TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Going conservative with the lead

Default Re: Going conservative with the lead

One thing to think about, the wind picked up dramatically in the second half too. We saw it with the push on Bass's kick. In the fourth quarter, we were going right into it.

I'm wondering how much that was felt on the ground. It could be we didn't want to go outside that much because the push from the wind was actually tangible on the field, as in it was a struggle to run against.

I'm not saying it's a reason, but I've just been walking in really high winds before and had issues. I couldn't imagine trying to run a play in it. Just something to think about.

The fourth quarter was a lot like the fourth quarter against TxSt in 2005. The only thing we could wisely do was try to run clock, and they loaded up on that and dominated it.

The difference is that we were good enough on defense to hold on.
    Thanks, Rastabot!
    www.247sports.com/porkchops

3. Default Re: Going conservative with the lead

I get that the odds may favor just burning clock with a 24/7 lead.

That makes sense....

But the BIG stat that was being overlooked was our score was under 30. We have a VERY poor record of wins with less than 30.

Probably would have been better to just stick with what got us to that lead.

Did we also go prevent defense in the 4th? (Exactly like Minn?) Why? I really don't get why we do that rather than sticking with exactly what we were doing.

I think the logic is to force the defense to use a lot of plays to get any points (and wasting time) instead of making the defense vulnerable to a big play that scores quickly. I think we’re just a bit too conservative but it worked this time.

5. Default Re: Going conservative with the lead

Quote Originally Posted by PowerEagle View Post
    I think the logic is to force the defense to use a lot of plays to get any points (and wasting time) instead of making the defense vulnerable to a big play that scores quickly. I think we’re just a bit too conservative but it worked this time.

I'm sure you are right.

But I definitely question why we went that route against someone like Zac Thomas. He is a VERY good QB. Better than a lot of P5 guys.

It worked out. Barely.

The 4th should have been comfortable. We are leaving waaaaay too much to luck.

I don't think the ball will bounce our way as often if we keep playing for OT.

6. Default Re: Going conservative with the lead

Anyone notice this:

1:40:30

Am I off base?

Did the App guy not push kennedy after a fair catch was called?

How was that not a penalty?

-Also, Shai got pushed in the back-HARD after his TD. Where was that flag?

(The refs weren't as crazy in this game, but they definitely "missed" a couple of big ones.)

I've literally never seen a flag in my entire life on those end zone plays where Shai was pushed for "unnecessary roughness" or whatever you think it may be. Happens every week in NCAA/NFL.
    No longer eating crow for saying "The TO is gone get over it!!"

8. Default Re: Going conservative with the lead

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimojoe View Post
    Lol. Vildor is our best defender by a landslide. Ellis is good, but he’s not even in our top 3 best defenders.
    Aren't you the same person that said Appy would score 50 on us? Sorry if i dont value your opinion at all. Go back to that hole you live in. In our defense, the linebackers have to be good. Let Ellis get hurt and watch how are defense goes down. Ellis was out two plays that Harris came in on and immediately missed two tackles. Vildor was out for a half and we still played great defense.

9. Default Re: Going conservative with the lead

Quote Originally Posted by jcountry View Post
    I'm sure you are right.

But I definitely question why we went that route against someone like Zac Thomas. He is a VERY good QB. Better than a lot of P5 guys.

It worked out. Barely.

The 4th should have been comfortable. We are leaving waaaaay too much to luck.

I don't think the ball will bounce our way as often if we keep playing for OT.
    We weren't playing for OT. The defense went back to playing defense the way they did last year. Eliminate the big play. The only difference is that we also eliminated the middle of the field. We made Thomas throw the ball towards the sideline.

10. Default Re: Going conservative with the lead

Quote Originally Posted by jcountry View Post
    Anyone notice this:

1:40:30

Am I off base?

Did the App guy not push kennedy after a fair catch was called?

How was that not a penalty?

-Also, Shai got pushed in the back-HARD after his TD. Where was that flag?

(The refs weren't as crazy in this game, but they definitely "missed" a couple of big ones.)
    Conspiracy theory again? Lol. Ridiculous. The refs done a pretty good job for the most part. Some holds i saw when rewatching the game but nothing major.