TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 10 years ago today (yesterday maybe)

Default Re: 10 years ago today (yesterday maybe)

Quote Originally Posted by BullochHLN View Post
    So 10 years ago was one of the craziest moments I've had in 28 years of covering GA Southern. We shot the coaches show with Hatcher after the game. Then we were told by the media relations director to stay where we were as Sam Baker needed to talk with Hatcher downstairs alone. At the time there were much more rumors that Baker would be fired than Hatcher would be fired. While I was lugging the equipment up the hill after we were allowed to go I got a text saying Hatcher was fired, and a press conference would be held in the stadium press box. I remember asking Baker why exactly Hatcher was let go and out of the shadows comes our 6-8 president who says he wants to answer that question. He then says we should be able to recruit athletes who are smart and athletic at GA Southern, which shined a light on what we had all suspected which was Grube was pissed that some of the recruits Hatcher took a chance on flunked out or left the team which hurt our APR. That was one crazy night. I still think Hatcher is a good coach, but the change was good, and Monken got us back to where we were running an offense that had proven to be successful.
    I had to sit in the Bishop Building watching them as he filmed the coach's show, having just been told that he was going to be fired immediately after. That was super awkward.

So 10 years ago was one of the craziest moments I've had in 28 years of covering GA Southern. We shot the coaches show with Hatcher after the game. Then we were told by the media relations director to stay where we were as Sam Baker needed to talk with Hatcher downstairs alone. At the time there were much more rumors that Baker would be fired than Hatcher would be fired. While I was lugging the equipment up the hill after we were allowed to go I got a text saying Hatcher was fired, and a press conference would be held in the stadium press box. I remember asking Baker why exactly Hatcher was let go and out of the shadows comes our 6-8 president who says he wants to answer that question. He then says we should be able to recruit athletes who are smart and athletic at GA Southern, which shined a light on what we had all suspected which was Grube was pissed that some of the recruits Hatcher took a chance on flunked out or left the team which hurt our APR. That was one crazy night. I still think Hatcher is a good coach, but the change was good, and Monken got us back to where we were running an offense that had proven to be successful.
    My opinion of Grube has not changed over the years. He’s still a pos. IMO

3. Default Re: 10 years ago today (yesterday maybe)

Quote Originally Posted by Touchdown View Post
    I don't know, but the returning to the flex part sounds good to me.
    It's usually followed by an incredible winning %, multiple conference titles, and unprecedented post season results.
    Sounds good to me. I am starting to think the sole reason I finished my degree at Southern and became a fan was the ol flexbone offense and the fun we had in I-AA.

There've been good times since then, but nothing has come as close to being as much fun as back in the day.

4. Default Re: 10 years ago today (yesterday maybe)

Hatcher is I believe a genuinely nice man and a good football coach, but that offense wasn't easy to watch.

And the current offense is? Having set that noth8I hated more than seeing our QB going two for three on a possession, then punting on 4th and 7.

Quote Originally Posted by Not Roger Inman View Post
    And the current offense is? Having set that noth8I hated more than seeing our QB going two for three on a possession, then punting on 4th and 7.
    We had 400+ yards of offense last night, scored 33 points (31 on offense). lol

What I want to see is we need to be what App is right now. Multiple conference championships, 10+ win seasons yearly, winning our bowl games, finish the season in ranked in the AP and CFP.
    No longer eating crow for saying "The TO is gone get over it!!"

With TK at the helm I see us about where we are now. With a new AD that makes competent hires that have a high probability of being good ones with the talent in this state at our fingertips we have yet to take advantage of we could easily be the next Boise or UCF. We need another Fritz type hire down the road, a guy that can recruit, motivate and coach. Plenty of coaches with actual resumes of success in the FCS and or as an actual play callers in the OC ranks to choose from.

In 2009 UCF was just an average at best fifth year CUSA team after being a horrible MAC team The last two years they are 25-1 and were capable of beating ANY team in the country. I have no doubt they beat LSU with their starting QB in that one loss.
    Dirk E. Sanchez, Overyonder, GA 2001

Quote Originally Posted by half-n-half View Post
    you missed JDC's point.

8. Default Re: 10 years ago today (yesterday maybe)

They have lost 3 games this year I believe, and no one even talks about them anymore. They also beat the great willie quitz yesterday in the road.

Quote Originally Posted by bplanken View Post
    They have lost 3 games this year I believe, and no one even talks about them anymore. They also beat the great willie quitz yesterday in the road.
    You would quit your job for a 300-500K minimum pay raise as well. He turned around the worst or top five worst college football programs of the last two decades. They have not had back to back bowl eligible seasons since 79-80. As far as UCF they are still light years ahead of us and where they were 10 years ago which was the point..... The AAC is a better conference than the ACC now. Tulsa is the only head scratching loss others are to ranked or solid P5.
    Dirk E. Sanchez, Overyonder, GA 2001

Quote Originally Posted by half-n-half View Post
    you missed JDC's point.

10. Default Re: 10 years ago today (yesterday maybe)

Chad is trying to turn around GS from one of its lowest times. But people like you give zero credit when good things happen, just speak your mind when things are going well, or they don’t do it they way you want.