TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on
     
Page 34 of 46 FirstFirst ... 3233343536 ... LastLast
Results 331 to 340 of 457

Thread: Option Offense

  1. #331

    Default Re: Option Offense

    Quote Originally Posted by Pike51 View Post
    It's called fishing...
    No he was! He wore a members only jacket to the interview
    Go Eagles!!

  2. #332

    Default Re: Option Offense

    Quote Originally Posted by TALON View Post
    How is that?

    Is it because their student athlets have to serve in the service for at least 4 years after graduation and ours dont?

    The Academies are at a disadvantage at recruiting and yet they win!

    Not because they serve and you know what is different. With us and the three academies one school is not anything like the other three.
    Poster formerly known as gudp1

  3. #333

    Default Re: Option Offense

    Quote Originally Posted by GSCBBA1987 View Post
    Not because they serve and you know what is different. With us and the three academies one school is not anything like the other three.
    No, but we also have to recruit JUST the minimum requirement on the freshman index or whatever they call it in this case.

    The service academies have relaxed admission standards, but they still have to cut the mustard as cadets and midshipmen.

    We should be able recruit better talent than they do. Whether we can develop it as efficiently as they do is a different question altogether.

    The eyeball test told me that we were a lot faster than the service academies during the PJ and Sewak years. I’m not sure if that’s still true.

    We appear to have been beaten head-to-head in recruiting by Army a couple of times recently.
    Thanks, Rastabot!
    www.247sports.com/porkchops

  4. #334

    Default Re: Option Offense

    Quote Originally Posted by pete4256 View Post
    No, but we also have to recruit JUST the minimum requirement on the freshman index or whatever they call it in this case.

    The service academies have relaxed admission standards, but they still have to cut the mustard as cadets and midshipmen.

    We should be able recruit better talent than they do. Whether we can develop it as efficiently as they do is a different question altogether.

    The eyeball test told me that we were a lot faster than the service academies during the PJ and Sewak years. I’m not sure if that’s still true.

    We appear to have been beaten head-to-head in recruiting by Army a couple of times recently.
    Yes
    Poster formerly known as gudp1

  5. #335
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    LakeLand & Saint Simons Is.
    Posts
    3,868

    Default Re: Option Offense

    Quote Originally Posted by garns 4 View Post
    Got an idea!, lets run off 10 straight seasons with 8-12 wins per year.
    You know you cant do that running the Pistol or Flex option!

    Ooops maybe I'm wrong!
    GSU Spread Option FOOTBALL - out weighed, but never outplayed

  6. #336
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    LakeLand & Saint Simons Is.
    Posts
    3,868

    Default Re: Option Offense

    Quote Originally Posted by pete4256 View Post
    No, but we also have to recruit JUST the minimum requirement on the freshman index or whatever they call it in this case.

    The service academies have relaxed admission standards, but they still have to cut the mustard as cadets and midshipmen.

    We should be able recruit better talent than they do. Whether we can develop it as efficiently as they do is a different question altogether.

    The eyeball test told me that we were a lot faster than the service academies during the PJ and Sewak years. I’m not sure if that’s still true.

    We appear to have been beaten head-to-head in recruiting by Army a couple of times recently.
    OH MY GOD. THATS CRAZZY TALK! Then again maybe not!!!!!!
    GSU Spread Option FOOTBALL - out weighed, but never outplayed

  7. #337

    Default Re: Option Offense

    Quote Originally Posted by GATAlac El Dorado View Post
    Maybe if analyzed on a per possession or even per game basis, but not on a per season basis. The ‘worst’ of the flex seasons feel like a warm binky in hindsight. 1994 being the obvious and explainable anomaly.
    And in 1994 we were in the same boat we are now with a 1 dimensional offensive scheme. We lost to a division 2 football team because our offensive coordinator, Coach Mike Hodges, did not put enough emphasis on how important it was to be able to execute a pass game against teams that brought everybody up to stop the run. Coach Stowers was ultimately responsible for what his OC had been doing and he ended up paying the price later on. We lost games in that era because our pass game wasn't sharp enough to win games against good defensive units.

    When Coach Paul Johnson took over in 1997 things changed.

  8. Default Re: Option Offense

    Quote Originally Posted by GIEAGLE View Post
    And in 1994 we were in the same boat we are now with a 1 dimensional offensive scheme. We lost to a division 2 football team because our offensive coordinator, Coach Mike Hodges, did not put enough emphasis on how important it was to be able to execute a pass game against teams that brought everybody up to stop the run. Coach Stowers was ultimately responsible for what his OC had been doing and he ended up paying the price later on. We lost games in that era because our pass game wasn't sharp enough to win games against good defensive units.

    When Coach Paul Johnson took over in 1997 things changed.
    IDK what the right answer is.
    I do know that I want to win.

    I wish more fans wanted to just win.

    This worship of option is misplaced. I think things have evolved. Just because it was genius in the 80s, doesn’t mean it’s genius forever.

    I want whatever puts us in the position to win now. Today.

  9. #339

    Default Re: Option Offense

    Just a quick note:
    When reviewing our historic successes, I often see commitments about that success being against weaker opponents. When you read that, remember that MANY current G5 teams we now play were then either in 1-AA or didn't even play football. So, yes today's opponents are better than today's FCS MOSTLY, but many we're the same teams we played then. (& We didn't just beat some of them, we broke the scoreboards.. offense certainly ruled then)

    2: I really don't get how running an option offense is supposed to make our defense less equipped to stop a passing game. It's not like our starting defense spends all it's time trying to figure out our own offense. Our D spends most of it's time facing the scout team who is running the next opponent's offense. Or that's what used to happen, I'm assuming it's still the same. I just think it's a non issue.

    This had turned into a flex versus gun option debate. But the OP was arguing for a complete departure from an option based scheme. Pick whichever you like, but abandoning the option is not in our best interest.

    I'm not panicking and screaming for the return of the flex, though I'd welcome it.
    But the people panicking and screaming for us to copy App state, GaSt and the rest need to take a chill pill. Calm down... THIS season ain't over yet.
    We're still in this thing.

  10. #340

    Default Re: Option Offense

    Quote Originally Posted by GIEAGLE View Post
    And in 1994 we were in the same boat we are now with a 1 dimensional offensive scheme. We lost to a division 2 football team because our offensive coordinator, Coach Mike Hodges, did not put enough emphasis on how important it was to be able to execute a pass game against teams that brought everybody up to stop the run. Coach Stowers was ultimately responsible for what his OC had been doing and he ended up paying the price later on. We lost games in that era because our pass game wasn't sharp enough to win games against good defensive units.

    When Coach Paul Johnson took over in 1997 things changed.
    I actually meant to refer to 1996 (Ellwood). 1994 was the true all-time low point for an actual flex coach, and even then it was a .500+ season.

    Side note: Ellwood matched his career high win total during that throw-away season after being out of coaching for 18 years.
    Last edited by GATAlac El Dorado; 14th November 2019 at 08:01 AM.
    Ever devoted to the twin causes of reason and justice . . . ever at risk of waxing verbose

Similar Threads

  1. Triple Option Offense represented
    By gatadotcom in forum The Flight Line
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 2nd December 2014, 03:45 PM
  2. Time for a more evolved version of the option offense
    By EAGLEClassOf13 in forum The Flight Line
    Replies: 213
    Last Post: 18th January 2014, 07:25 PM
  3. Great Read On Option Offense
    By NWGaEagle in forum The Flight Line
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 15th September 2011, 08:54 PM
  4. Jamere Valentine on practice and the option offense
    By gsuradio in forum The Flight Line
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 26th March 2010, 06:10 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •