TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 1011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Going conservative with the lead

1. Default Re: Going conservative with the lead

Ok.

So...

Let’s assume y’all are right.... That sitting on the lead for the entire 4th was brilliant.
    (it most definitely was not, but I digress.)

How come all our offensive plays were snapped with 10 to 15 seconds on the clock?

If you’re trying to burn clock, burn some damn clock!

Clock management was something Ellison was a master at. I sure wish we had that again. It’s basic, but critically important

2. Default Re: Going conservative with the lead

Quote Originally Posted by jcountry View Post
    Ok.

So...

Let’s assume y’all are right.... That sitting on the lead for the entire 4th was brilliant.

How come all our offensive plays were snapped with 10 to 15 seconds on the clock?

Clock management was something Ellison was a master at. I sure wish we had that again. It’s basic, but critically important

I thought Shai did a good job running the clock down to below 5 seconds on the last final drives---- I by no means support the conservative play calling in the 4th, want to get that in the open lol

Default Re: Going conservative with the lead

Ok.

So...

You act like we lost instead of beating a top 20 team in horrible weather in a place we historically do not play well.

Just go away!

Quote Originally Posted by 1peatfor7 View Post
    Both teams were near the hash mark = flag. They wanted to stop it before anything were to happen (proactive). Notice the following week, the team faced the fans and stayed on the sideline and no flag.
    Unsportsmanlike Conduct (Taunting)

It's just that simple.

For those wanting to open up the playbook in the 4th quarter, I'm really interested to hear just what plays would you call if you were Debesse. The wind is howling right into the players faces. Blowing snow!!! Wind chill is in the low 20s. The ball is hard as a rock and still wet. App St has absolutely stacked the box, knowing that throwing into that wind, which was much stronger in the 4th quarter than at anytime in the game, would be virtually impossible. All ears here....name your plays!
    Last edited by straightshooter; 6th November 2019 at 09:57 AM.

6. Default Re: Going conservative with the lead

Quote Originally Posted by Pike51 View Post
    Unsportsmanlike Conduct (Taunting)

It's just that simple.

Who was being taunted?

Both sides were hyped and jumping around, but there was absolutely no taunting/gesturing/whatever happening on either side.

7. Default Re: Going conservative with the lead

Quote Originally Posted by CJAK View Post
    You act like we lost instead of beating a top 20 team in horrible weather in a place we historically do now play well.

Just go away!
    I hate to see us blow momentum like that.

Keep the foot on the gas and we would have had another TD and denied APP at least one TD.

The weather wasn't good enough to risk a throw, I agree.... But there are all kind of things we could have been doing-like exactly what got us to 24 in the first place.

I think the most frustrating thing about DeBeese is when he really gets us rolling, he stops. He has done this multiple times by going from full awesome to full conservative/anemic/pathetic with playcalling. App certainly wasn't an outlier.

Who was being taunted?

Both sides were hyped and jumping around, but there was absolutely no taunting/gesturing/whatever happening on either side.
    Yes there was. GS started, innocently enough, but several players were directing themselves towards the opposite sideline. CCU took exception and started in response and their guys were specifically directing it towards our sideline.

Taunting. Plain and simple.
    Quote Originally Posted by StanMolsonMan View Post
    Because.... We're idiots.

Quote Originally Posted by straightshooter View Post
    For those wanting to open up the playbook in the 4th quarter, I'm really interested to hear just what plays would you call if you were Debesse. The wind is howling right into the players faces. Blowing snow!!! Wind chill is in the low 20s. The ball is hard as a rock and still wet. App St has absolutely stacked the box, knowing that throwing into that wind, which was much stronger in the 4th quarter than at anytime in the game, would be virtually impossible. All ears here....name your plays!
    I don't think anybody watching on TV had any idea how bad it really was with the wind, and I think that's where most of the criticism is coming from. That said, if we were able to get one first down on our last 3 or 4 possessions the end of that game would've been a lot less dramatic. This is one of those good to great situations where we're still lacking, it'd be nice to be able to put a team away and not hold our breath and depend on them stopping themselves whether it be USA or App.

This is not ONLY about Debesse and play calling. I would bet if we tracked the actual plays called, they would look very similar if not exactly similar to the plays in the first three quarters. The difference is what risks were we willing to take with the weather when we had a lead. Having played sports most of my life, momentum is a real thing. Whether we like to admit it or not, things absolutely go in cycles during games. Appy got hot and aggressive when they needed to and that, combined with the weather and our trying to bleed clock turned into a nail biter at the end.
    Anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice. Ammo is cheap. Life is expensive