TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 12 of 46 FirstFirst ... 1011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Option Offense

Default Re: Option Offense

Quote Originally Posted by Richrappa View Post
    This is controversial for Southern but facts are are facts. Offense Rule college football. LSU proves it out tonight regardless of they play a down in the playoff they more than likely put Alabama out for the first time EVER.
    Time to modernize Southern NOW.
    Navy is ranked #24 or # 25, depending on which poll you look at, and is 7-1. Navy plays in the AAC which most consider the best G5 conference.

Airforce is 7-2 and ranked # 26 and play in the Mountain West.

NOW NAVY AND AIR FORCE ARE G5 SPREAD OPTION TEAMS MOVING INTO THE TOP 25!

UCF is ranked behind Navy.

When Fritz was at GSU, running the Shotgun option, he did very well at GSU the first 2 years. He lead GSU winning its first FBS bow lgame.

Now most of you know that I am not a fan of the Shotgun Option. If Fritz was still here and could do as well or better than his first 2 years I might change my mind.

**(1) Yes I know that Tracy Ham had the talent to run the T-Option to perfection & the ability to scan the field for open receivers which is uncommon for a strictly T-Option QB. Their are plenty of high schools in the U.S. that still run the T-Option in different formations and our recruiting staff should be looking hard at those option QBs

**(2) The line we had in 1985 & 86 were basely trained in cut blocking and yet look at the tremendous way they blocked for Ham when he was passing.

**(3) Please look at the wide receivers, slots & and even the full back catching passes. Everyone complains that a Triple Option teams receivers cant catch and yet these option wide receivers and backs did. They were not chosen for their primary job as a receiver and yet they were GREAT ATHLETES with good hands that understood their routes.

I'm not saying that the Spread Option is perfect, but if you can pass the ball as need be and make between 110-150 yards a game the Triple Option is completely opened up for the run attack.

If you look at the 1985 NC, shown below, You see a Spread Option team, that had a passing game incorporated to compliment the Triple Option attack.

ONCE AGAIN I POST the 1985 NC as an example of a QB with athletic backs and receivers. START AT 3:30 min.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUhrp2Gjnv4
    GSU Spread Option FOOTBALL - out weighed, but never outplayed

Quote Originally Posted by GIEAGLE View Post
    And the quarterback is supposed to be the distributor of the ball. He is supposed to be able to deliver the ball to players that can make offensive play calls work. If we're gonna continue to line up in a shotgun or pistol formation we must have a quarterback who's strength is throwing the ball. He must be able to deliver the ball on time to the right man and he must be able to "throw his receivers open". It's the receiver's job to get to the ball and catch it, but the quarterback must lead him to a "safe" spot to catch it. I have seen no indication we have a quarterback with the skill set necessary to be able to successfully distribute the ball in a pass based offense.

When you line up in a shotgun or pistol based scheme you must be able to execute a successful pass game. In the shotgun or pistol based scheme you throw successfully to open up the run. If your offensive scheme starts out under center you run successfully to open up the pass. You hit the los quickly enough from under center to hurt the D. You can't do that out of a scheme based on the shotgun or pistol set up.

We've been trying to do things on offense backwards ever since we stopped lining up under center to run our offense. No wonder we've been so inconsistent. As has been said, even a blind hog finds an acorn every now and then.
    No.

The only thought I’ll add to this thread is that you shouldn’t come on here and complain about not being in fcs, and not running the flex, or not being a real option team, or only having bowl games to play in instead of a national championship, or not being able to participate in a playoff system, or that we aren’t gaining new fans, or that we’ve ticked off some longtime fans only after a tough loss. Those opinions aren’t mine, but I’m more than happy for you to have them..... it just seems petty that they pop up after a tough loss. If you’re gonna post that, stay consistent and post that mess after we knock off appy or after we win bowl games or after we win our next conference championship.

Some of y’all post those opinions regularly, and I can respect that. I just can’t stand seeing folks ONLY bring this up in the hard times.

