TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 18 of 42 FirstFirst ... 1617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: Realistic Bowl Selection

1. Default Re: Realistic Bowl Selection

So, we're going to the Cure Bowl is what Ben is saying? Three things you can count on: Death, Taxes and Ben Moore being wrong.

Default Re: Realistic Bowl Selection

Quote Originally Posted by TrueBlueDrew View Post
    From our very good friend Ben Moore:

If the Cure Bowl takes anyone other than Arkansas State I'll be shocked. I've heard from GSU people that it will most likely be an Alabama bowl but nothing is finalized until this weekend. These bowls are basically set up this week because travel plans will need to be firmed for the teams.
    Elliott has been very vocal about how critical the next two weekends being important for official visits. GSU only has a few spots left in the class so the next 15 days are important to lock the class in.
    To clarify - Elliott was telling the hosts that if GSU gets the invite to Arizona then he wanted them to join them out there. Hugh came to the App State-GSU game and was on the field pregame.

Louisiana has struggled mightily with home fan support. Don't be shocked if they get sent to an Alabama bowl and don't travel very well there.
    Guys who would know (like Brett McMurphy) have said for weeks that GS is most likely headed to Tuscon. Something to watch.
    Like it or not - GSU beating Tennessee and even Army is a major deal to some of these bowl selection committees and why I believe the Panthers are a very attractive choice to several of these bowls.
    If the Red Wolves don't head to Orlando they may head to Tuscon.”
    I've heard from GSU people that it will most likely be an Alabama bowl
    -People on your Twitter feed? You don't have "people" Ben.

Louisiana has struggled mightily with home fan support. Don't be shocked if they get sent to an Alabama bowl and don't travel very well there.
    -Well yeah, they're going to Mobile unless they beat App. This is known.

Guys who would know (like Brett McMurphy) have said for weeks that GS is most likely headed to Tuscon. Something to watch.
    -McMurphy knows as much as the next talking head making predictions. Arizona isn't in the picture for Southern.

Like it or not - GSU beating Tennessee and even Army is a major deal to some of these bowl selection committees and why I believe the Panthers are a very attractive choice to several of these bowls.
    -Is it? Call me crazy, but I thought bowls wanted teams based on fan support and records? Guess not.

If the Red Wolves don't head to Orlando they may head to Tuscon.
    -I thought "guys who would know" said we were going to Tucson? Why would stAte even be in the mix then?

Quote Originally Posted by kdarnell233 View Post
    I agree. It's hard to gauge any of their stats given their schedule. They had 3 FBS wins, and 2 of those were against the same team.
    5 FBS wins?
    Sincerely,
    Irwin M. Fletcher

P.S.: Have a nice day!

4. Default Re: Realistic Bowl Selection

Quote Originally Posted by kdarnell233 View Post
    I've heard from GSU people that it will most likely be an Alabama bowl
    -People on your Twitter feed? You don't have "people" Ben.

-Well yeah, they're going to Mobile unless they beat App. This is known.

-McMurphy knows as much as the next talking head making predictions. Arizona isn't in the picture for Southern.

-Is it? Call me crazy, but I thought bowls wanted teams based on fan support and records? Guess not.

If the Red Wolves don't head to Orlando they may head to Tuscon.
    -I thought "guys who would know" said we were going to Tucson? Why would stAte even be in the mix then?
    Several? You mean the 3 bowls left after the 2 division winner are sorted out? And, no, beating a 5-7 Army team is not the big deal he thinks it is.

And for the record, his "sources" is the SID at Georgia State. He is a poseur plain and simple.

Ben Moore can go straight to...

the desert.

well...we all know he won't go anywhere really
    Once poked Chad Lunsford in the eye.

Ben Moore also said that since Georgia Southern’s attendance is last in the Sun Belt this year we are going to be less appealing to bowls than Georgia State because a certain percentage of attendance can be expected to go to a bowl game. I think he truly believes one of two things that are both not true. He either believes that what they are reporting as attendance are actually people showing up or that bowl officials aren’t smart enough to realize that those numbers are nowhere close to the actual attendance. I really don’t know why I read what he says because even though I know he’s full of it, it still gets me so frustrated.

Quote Originally Posted by studenteagle View Post
    Ben Moore also said that since Georgia Southern’s attendance is last in the Sun Belt this year we are going to be less appealing to bowls than Georgia State because a certain percentage of attendance can be expected to go to a bowl game. I think he truly believes one of two things that are both not true. He either believes that what they are reporting as attendance are actually people showing up or that bowl officials aren’t smart enough to realize that those numbers are nowhere close to the actual attendance. I really don’t know why I read what he says because even though I know he’s full of it, it still gets me so frustrated.
    That last sentence is how I am too. He can't seriously believe that a bowl committee would rather have State than Southern just because it says on paper that they had better attendance.

These people actually go to games, they don't look at paper.

8. Default Re: Realistic Bowl Selection

Quote Originally Posted by GATAlac El Dorado View Post
    5 FBS wins?
    Yes (against 4 teams).

9. Default Re: Realistic Bowl Selection

Quote Originally Posted by studenteagle View Post
    But, does a bowl committee care more about actual attendance or actual tickets sold? I don’t know, I’m just saying that State could probably “prove” that they sold all the empty seats they claimed as attendance throughout the season.

Quote Originally Posted by EAGLEMAN View Post
    But, does a bowl committee care more about actual attendance or actual tickets sold? I don’t know, I’m just saying that State could probably “prove” that they sold all the empty seats they claimed as attendance throughout the season.
    The people on the bowl committees attend the games of potential teams to gauge atmosphere and attendance.

The Cure Bowl representative was at Turner Field on the 22nd when they played South Alabama to the tune of 200 people. They were in Statesboro a week later to watch us play State. Which do you think they were more impressed by? The atmosphere and attendance we brought, or the morgue that is Turner Field?