TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Debesse Offense - Year 3 and 4 - New Mexico

Default Re: Debesse Offense - Year 3 and 4 - New Mexico

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimojoe View Post
    Werts is the only reason we aren’t the worst offense of all time. We need an upgrade at OC big time.

so what offense, with our skill personnel, would be hugely successful with this OL?

2. Default Re: Debesse Offense - Year 3 and 4 - New Mexico

Without a doubt, the offensive line injuries have caused significant issues. But, you guys remember the other unusual factors from this season too, right? I mean, how are we going to unveil a lot of new wrinkles in our offense that have to do with fast motion and passing with the weather conditions that we’ve played in the past few weeks? The teams that we played that are noted to have good to very good passing attacks didn’t operate too well in those conditions yet you feel like we should have been opening up the offense? Also, Shai missed basically the first few games (I know only part of LSU).
    Our best running back, most explosive player, and fastest missed the first 4 games. Shai is beginning to pass more accurately like he did last season. Seems to me things are starting to fall into place as much as they can this season with all of the setbacks and challenges we encountered.

Quote Originally Posted by eagleeye View Post
    Without a doubt, the offensive line injuries have caused significant issues. But, you guys remember the other unusual factors from this season too, right? I mean, how are we going to unveil a lot of new wrinkles in our offense that have to do with fast motion and passing with the weather conditions that we’ve played in the past few weeks? The teams that we played that are noted to have good to very good passing attacks didn’t operate too well in those conditions yet you feel like we should have been opening up the offense? Also, Shai missed basically the first few games (I know only part of LSU).
    Our best running back, most explosive player, and fastest missed the first 4 games. Shai is beginning to pass more accurately like he did last season. Seems to me things are starting to fall into place as much as they can this season with all of the setbacks and challenges we encountered.
    +1, your last line is spot on, we are making the best with what we got.

4. Default Re: Debesse Offense - Year 3 and 4 - New Mexico

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimojoe View Post
    Werts is the only reason we aren’t the worst offense of all time. We need an upgrade at OC big time.
    Fake news.

IMO, this offense is designed to get big plays from the IZ. You're not looking to pound it for 3-5 yards a carry like on the flexbone's dive. You could clearly see the explosiveness against Maine and and NMSU. Now we can't realistically expect to have an OL good enough to push around the best SBC defensive fronts like we did those two teams, but with a OL line we had in 2014 and 2015 (which we could very well have next season) we could do it a lot more often against more fronts. Our big gains between the tackles have dropped off from last season and IMO has made it more difficult for the perimeter option game. That's not scheme or play-calling, that's personnel issues.

I have had my doubts that our OC is the biggest problem, and those doubts are growing as this season goes on.
    "Follow the trendlines, not the headlines." -Steven Pinker (?)

Regarding football Scheduling.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob View Post
    IMO, this offense is designed to get big plays from the IZ. You're not looking to pound it for 3-5 yards a carry like on the flexbone's dive. You could clearly see the explosiveness against Maine and and NMSU. Now we can't realistically expect to have an OL good enough to push around the best SBC defensive fronts like we did those two teams, but with a OL line we had in 2014 and 2015 (which we could very well have next season) we could do it a lot more often against more fronts. Our big gains between the tackles have dropped off from last season and IMO has made it more difficult for the perimeter option game. That's not scheme or play-calling, that's personnel issues.

I have had my doubts that our OC is the biggest problem, and those doubts are growing as this season goes on.
    I agree.

I also think we’d open things up more if we could pass more effectively. Option offenses need to take early-down shot when they’re available, but you can’t afford to do that with a 25-35% chance of getting sacked or turning the ball over.
    Last edited by pete4256; 19th November 2019 at 10:32 AM.
    Thanks, Rastabot!
    www.247sports.com/porkchops

7. Default Re: Debesse Offense - Year 3 and 4 - New Mexico

This is basically where I'm at. I don't think the problem is with DeBesse and I do feel that the offense is getting more efficient as the season wears on. My thoughts:

1. OL is not up to par, either due to injury or experience. You really only get 2 tries to get a first down with our offense unless we have a guy that can pass well for our 3rd and longs. If OL gets blown up for 2 of 3 downs, suddenly your playbook disappears and you start running plays that are not optimal. It just dominoes from there.
    2. Weather has been fairly ridiculous compared to any other season
    3. This version of the TO has more potential be boring to watch than the flexbone. If it gets a W though, I don't care.
    4. Compared to Debesse's performance for the first 2 years at UNM, our average rushing yards per game is actually regressing. Statistically speaking, that screams OL issues to me.
    5. As we go to 2 steps forward and 1 step back, those step backs are brutal and annoying to watch. I trust the process though.

8. Default Re: Debesse Offense - Year 3 and 4 - New Mexico

I don’t know which coach is responsible for blocking, but we need someone else.

I have seen endless examples of half-assed blocking all over the place. Several times I have noticed the guy who was supposed to be cutting off a guy trying to get at the QB or pitch man just kind of stand there, maybe reach out and sort of tap the guy he is supposed to be knocking down on the shoulder as if to say “hello, sir.... would you kindly step aside for me? No??? Well, OK, I’ll just be standing over here..... Sure, just step right on by.”

I see extremely uninspired blocking continuously. As if guys don’t understand what they are supposed to do.

Good blocking is far too rare. Especially as dependent as we are on it.

9. Default Re: Debesse Offense - Year 3 and 4 - New Mexico

Quote Originally Posted by PowerEagle View Post
    Ok...so what's the issue here? Is it the OL performance as we all have speculated? Is Debesse being hamstrung by something else that is preventing the offense from being as effective?

Genuinely curious of your thoughts. I think we were all very excited when he was brought on, but the offense has been nothing to write home about.
    We are in year two. The o-line has gotten better but it's still the main issue. Shai has slowly become more comfortable. We don't consider it enough that he missed basically three games and dealt with something most of us will never understand. WK3 has showed what a difference maker he is. JDK15 is slowly becoming comfortable in this style of offense and recieving the pitch. If we get fortunate enough to make the conference championship this year, it will be a huge accomplishment. For what this team has gone through with off the field and the injuries, I think we've done pretty well.

10. Default Re: Debesse Offense - Year 3 and 4 - New Mexico

Quote Originally Posted by jcountry View Post
    I don’t know which coach is responsible for blocking, but we need someone else.

I have seen endless examples of half-assed blocking all over the place. Several times I have noticed the guy who was supposed to be cutting off a guy trying to get at the QB or pitch man just kind of stand there, maybe reach out and sort of tap the guy he is supposed to be knocking down on the shoulder as if to say “hello, sir.... would you kindly step aside for me? No??? Well, OK, I’ll just be standing over here..... Sure, just step right on by.”

I see extremely uninspired blocking continuously. As if guys don’t understand what they are supposed to do.

Good blocking is far too rare. Especially as dependent as we are on it.
    We talk about the same stuff on here constantly. The o-line has gotten better but they are still consistently to slow to get to their blocks. You can have the best coaches in the country but if talent isn't there, nothing's going to change. That's exactly what the problem was against Troy. The NG was so quick that he blew up the I/Z on the regular. Our athletes in the backfield will have to make more people miss rather than rely on excellent blocking.