Hail southern
    A fool uttereth all his mind: but a wise man keepeth it in till afterwards.
    Proverbs 29:11

4. Default Re: Option Offense

Quote Originally Posted by wesley_4024 View Post
    On the contrary, most fans despise watching option offenses. Do you think it's a coincidence how so many penalties are geared against the defense, specifically pass defenses? It's not. That was done because people like to see passes. Not watching a dive on 3rd and 9. So, more likely, if the offense was changed and Georgia southern actually started to win doing it, the stands would likely begin to fill up more. The option is dead. But you're probably right, we're probably smarter than the other 99% of football teams in the FBS
    ....and targeting penalties were created because fans just didn’t like it.

I’ve said this before I’ll say it again the thing that’s an inherent disadvantage with this offense is getting to the edge. We ran load option a few times yesterday and Werts ran 15 yards laterally before gaining 2 yards. The angles make it tougher to get up field. I think there was a play where King took a pitch and ran out real estate because again the lateral angle to get to the edge was so extreme.
    Go Eagles!!

6. Default Re: Option Offense

GS is certainly one of the hardest coaching jobs in FBS football. Not only to you have to win and win quickly, you have to do it the way the fans demand. That's one of the reasons that our "national searches" last so long (sarcasm). There's almost no one that matches the criteria.

I've followed the team from day one. I am to the point that option football isn't important to me but I know I'm probably in the minority. I was at the Troy game yesterday. I had a guy sitting right behind me who seemed truly disgusted when we scored via the pass.

I'm not really sure where we go from here.

7. Default Re: Option Offense

Quote Originally Posted by Army Eagle View Post
    Meanwhile, Navy is ranked #24 now
    Yes, but they actually run the option with coaches that are committed to it.

Quote Originally Posted by eaglewraith View Post
    No.
    NO OFFENSE TO YOU, BUT EXPLAIN YOUR ANSWER "NO" BETTER.

Quote Originally Posted by southgeorgia View Post
    The only thought I’ll add to this thread is that you shouldn’t come on here and complain about not being in fcs, and not running the flex, or not being a real option team, or only having bowl games to play in instead of a national championship, or not being able to participate in a playoff system, or that we aren’t gaining new fans, or that we’ve ticked off some longtime fans only after a tough loss. Those opinions aren’t mine, but I’m more than happy for you to have them..... it just seems petty that they pop up after a tough loss. If you’re gonna post that, stay consistent and post that mess after we knock off appy or after we win bowl games or after we win our next conference championship.
    Some of y’all post those opinions regularly, and I can respect that. I just can’t stand seeing folks ONLY bring this up in the hard times.
    Hail southern
    *****I'll agree with every point you made except running the FLEX or Spread Triple Option. I will continue to comment on that!!!!!!

Because of the way things are going with the 5 P5 conferences I can see an 8 team playoff system comming to the G5 in the next 8 years. The 5 conference winners + the best 3 G5 teams added.The rest of the G5 can go to a bowl, but if a GREAT G5 team can make it into a high ranked, High Paying bowl than they can opt out of the 8 team G5 playoffs.

Hi, I am Andy and I'm a flexbone homer... Not gonna change that perception until we consistently match the success we've seen with the flex throughout our history. I feel we can better recruit athletes we need for the Flexbone better than we can to look like everyone else. Way more smaller quicker OL than the prototype everyone is after, way more 6 foot quick QBs who can throw and run and are athletic enough to move to other positions if QB doesn't work out for them. A lot of RBs that can play B or A back who maybe smaller but can fly, same thing at WR (or Wide Blocker), these guys have to be tough as well and take advantage of the pass when it does come their way. In the flex when the ball is snapped and the tallest guys on the field are the QB and his second read that is a beautiful thing, I'd love to get back to seeing GS football being played low and hard and fast. The pistol/gun option is just too slow to develop and too far from the line scrimmage, today's defenses flow so well, I just don't see it being an advantage. But until then I continue to contribute and be in the stands and pulling for our guys to play hard and win.
    Last edited by GSUNCSU; 10th November 2019 at 03:46 PM.
    "Did we give up when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?... No, Who is with me?" Bluto

"We'll win one we should have lost, and lose one we should have won, surprise a OOC FBS opponent or two, win the SBC Championship and get our third bowl win" Me