concessions were very welcoming and fast.

Their video board is bad ***. That's the one part of their stadium I'm truly jealous of. I know we goofed big time with the decision to go with our current board and hopefully it can be corrected in the future. It was certainly sweet to watch our guys run all of them on it, but they rarely showed any replays of us doing anything good. Just App. Their sound system (from section 109) was tuned great, IMO. Loud, clear, and not having that blaring sound. However, it was played way too often. Definitely took away from the college feel of the game...until the 4th quarter...

...App's student section was on FIRE! Obviously in part to do with the comeback, but they all went nuts when a certain couple of songs were played. Definitely electric. Not sure if it is like that during every game, or if it was just that one, but I wish our students would be that rowdy every game, not just during big ones.

For those of you not in the stands Thursday night, you have no idea how incredibly nasty the weather was, especially later in the second half. The TV shots and weather reports did it no justice. Frozen rain that felt like getting hit by a sand in the face, patches of ice forming in the stands, there were reported 40-50 mph gusts of wind that certainly knocked a few of us on our butts, and you could see rain/sleet/snow moving in every direction high above the field. And it was constant. Not to mention the tornado watch right before/during the game.

I hope we go more vertical on the home side when we finally expand. App's home side building and stands being more vertical helps create a more impressive visual than the more flat angle we have to our seats. I like the feel they're going for with it being closed in. It sure does help with creating a loud atmosphere.

I went with my wife and mom. I saw some students making jerks of themselves, but didn’t have any problems myself, as it appeared to be directed at other app fans. The wind was pretty wicked up in 209. I went to the bathroom at one point in the third quarter and saw a group of guys lined up against the wall. I queued up assuming they had formed a line for the stalls, but after a few minutes I realized they were just there to get warm. I enjoyed being able to buy a beer for the game.

4. Default Re: For those who attended the App State game

Quote Originally Posted by ack View Post
    I went with my wife and mom. I saw some students making jerks of themselves, but didn’t have any problems myself, as it appeared to be directed at other app fans. The wind was pretty wicked up in 209. I went to the bathroom at one point in the third quarter and saw a group of guys lined up against the wall. I queued up assuming they had formed a line for the stalls, but after a few minutes I realized they were just there to get warm. I enjoyed being able to buy a beer for the game.
    Thank you and all the other true blue eagles that braved the elements for your service!

Quote Originally Posted by The Demoralizer View Post
    The dumb, drunk, and obnoxious crowd filtered out early in the third quarter. There were a few of them standings on the bleachers in front of us. I had to sternly remind them this isn't the student section, and I'm not going to ask my 60 year old in-laws to try and balance on frozen aluminum bleachers. A little back and forth with some dumb drunk kid who tried to start an App State chant for the entire first half while screaming right in our face. The walk to and from the stadium were heard a bunch of F*** Southern from the younger crowd. You could tell a lot of the younger crowd had no appreciation for us and thought it was embarrassing, pathetic, fireable for Drink for them to lose to a little school in south Georgia. Seriously.

The older fans were extremely hospitable, knowledgeable about us and the rivalry, and wished us well after the game. One even bought my wife and I some hot cocoa. Very nice people and reminded me of our older crowd.

I remember when I thought they concourses were huge, and was so jealous of their set up on the "away side". Not anymore. Extremely cramped, absolutely no room to walk freely, few bathrooms, and the erector set bleachers just feel high school-ish. The people working the concessions were very welcoming and fast.

Their video board is bad ***. That's the one part of their stadium I'm truly jealous of. I know we goofed big time with the decision to go with our current board and hopefully it can be corrected in the future. It was certainly sweet to watch our guys run all of them on it, but they rarely showed any replays of us doing anything good. Just App. Their sound system (from section 109) was tuned great, IMO. Loud, clear, and not having that blaring sound. However, it was played way too often. Definitely took away from the college feel of the game...until the 4th quarter...

...App's student section was on FIRE! Obviously in part to do with the comeback, but they all went nuts when a certain couple of songs were played. Definitely electric. Not sure if it is like that during every game, or if it was just that one, but I wish our students would be that rowdy every game, not just during big ones.

For those of you not in the stands Thursday night, you have no idea how incredibly nasty the weather was, especially later in the second half. The TV shots and weather reports did it no justice. Frozen rain that felt like getting hit by a sand in the face, patches of ice forming in the stands, there were reported 40-50 mph gusts of wind that certainly knocked a few of us on our butts, and you could see rain/sleet/snow moving in every direction high above the field. And it was constant. Not to mention the tornado watch right before/during the game.

I hope we go more vertical on the home side when we finally expand. App's home side building and stands being more vertical helps create a more impressive visual than the more flat angle we have to our seats. I like the feel they're going for with it being closed in. It sure does help with creating a loud atmosphere.
    +1 on the weather...and we were trying to run our offense straight into the teeth of that wind. Almost impossible to do much more than IZ plays. App St knew it and really crowded the line of scrimmage.