TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: We don't have to like the results to understand them

Default Re: We don't have to like the results to understand them

Memphis averaged a little over 41 points a game, what did we average?(serious question)

2. Default Re: We don't have to like the results to understand them

https://gatadb.com/seasons/2019/

Not gonna cut it.

I hope y’all are right about DeBeese. I liked him well enough last season, but this year, playcalling seems to have taken a step back.

As others have mentioned, with poor blocking, no offense will work.

Probably CDB is doing the best he can with what he sees. My main complaint is all the “feeling out” of a defense. That is just nonsense. Especially when other teams see it coming. I don’t think we scored a TD on any of those drives, and maybe only a FG on a couple-all season.

I hate seeing the first drive always wasted like that. And up until game 6, it was always with the exact same plays-in the same order.

I’ll never understand that logic.

Quote Originally Posted by EaglesFlyFBS View Post
    Kinda changing the subject. CBD is a great guy with all the mojo to make an amazing head coach not to mention OC.

No need to share your opinion I'm right.

Next year will be fascinating to see how he and CCL deal with this situation.

Both have the confidence but can they together get this train on the tracks?

CCL was clear about lacking offensive identity early in the season. Doubt he's changed his mind.

Can't wait to see what happens!

My bold prediction. We see two QBs next year both getting significant time. We improve significantly.
    That makes me happy for CBD. I hope he gets that opportunity as early as next week.
    Poster formerly known as gudp1

Of course we need to shore up the obvious deficiancies everyone has pointed out. I also think we could greatly increase our offensive production by increasing our pass/run ratios to something closer to 60% pass, 40% run. The problem with that is finding a QB that can pass well enough willing to run and get hit a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by jcountry View Post

Not gonna cut it.

I hope y’all are right about DeBeese. I liked him well enough last season, but this year, playcalling seems to have taken a step back.

Probably CDB is doing the best he can with what he sees. My main complaint is all the “feeling out” of a defense. That is just nonsense. Especially when other teams see it coming. I don’t think we scored a TD on any of those drives, and maybe only a FG on a couple-all season.

I hate seeing the first drive always wasted like that. And up until game 6, it was always with the exact same plays-in the same order.

next year get it up by 7. 35 a game would be huge and IMO, very acceptable.

6. Default Re: We don't have to like the results to understand them

Quote Originally Posted by garns 4 View Post
    next year get it up by 7. 35 a game would be huge and IMO, very acceptable.
    Definitely.

We would be at 10 wins again.

Fix our blocking, and we got a shot at that.

IDK what steps are being taken concerning our blocking, but we need to me ON that.

Quote Originally Posted by jcountry View Post

Not gonna cut it.

I get frustrated with the "feeling out the defense" as well, but I remind myself that even with these basic plays to feel out how the defense is going to play us, we should still be good enough to have some success. Maybe not touchdowns every first drive, but we should be good enough to move the ball. We just are not good enough at blocking to have that success.

Quote Originally Posted by gsufan11 View Post
    Of course we need to shore up the obvious deficiancies everyone has pointed out. I also think we could greatly increase our offensive production by increasing our pass/run ratios to something closer to 60% pass, 40% run. The problem with that is finding a QB that can pass well enough willing to run and get hit a lot.
    Lol have you even Georgia Southerned? You think the fans are rioting now.. MAYBE if we win every game that way... First loss much less multiple eagle nation will be chaotic

Also agree...the feeling out the defense is nonsense and maybe a deflection.. can any stat gurus get stats on new Mexico's opening drives while he was there? We should be doing our best every drive to score points.. regardless the situation. No other coach in the nation has openly said they play the first series to see what the defense is throwing out... This ain't the 80s anymore... When almost every game is televised... You have the tape. Play accordingly and make the adjustments play to play. Not series to series.

I looked at UNM under Debesse's offense in years 3-5. Here's how they did on opening drives:

2014: 2 TD's, 3 5 play drives, 1 6 play drive, 1 8 play drive, 1 7 play drive, 1 4 play drive, 2 3 & outs, 1 turnover
    2015: 6 TD's, 1 9 play drive, 1 6 play drive, 4 3 & outs, 1 turnover(note that after all 4 3 & outs, they followed up with a score on the next drive).
    2016: 9 TD's, 1 3 & out, 1 10 play drive, 2 4 play drives

Unfortunately, they didn't really get it going until year 4, but man, what I would do to see that kind of success. Part of me says we're just going to have to be patient and let him get his guys in here. We really need to see some improvement next season though.