TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 13141516 LastLast

Thread: Andrew Cunningham and Jared Daniels enter transfer portal 11/3/19

Default Re: Andrew Cunningham and Jared Daniels enter transfer portal 11/3/19

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz Killington View Post
    Nothing changes the fact that there is an 85 scholarship limit. As long as that limit exists, these exaggerated "nightmare" scenarios are nonsense.

Call me when P5s have unlimited scholarships...then I'll worry.
    yes, I agree that some of them are exaggerated, but until every school in the P5 uses ALL of the 85 scholarships EVERY year, then there is still the possibility. How many P5 schools do we see on social media making a video about giving a scholly to a deserving walk-on. If they have them available for a walk-on, why would you think that they don't have them available for a stud QB at a G5 or lower P5 if they have a depth or injury problem? I'm not saying that there are going to be 50 G5 players a year poached away. Hell it may not even be 5 a year. But if it happens even ONCE to us don't you think it will be a huge detriment to our team? Yes, It could have happened before too. But with the sit out a year it made it a bit harder of a decision for the player to make before.
    Anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice. Ammo is cheap. Life is expensive

2. Default Re: Andrew Cunningham and Jared Daniels enter transfer portal 11/3/19

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz Killington View Post
    Nothing changes the fact that there is an 85 scholarship limit. As long as that limit exists, these exaggerated "nightmare" scenarios are nonsense.

Call me when P5s have unlimited scholarships...then I'll worry.
    Yep, and even with unlimited scholarships you can still only play 11 at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by EAGLEMAN View Post

That’s irrelevant. You can only play 11 now but 5* kids still follow up other 5* kids at the top programs. Take away the 85 and P5’s could then take the transfer AND sign the recruit and then let it sort itself out.
    Quote Originally Posted by NO_QUARTER View Post
    I actually considered getting into a debate with Half one time (on something unimportant). But then chickened out because I knew my a$$ was about to get handed to me.

4. Default Re: Andrew Cunningham and Jared Daniels enter transfer portal 11/3/19

Quote Originally Posted by half-n-half View Post
    That’s irrelevant. You can only play 11 now but 5* kids still follow up other 5* kids at the top programs. Take away the 85 and P5’s could then take the transfer AND sign the recruit and then let it sort itself out.
    Itís not irrelevant. Itís less significant than the 85, much less significant, but itís not irrelevant.

5. Default Re: Andrew Cunningham and Jared Daniels enter transfer portal 11/3/19

Quote Originally Posted by KJ Eagle View Post
    yes, I agree that some of them are exaggerated, but until every school in the P5 uses ALL of the 85 scholarships EVERY year, then there is still the possibility. How many P5 schools do we see on social media making a video about giving a scholly to a deserving walk-on. If they have them available for a walk-on, why would you think that they don't have them available for a stud QB at a G5 or lower P5 if they have a depth or injury problem? I'm not saying that there are going to be 50 G5 players a year poached away. Hell it may not even be 5 a year. But if it happens even ONCE to us don't you think it will be a huge detriment to our team? Yes, It could have happened before too. But with the sit out a year it made it a bit harder of a decision for the player to make before.
    This is precisely what I’m trying to say.

You just put it more eloquently

6. Default Re: Andrew Cunningham and Jared Daniels enter transfer portal 11/3/19

Quote Originally Posted by EAGLEMAN View Post
    True.

But when one of those 11 we have is a once per generation player like AP or Ham....

Y’all don’t think a player that good wouldn’t get poached today? Everyone would make a play for AP-most certainly. No question he was good enough to be a starter for most any P5.

Ham and Ellison, and Jet, and Breida , and Jackson fall into that category some extent.

You wouldn’t need to poach very many before you can start to see the long term trajectory of our program take a real hit. Just two or three of those guys would change a lot.

I can imagine P5s using this as a weapon-just to stop being embarrassed by G5s

Quote Originally Posted by jcountry View Post
    True.

But when one of those 11 we have is a once per generation player like AP or Ham....

Y’all don’t think a player that good wouldn’t get poached today? Everyone would make a play for AP-most certainly. No question he was good enough to be a starter for most any P5.

Ham and Ellison, and Jet, and Breida , and Jackson fall into that category some extent.

You wouldn’t need to poach very many before you can start to see the long term trajectory of our program take a real hit. Just two or three of those guys would change a lot.

I can imagine P5s using this as a weapon-just to stop being embarrassed by G5s
    With the way high school kids are scouted and recruited these days, I doubt we stumble upon another generational talent like AP or Ham or Foster.

8. Default Re: Andrew Cunningham and Jared Daniels enter transfer portal 11/3/19

Quote Originally Posted by PowerEagle View Post
    With the way high school kids are scouted and recruited these days, I doubt we stumble upon another generational talent like AP or Ham or Foster.

Wasn't Bass a walk on? How about Edwin Jackson? Wasn't Breida just a two star?

We find more of these guys than some folks think. And they are extremely important to us.

We find more of these guys than some folks think. And they are extremely important to us.
    Do you consider any of the three you just mentioned "Generational talent" on the same level as AP or Ham? I would say no. They were all very good, but not at the same level, IMO.

10. Default Re: Andrew Cunningham and Jared Daniels enter transfer portal 11/3/19

Let me ask this...what if GS did this to an FCS school, say, Mercer? Using your Blankenship theory, what if Mercer has a player that is tearing it up his 1st 2 years? He is racking up the awards on the Defensive Line, a la, Brent Russell. On the Buchanan watch list and pre-season Defensive Player of The Year. In spring we have some injuries on the DL and a coach just happens to be in Macon and gets the kid to transfer to Statesboro. Wouldn't this be more devastating to Mercer with 23 less scholarships than Georgia Southern? Would it not be a dastardly deed same as Kirby Smart snagging Tyler Bass? What if we did it to another G5 program as we were aiming for a conference title? It can go both ways.