TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: We don't have to like the results to understand them

Default We don't have to like the results to understand them

We can still not be happy with the results of 2019 while at the same time be understanding of the things that played into those results. When the season started, I said we would be most likely be 7-5 (or maybe 8-4 if we stole one we shouldn't have) in the regular season. Many on here said the exact same thing. Low and behold, after all of the good and bad of the season came to an end, guess where we were. I'm not saying that to seem like I'm some Nostradomas. I'm saying that to mean that when you look at the season as a whole, it went just about how a lot of us thought it would. Why is it so terrible now that we went 7-5 in the regular season when it was expected in the summer? Why are we talking about heads rolling and firing coaches when the results are what many that looked at it with a realistic view expected them to be? We complain about consistency in coaching, and why can't we keep coaches from leaving with one side of our mouths, while at the same time complaining and *****ing about the coaches we have and wanting them to be fired with the other side. How do we ever achieve consistency if we want our OC fired after year two, even though he is the first one to actually get to year two since 2015? How do we expect to have players gain experience and understand how to play within a system when they are learning a new one every year? How do we expect to attract great coaches when we fire everyone at the first sign of anything that even resembles a concern. We make fun of Appy fans who don't understand just how great they have had it to have the consistency of having just two coaches in 30 years, while at the same time wanting ours either to be fired or to make major changes to his staff in year two.

Here are just a few of the things that played major roles in our being 7-5 this year; very few of which have anything to do with coaching: three season ending injures on the OL plus several other key players that missed significant time, playing two P5 teams in the same year, 5 of our toughest opponents were all on the road, a roster that was depleted and had recruiting issues due to going 7-17 two years before, arguably the most explosive offensive player on the team missed 4 games, our starting QB missed two and a half games to injury and wasn't fully healed for another game or two after he returned, one of our starting RB's missed 6-7 games (can't remember the exact number) due to a neck injury, the team had to deal with the devastating loss of a teammate and a friend to suicide during the season, and Shai had to deal with the BS of being arrested and potentially spending a significant amount of time in jail for something that he didn't do. That's only a few things that I could think of off the top of my head.

I'm not saying that coaching was perfect and that they don't have a lot that can be improved. I'm also not saying that play calling isn't suspect and can't be improved. I'm simply saying that there is a lot that goes into an entire season and it's sometimes not just about wins and losses. I absolutely hate being 7-6 and watching Appy get all of the accolades that we should be getting. I absolutely expect our program to be better than what we are right now. But I also absolutely think that throwing the baby out with the bath water is a fanatical overreaction by many that have no real idea what it takes to run an offense, or run a defense, or coach a team, or build a program.

Now by all means, go back to your whining and complaining and request for people to be fired.......
    Anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice. Ammo is cheap. Life is expensive

2. Default Re: We don't have to like the results to understand them

I believe how we got to 7 wins is the main concern for many... we should have beaten StAte & Minnesota and CCU, USA & Maine should never have been that close. IMO anticipating 7 wins and than ending up with 7 wins doesnít make it any less tolerable, that just means many didnít completely buy into the team/staff before the season even started (with a 3rd year QB, P5 RB transfer and NFL CBís & K following a 10-win season) and ultimately that thought was validated.

Default Re: We don't have to like the results to understand them

Quote Originally Posted by EAGLEMAN View Post
    I believe how we got to 7 wins is the main concern for many... we should have beaten StAte & Minnesota and CCU, USA & Maine should never have been that close. IMO anticipating 7 wins and than ending up with 7 wins doesn’t make it any less tolerable, that just means many didn’t completely buy into the team/staff before the season even started (with a 3rd year QB, P5 RB transfer and NFL CB’s & K following a 10-win season) and ultimately that thought was validated.
    No, it means that many understood that the 10 win season the year before was made up of a lot of smoke and mirrors, and a historically exceptional turnover margin that was not sustainable. After what happened to us in 2016 and 2017 we were not truly a "10 win" team in 2018. We were a 7-8 win team that found a way to pull 10 wins out of our collective a$$e$.
    Anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice. Ammo is cheap. Life is expensive

Quote Originally Posted by EAGLEMAN View Post
    I believe how we got to 7 wins is the main concern for many... we should have beaten StAte & Minnesota and CCU, USA & Maine should never have been that close. IMO anticipating 7 wins and than ending up with 7 wins doesnít make it any less tolerable, that just means many didnít completely buy into the team/staff before the season even started (with a 3rd year QB, P5 RB transfer and NFL CBís & K following a 10-win season) and ultimately that thought was validated.
    Plus one. Our inability to play at a high level consistently is a big deal for me.

CL even talked about this after the App game and we still came out flat at Troy.

Everybody before the season started said this year could take a step back due to our offensive line and safeties. Iím not quite sure why people were already concerned about the offensive line and then act surprised things were so bad when we were literally running scout team players out during close games. Werts rushes for 15 touchdowns last year. Did he all the sudden forget how to run? Not likely.

Quote Originally Posted by EAGLEX2 View Post
    Plus one. Our inability to play at a high level consistently is a big deal for me.

CL even talked about this after the App game and we still came out flat at Troy.
    And you don't think that the majority of the issues that I mentioned didn't play a role in that lack of consistency?

7. Default Re: We don't have to like the results to understand them

Quote Originally Posted by KJ Eagle View Post
    No, it means that many understood that the 10 win season the year before was made up of a lot of smoke and mirrors, and a historically exceptional turnover margin that was not sustainable. After what happened to us in 2016 and 2017 we were not truly a "10 win" team in 2018. We were a 7-8 win team that found a way to pull 10 wins out of our collective a$$e$.
    Yeah, I donít deny that, because itís true, but even with the returning talent and a second year under this staff very few anticipated much improvement from Ď18 to Ď19, and they were right.

IMO that is a concern, yes our schedule was more difficult and we had injuries, but other than punting, I canít think of anything that we really improved on in their second year.

When you end a season with a walk-off FG against EMU in the middle of nowhere Alabama bowl with a 1st year HC, there is room for improvement and I didnít see much of it. Iím not advocating getting rid of the staff, Iím just saying I understand concerns out there... progress needs to be made.

Quote Originally Posted by KJ Eagle View Post
    And you don't think that the majority of the issues that I mentioned didn't play a role in that lack of consistency?
    Definitely did. The measure of a coaching staff is their ability or lack there of to prepare their team mentally/psychologically to play at a high level every game. Short week or long bye. Itís probably the toughest part of the job.

I've been on the fence for much of the season regarding coaching. Seeing an offense so one dimensional at times struggle to run the same play 80% of the time to the point of it being embarrassing to watch is different. With 9 opportunities 27 plays to achieve just 10 yards with two weeks to prepare is a resume killer. With a QB with little risk of throwing an interception yet you have nothing. An idiosyncrasy-ish first play of the game and for that matter first possession fail over and over and over. This is weird stuff man and without question has Eagle Nation scratching their collective heads. We may not understand whats going on in the coaches head but turd smells like turd. SOMN AINT RIGHT!

Let me add one thing. A QB that may be the most unlikely in the history of college football to throw an interception.
    Last edited by EaglesFlyFBS; 24th December 2019 at 01:27 PM.

This season looked a lot like a season where we won a game we might not should have and lost about 4 that we might not should have ....... For a season that turned out like it might not should have.......
    Poster formerly known as gudp1