TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on
     
Page 9 of 41 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 410

Thread: Realistic Bowl Selection

  1. #81

    Default Re: Realistic Bowl Selection

    Talons mum!

  2. #82

    Default Re: Realistic Bowl Selection

    Quote Originally Posted by Klak View Post
    Bowl opponents don't matter. Let's take a quiz.

    1) Name at least 2 of the 4 teams that App has beaten in their bowl games.

    2) The AAC went 2-5 in 2018 bowls with one of those wins over an ACC team. What AAC team picked up that P5 win?

    3) UAB was the feel-good story of the year in 2018 and went 11-3 with a bowl win. What conference was their opponent from?

    I'll be shocked if anyone can answer these. It's not that App's bowl wins don't matter (they do) or that the AAC win over the ACC team (hint: Wake Forest) was meaningless, or that UAB's bowl win meant more because their opponent was in their conference's title game (it doesn't). It's just the simple fact that these are exhibition games against average+ opponents. Just get a win.

    And before the FCS die-hards jump in, I bet you can't name our 2000 Quarterfinal opponent either. All you remember is that we won.
    Yes. And I'd add if we play a good bowl opponent and lose a close game all off-season you'll hear is "ick 7-6 I just can't get excited about the season" but if you win the bowl game and finish 8-5 no one (other than a few who need straws to grasp at to criticize the coaching staff) is going to say "but we could've easily been 7-6 if w got a real bowl opponent".
    "Follow the trendlines, not the headlines." -Steven Pinker (?)

    Regarding football Scheduling.

  3. Default Re: Realistic Bowl Selection

    Quote Originally Posted by Klak View Post
    Bowl opponents don't matter. Let's take a quiz.

    1) Name at least 2 of the 4 teams that App has beaten in their bowl games.

    2) The AAC went 2-5 in 2018 bowls with one of those wins over an ACC team. What AAC team picked up that P5 win?

    3) UAB was the feel-good story of the year in 2018 and went 11-3 with a bowl win. What conference was their opponent from?

    I'll be shocked if anyone can answer these. It's not that App's bowl wins don't matter (they do) or that the AAC win over the ACC team (hint: Wake Forest) was meaningless, or that UAB's bowl win meant more because their opponent was in their conference's title game (it doesn't). It's just the simple fact that these are exhibition games against average+ opponents. Just get a win.

    And before the FCS die-hards jump in, I bet you can't name our 2000 Quarterfinal opponent either. All you remember is that we won.
    Valid points. I just want to see us go out and earn more respect. I agree, an unblemished bowl record will go a long way for our reputation.

    But, here is an example of how I see it... Boise and App could very well both be 12-1 next week and IMO Boise will be ranked ahead of App by the committee 9 times out 10 in that situation (putting them in a better position for access bowl) partially due to their reputation of beating teams like TCU, Oregon and Oklahoma in bowl games, while App beats the Toledo’s. I understand we don’t have the bowl tie-ins that the WAC does, but we have to take advantage when we can. JMHO

  4. Default Re: Realistic Bowl Selection

    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob View Post
    Yes. And I'd add if we play a good bowl opponent and lose a close game all off-season you'll hear is "ick 7-6 I just can't get excited about the season" but if you win the bowl game and finish 8-5 no one (other than a few who need straws to grasp at to criticize the coaching staff) is going to say "but we could've easily been 7-6 if w got a real bowl opponent".
    The program would have all off season to get the fan base excited about the up-coming season, my concern is how long before the fan base says “ick, I just can’t get excited about the bowl game,” when it is another 6-7 win directional Michigan team in Alabama.

  5. #85

    Default Re: Realistic Bowl Selection

    Quote Originally Posted by Klak View Post
    Bowl opponents don't matter. Let's take a quiz.

    1) Name at least 2 of the 4 teams that App has beaten in their bowl games.

    2) The AAC went 2-5 in 2018 bowls with one of those wins over an ACC team. What AAC team picked up that P5 win?

    3) UAB was the feel-good story of the year in 2018 and went 11-3 with a bowl win. What conference was their opponent from?

    I'll be shocked if anyone can answer these. It's not that App's bowl wins don't matter (they do) or that the AAC win over the ACC team (hint: Wake Forest) was meaningless, or that UAB's bowl win meant more because their opponent was in their conference's title game (it doesn't). It's just the simple fact that these are exhibition games against average+ opponents. Just get a win.

    And before the FCS die-hards jump in, I bet you can't name our 2000 Quarterfinal opponent either. All you remember is that we won.
    Everybody knows that was Rocky Butler and Hofstra. Jeez.
    Thanks, Rastabot!
    www.247sports.com/porkchops

  6. Default Re: Realistic Bowl Selection

    Quote Originally Posted by pete4256 View Post
    Everybody knows that was Rocky Butler and Hofstra. Jeez.
    I meant NORMAL people wouldn’t know.

  7. #87
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Warner Robins, GA
    Posts
    28,274

    Default Re: Realistic Bowl Selection

    Quote Originally Posted by EAGLEMAN View Post
    Valid points. I just want to see us go out and earn more respect. I agree, an unblemished bowl record will go a long way for our reputation.

    But, here is an example of how I see it... Boise and App could very well both be 12-1 next week and IMO Boise will be ranked ahead of App by the committee 9 times out 10 in that situation (putting them in a better position for access bowl) partially due to their reputation of beating teams like TCU, Oregon and Oklahoma in bowl games, while App beats the Toledo’s. I understand we don’t have the bowl tie-ins that the WAC does, but we have to take advantage when we can. JMHO
    Which happened because they went undefeated in the regular season and got placed in those matchups.

    The Oregon game was a home game for Boise that they won.

    When provided those matchups you have to make the best of them. Our bowl tie-ins are not where you're gonna get those matchups. Get your sacrificial lamb, win your game, put the trophy in the case.

    Next year we can go undefeated over an Ole Miss team with a first year HC, beating Boise along the way, and have a good resume when it comes time for Access Bowl consideration. THEN we get the marquee matchup in the bowl.


  8. #88

    Default Re: Realistic Bowl Selection

    Quote Originally Posted by Klak View Post
    I meant NORMAL people wouldn’t know.
    Normal people? I could have sworn you said “FCS die-hards.”
    Thanks, Rastabot!
    www.247sports.com/porkchops

  9. #89

    Default Re: Realistic Bowl Selection

    Quote Originally Posted by Klak View Post
    And before the FCS die-hards jump in, I bet you can't name our 2000 Quarterfinal opponent either. All you remember is that we won.
    Taking a shot here..... Hofstra?

  10. #90

    Default Re: Realistic Bowl Selection

    Big time win over a program that dripped football.

Similar Threads

  1. Realistic shot at a postseason?
    By GSUALLDAY25 in forum The Flight Line
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 25th February 2017, 02:47 PM
  2. Realistic Expectations for 2014 Season
    By kdarnell233 in forum The Flight Line
    Replies: 342
    Last Post: 24th January 2014, 08:27 PM
  3. What is a realistic goal for our basketball program?
    By Eaglebacker in forum The Flight Line
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: 2nd April 2009, 10:46 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •