TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: For the CCL skeptics...

Default Re: For the CCL skeptics...

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob View Post
    Sloan has basically said that the safeties are the quarterbacks of this defensive scheme and have the most responsibilities. I have hope that with more guys that have practiced and played multiple years under this defensive staff that that position will be better. Duncan seems to be playing the position quite well and I think Treun Pace, Java'n Singletary, and Reid Dedman are all promising.
    We’ll be fine going forward at safety. Rutledge did a nice job once he got the reps. Hopefully, Treun Pace is ready to take over there in 2020, or maybe Singletary moves over.

Baker is a really good athlete, and maybe he’ll tighten it up in 2020. He’s made some big plays for us.
    Thanks, Rastabot!
    www.247sports.com/porkchops

Quote Originally Posted by pete4256 View Post
    We’ll be fine going forward at safety. Rutledge did a nice job once he got the reps. Hopefully, Treun Pace is ready to take over there in 2020, or maybe Singletary moves over.

Baker is a really good athlete, and maybe he’ll tighten it up in 2020. He’s made some big plays for us.
    Has Pace been hurt most of this season? Kind of thought he'd play in more games than he did.
    "Follow the trendlines, not the headlines." -Steven Pinker (?)

Regarding football Scheduling.

Has Pace been hurt most of this season? Kind of thought he'd play in more games than he did.
    Yeah, me too. I assumed they were gonna redshirt him when he wasn’t on the two-deep, but they didn’t. He played mostly on special teams, I think.
    Thanks, Rastabot!
    www.247sports.com/porkchops

4. Default Re: For the CCL skeptics...

With all due respect, I think some of yall's glasses are little too blue. To think 7-5 isn't acceptable needs a reality check. With the football coaching world filled with high dollar buyouts and/or long contracts that require years of installments, we don't have the budget to routinely fire coaches that don't win 8+ games a year. I think only about 25% of all FBS teams actually win more than 7 games in any given year, which means it's hard to do. "We're Georgia Southern and we're supposed to win" is a good attitude to have, but we're not a big fish in a small pond anymore. In fact, 90% of the FBS world doesn't know or care to know who we are. We need the stability, and the fact that we're going bowling given the hard schedule we've had and the adversity we've faced off the field, I'm content with this season. It's been frustrating but the improvements are obvious, at least to me. What I'm not content with is how much this forum has degraded over the years, hence why I don't post much. Anyway, next season should be a good one!

Quote Originally Posted by StingingEagle View Post
    With all due respect, I think some of yall's glasses are little too blue. To think 7-5 isn't acceptable needs a reality check. With the football coaching world filled with high dollar buyouts and/or long contracts that require years of installments, we don't have the budget to routinely fire coaches that don't win 8+ games a year. I think only about 25% of all FBS teams actually win more than 7 games in any given year, which means it's hard to do. "We're Georgia Southern and we're supposed to win" is a good attitude to have, but we're not a big fish in a small pond anymore. In fact, 90% of the FBS world doesn't know or care to know who we are. We need the stability, and the fact that we're going bowling given the hard schedule we've had and the adversity we've faced off the field, I'm content with this season. It's been frustrating but the improvements are obvious, at least to me. What I'm not content with is how much this forum has degraded over the years, hence why I don't post much. Anyway, next season should be a good one!
    This forum has degraded at times because folks like yourself withdraw from challenging the negative nancys who permeate and bloviate obsessively about things they can't control and in many cases don't understand. I don't mean directly confronting, but doing exactly what you did above ... present a valid, cogent and responsible presentation that has context and is factually based.

Not putting pressure on you specifically to post more (I'm guilty myself of not being present and more vocal the last few years), but that is part of why this forum has tended to swing across that pendulum. 2016 and 2017 sure didn't help either.

With all due respect
    “Gentlemen, we will chase perfection, and we will chase it relentlessly, knowing all the while we can never attain it. But along the way, we shall catch excellence.” ― Vince Lombardi Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by StingingEagle View Post
    I think only about 25% of all FBS teams actually win more than 7 games in any given year, which means it's hard to do.
    You're wrong. From my quick count, 63 teams won 7 or more regular season games this year. That's nearly half of FBS.

EDIT: I see you said "more than" so you may be correct.

EDIT No. 2: My quick count has 42 teams winning 8 or more regular season games, which is about one-third of FBS.
    Last edited by GaSouFan6; 2nd December 2019 at 05:39 PM.

Use of the word "excuses" is just a lazy way to dismiss the challenges a team rather than looking at them critically and intelligently.

If you can find a team in a comparable situation fine, but saying "everyone has injuries" doesn't make our situation equivalent to everyone else. How many Georgia Southern football teams have the cumulative lost starts by the starting 5 from preseason. I won't hold my breath waiting for any of the coaching staff critics to find a comparable example. The closest analogue would be 2013 (what a coincidence, another season where people were questioning the coaches and we had a season with high highs and low lows) but at least the OL mostly stayed healthy that season and we had decent B-backs to take over without Swope.

That's not to say there haven't been some games where the coaches could've done a better job. But I saw several games from Fritz that we were clearly not prepared for and he came here with 2 decades of HC experience and CCL has been a HC 2 years. And you just can't compare Fritz taking over with the roster he had and CCL taking over after Summers' incompetence on top of coaching turnover.
    Honestly this post for me does it. Totally reasonable and puts to rest for me most of the seasons follies. Doesn't take away the pain of seeing our defense make mediocre offenses look like world beaters at times. Hopefully we want face the likes of Bowling Green in our bowl game. Yikes! Took an amazing amount of talent to overcome our pass defense. And I mean that seriously.

8. Default Re: For the CCL skeptics...

Not too far off then

Quote Originally Posted by GaSouFan6 View Post
    You're wrong. From my quick count, 63 teams won 7 or more regular season games this year. That's nearly half of FBS.

EDIT No. 2: My quick count has 42 teams winning 8 or more regular season games, which is about one-third of FBS.

Quote Originally Posted by GaSouFan6 View Post

And for comparison to our peers, only 18/60 G5 teams won more than 7 games, with the average number of wins among them being 9.

10. Default Re: For the CCL skeptics...

My problem is if I hang around too long I'll end up posting something just as idiotic any other random post.. My sense of self discipline is not keeping up with how rapidly I age..

Quote Originally Posted by Eagle22 View Post
    This forum has degraded at times because folks like yourself withdraw from challenging the negative nancys who permeate and bloviate obsessively about things they can't control and in many cases don't understand. I don't mean directly confronting, but doing exactly what you did above ... present a valid, cogent and responsible presentation that has context and is factually based.

Not putting pressure on you specifically to post more (I'm guilty myself of not being present and more vocal the last few years), but that is part of why this forum has tended to swing across that pendulum. 2016 and 2017 sure didn't help either.

With all due respect