Page 19 of 44 FirstFirst ... 1718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: Realistic Bowl Selection

Default Re: Realistic Bowl Selection

Ben Moore can go straight to...

the desert.

well...we all know he won't go anywhere really
    Once poked Chad Lunsford in the eye.

Ben Moore also said that since Georgia Southern’s attendance is last in the Sun Belt this year we are going to be less appealing to bowls than Georgia State because a certain percentage of attendance can be expected to go to a bowl game. I think he truly believes one of two things that are both not true. He either believes that what they are reporting as attendance are actually people showing up or that bowl officials aren’t smart enough to realize that those numbers are nowhere close to the actual attendance. I really don’t know why I read what he says because even though I know he’s full of it, it still gets me so frustrated.

Quote Originally Posted by studenteagle View Post
    Ben Moore also said that since Georgia Southern’s attendance is last in the Sun Belt this year we are going to be less appealing to bowls than Georgia State because a certain percentage of attendance can be expected to go to a bowl game. I think he truly believes one of two things that are both not true. He either believes that what they are reporting as attendance are actually people showing up or that bowl officials aren’t smart enough to realize that those numbers are nowhere close to the actual attendance. I really don’t know why I read what he says because even though I know he’s full of it, it still gets me so frustrated.
    That last sentence is how I am too. He can't seriously believe that a bowl committee would rather have State than Southern just because it says on paper that they had better attendance.

These people actually go to games, they don't look at paper.

4. Default Re: Realistic Bowl Selection

Quote Originally Posted by GATAlac El Dorado View Post
    5 FBS wins?
    Yes (against 4 teams).

5. Default Re: Realistic Bowl Selection

Quote Originally Posted by studenteagle View Post
    But, does a bowl committee care more about actual attendance or actual tickets sold? I don’t know, I’m just saying that State could probably “prove” that they sold all the empty seats they claimed as attendance throughout the season.

Quote Originally Posted by EAGLEMAN View Post
    But, does a bowl committee care more about actual attendance or actual tickets sold? I don’t know, I’m just saying that State could probably “prove” that they sold all the empty seats they claimed as attendance throughout the season.
    The people on the bowl committees attend the games of potential teams to gauge atmosphere and attendance.

The Cure Bowl representative was at Turner Field on the 22nd when they played South Alabama to the tune of 200 people. They were in Statesboro a week later to watch us play State. Which do you think they were more impressed by? The atmosphere and attendance we brought, or the morgue that is Turner Field?

I don’t know but would imagine the Bowl is more interested in having a good crowd versus actual tickets sold by the schools. If I understand this correctly each school has to guy a minimum number of tickets regardless of which schools are in the bowl game. The school then has to sell the tickets and hope to break even. I would think the bowl wants people to be in the seats. First from their local sales of tickets (not given to the teams), for atmosphere (more butts in the seats means more energy) and to look good on TV for their sponsors. They also want a good game/matchup. Although I admire his grit in playing with an ACL injury, Ellington's injury will limit Gag's offensive ability and could make the game one-sided.

Our history in the previous two bowls of tickets sold and how many actually showed up should be good indicators of what they can expect. If Gag state could not get more than 75 people to drive 3 ˝ hours to see their team play their in-state rivals then how could they realistically expect thousands to drive to Montgomery or Orlando? I wonder how many Gag State fans attended their previous two bowl games (a possible predictor of what to expect)?

5 FBS wins?
    Yes (against 4 teams).
    Right. He’d said 3. Which wouldn’t have made them bowl eligible.
    Ever devoted to the twin causes of reason and justice . . . ever at risk of waxing verbose

Right. He’d said 3. Which wouldn’t have made them bowl eligible.
    Whoops, my mistake

Quote Originally Posted by kdarnell233 View Post
    Whoops, my mistake
    Made me look it up . . . I was like “that can’t be right”.
    Ever devoted to the twin causes of reason and justice . . . ever at risk of waxing verbose