TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 18 of 22 FirstFirst ... 1617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: Ideas for New AD.....

Default Re: Ideas for New AD.....

This is where someone with experience at a successful G5 or lower level P5 school would be beneficial - someone who has been around during these scheduling calls and can bring creative ideas to the table in regard to scheduling and many other aspects of running an FBS football program.

Quote Originally Posted by PowerEagle View Post
    This is where someone with experience at a successful G5 or lower level P5 school would be beneficial - someone who has been around during these scheduling calls and can bring creative ideas to the table in regard to scheduling and many other aspects of running an FBS football program.
    What I am more looking forward to is someone who has already made these connections and already made these schedules at other G5's or lower P5s that can use that experience and relationship to get further than a phone call. It's easier to get a game scheduled at GS if you have already worked with the other AD and scheduled games already in the past. That is the biggest reason that I want someone from the "outside" to get the job. I don't think they will have anything creative that we haven't already tried, but if they already have relationships that would, I assume, make it easier to get the deals done.

I still really don't care to sell our souls to get a P5 to Paulson. If it happens, great. If not, then I'm not going to lose any sleep because of it.
    Anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice. Ammo is cheap. Life is expensive

3. Default Re: Ideas for New AD.....

Quote Originally Posted by KJ Eagle View Post
    What I am more looking forward to is someone who has already made these connections and already made these schedules at other G5's or lower P5s that can use that experience and relationship to get further than a phone call. It's easier to get a game scheduled at GS if you have already worked with the other AD and scheduled games already in the past. That is the biggest reason that I want someone from the "outside" to get the job. I don't think they will have anything creative that we haven't already tried, but if they already have relationships that would, I assume, make it easier to get the deals done.

I still really don't care to sell our souls to get a P5 to Paulson. If it happens, great. If not, then I'm not going to lose any sleep because of it.
    You nailed it.

I think relationships are key to that job.

I also think that part is something TK was weak at.

He very much reminds me of a guy I knew who managed a municipal facility. The man was a gifted manager in terms of the bureaucratic stuff, and he made great strides in growing the operation and pitting it in better financial shape..... But he was NOT a people person. He especially pissed off all his employees. (I think Monken, Fritz and others have made it clear that TK can be difficult to work with/for.). TK reminds me so much of that guy.

There are things I liked about TK, but I definitely think we will be better off with someone else.

Someone who can bring positive existing relationships with them as you mention would be very helpful.

4. Default Re: Ideas for New AD.....

I agree with you here.

I want to see someone who could get some P5 or perhaps some more successful G5 teams play some on home series. Overall we need to act like a big boy in all sports.....that comes with playing tough schedules and winning, not just football. They will be an AD.
    Soaring on to the Sunbelt! GATA Eagles!

Quote Originally Posted by Raptor23 View Post
    I want to see someone who could get some P5 or perhaps some more successful G5 teams play some on home series. Overall we need to act like a big boy in all sports.....that comes with playing tough schedules and winning, not just football. They will be an AD.
    IMO it is more important THAT we win, instead of WHO we win against.
    Anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice. Ammo is cheap. Life is expensive

7. Default Re: Ideas for New AD.....

I have a question about 2-for-1 deals with P5's versus 1-1 deals with G5's. I know a common excuse for why we don't schedule 2-1's is that it doesn't make financial sense and we can't afford it even though we are the only Sun Belt school that doesn't schedule them. Our ideal out-of-conference structure is 1 money game, 2 G5 home-and-home games, and an FCS game.

My question is do we make money from scheduling home and homes with other G5 schools? If we don't, what's stopping us from scheduling our games such that the second away game against the P5 school that we wouldn't get paid for replaces one of our 2 G5 slots in the schedule that we also don't get paid for? That's what App is doing this coming season by playing a non-payday game at Wake Forest and a payday game at Wisconsin in the same season. What's the difference financially had App played a G5 team on the road instead of signing into a deal with Wake?

It just doesn't make sense that we are the only Sun Belt school that has this issue with these types of deals. ULM famously has the smallest budget and one of the smallest student bodies in the FBS and the restrictions the state of Louisiana puts on their schools charging athletic fees makes our 60% subsidy rule look like winning the lottery, yet they are able to afford to schedule 2-1's and still have enough money leftover to build new athletic facilities and pay for COA's to their student athletes.

I'm pretty sure we're not the only program to not do 2-1. Ark State doesn't do them, I don't think Troy has added one since we joined the conference, and App apparently hasn't done a true 2:1 either.

We can afford them, it's not worth making 2 unpaid trips when you have a small stadium capacity that limits what you can make from the game. And you're also scheduling 4 years down the road and have no idea if you'll have a down year.
    "Follow the trendlines, not the headlines." -Steven Pinker (?)

Regarding football Scheduling.

IMO it is more important THAT we win, instead of WHO we win against.
    Appy was ranked playing a weak schedule, their SOS was near 100 I believe. Playing better teams doesn't do us any good as we ended up 7-6 and they went 12-1.
    No longer eating crow for saying "The TO is gone get over it!!"

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob View Post
    I'm pretty sure we're not the only program to not do 2-1. Ark State doesn't do them, I don't think Troy has added one since we joined the conference, and App apparently hasn't done a true 2:1 either.

We can afford them, it's not worth making 2 unpaid trips when you have a small stadium capacity that limits what you can make from the game. And you're also scheduling 4 years down the road and have no idea if you'll have a down year.
    I agree. It also forces you to have two P5 $$ games in the same year in order to "afford" to not get paid by the first one. Both of which will more than likely be losses. It also means you are outnumbering your away games and not getting home games in return if you do multiples of them.