TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Radio....

1. Default Radio....

We have GOT to fix the radio situation.

During the offseason, we must get some kind of deals ironed out with some stations around Atlanta.

We have an OUTSTANDING game broadcast production. It’s a shame more people can’t hear it.

I’m still amazed that we somehow got to the point that we have zero stations carrying our games anywhere in the Atlanta area. I never would have imagined I would see the day.

Default Re: Radio....

Tunein radio picks up anywhere. Local radio is slowly dying like news print. Sad but true. We need to increase and improve our online presence by using YouTube and Social media platforms. I watched the coaches radio show on Facebook last night. Unfortunately, that’s where things are headed. Just my opinion.

3. Default Re: Radio....

Quote Originally Posted by leeman View Post
    Tunein radio picks up anywhere. Local radio is slowly dying like news print. Sad but true. We need to increase and improve our online presence by using YouTube and Social media platforms. I watched the coaches radio show on Facebook last night. Unfortunately, that’s where things are headed. Just my opinion.
    Terrestrial radio is still huge.

I know a lot of folks who don’t stream in their car or on their boat.

I agree that other sources are getting bigger..... But the idea of letting a market as big as (and with as many alums as) ATL just go without is crazy.

If we are gonna have a broadcast network, let’s have a broadcast network.

It takes sold ads, that's why there is little Atlanta presence.
    No longer eating crow for saying "The TO is gone get over it!!"

Quote Originally Posted by jcountry View Post
    Terrestrial radio is still huge.

I know a lot of folks who don’t stream in their car or on their boat.

I agree that other sources are getting bigger..... But the idea of letting a market as big as (and with as many alums as) ATL just go without is crazy.

If we are gonna have a broadcast network, let’s have a broadcast network.
    I get the feeling you're a relatively young dude (under 50).

I don't know anyone that listens to terrestrial radio.

With that said, we STILL need to get this thing figured out.
    People never grow up. They just learn how to act in public.

The artist formerly known as gsu_paintballer.

6. Default Re: Radio....

Quote Originally Posted by Dave. View Post
    I get the feeling you're a relatively young dude (under 50).

I don't know anyone that listens to terrestrial radio.

With that said, we STILL need to get this thing figured out.
    I think it really depends on location.

Most guys I know who at a dove field or out on a boat or in a deer stand will listen to a radio. It's just more convenient-plus data coverage really ain't great once you get out away from major roads.

IDK. I remember having more than a couple stations carrying us when I was a student-and we were playing much smaller teams back then.

I'm probably missing something, but dang. It's a shame to have such a great group of folks calling our games and not be able to hear them on the radio.

We have way more alums in the Atlanta area than we do in Statesboro and Savannah. You can get the radio broadcasts on multiple stations there.

There used to be some Atlanta stations but it was never on a good signal (since the late 1990s/early 2000s) and varied if you could get it or not. Trust me I know for a fact they struggled to sell ads (first hand knowledge). The social alumni group reached out to people to see if they could get their companies to buy ads or knew someone. And factor in internet and social media, it's really hard to sell radio ads these days. The sports talk I listen to literally has 5 minute commercial breaks every 15 minutes. Less ads and less people listening = longer commercial breaks.
    No longer eating crow for saying "The TO is gone get over it!!"

Quote Originally Posted by jcountry View Post
    I think it really depends on location.

Most guys I know who at a dove field or out on a boat or in a deer stand will listen to a radio. It's just more convenient-plus data coverage really ain't great once you get out away from major roads.
    the argument could be easily made that Atlanta isn't away from major roads.

this was an interesting read: https://www.digitalmusicnews.com/201...onomics-study/

it was mentioned in an earlier post, but terrestrial radio is going the way of newspapers. i'd rather see an increased focus on the media platforms that will dominate in the future. ask someone under 30 what their favorite podcast is and they'll quickly give an answer. ask the same person what their favorite FM radio station is and you'll probably be waiting a while for that answer, if they can even give one.

hail southern
    A fool uttereth all his mind: but a wise man keepeth it in till afterwards.
    Proverbs 29:11

9. Default Re: Radio....

Quote Originally Posted by southgeorgia View Post
    the argument could be easily made that Atlanta isn't away from major roads.

this was an interesting read: https://www.digitalmusicnews.com/201...onomics-study/

it was mentioned in an earlier post, but terrestrial radio is going the way of newspapers. i'd rather see an increased focus on the media platforms that will dominate in the future. ask someone under 30 what their favorite podcast is and they'll quickly give an answer. ask the same person what their favorite FM radio station is and you'll probably be waiting a while for that answer, if they can even give one.

hail southern
    It’s an interesting perspective....

But these prognosticators are often wrong. They tend toward bold statements in the extreme when the truth lies somewhere less extreme.

I remember the “paperless office” was absolutely guaranteed when the Commodore 64 came out. And then HOLY CRAP we had a 286 with a math coprocessor screaming all kinds of stuff which would be like light Sabers and laser beams from the future!! I remember a class we had at GS in the early 90s where we learned about this amazing thing called the internet. (At the time it was just green characters on a black screen. No audio or pics.). We were told that the post office would go out of business because people could send mail over this internet thing for free. We also had the publisher of the Statesboro Herald come talk to some class and we essentially told him that the internet would put print out of business.

Turns our, we were wrong

Radio is in the middle of an evolution. It’s not like they either have to stream or broadcast over the air. Many successful stations do both. And they make money both ways.

Hopefully, we can figure something out. We need to hit every possible outlet as hard as possible. We NEED to not sleep on any opportunity to get our story told. We have a hell of a broadcaster in Danny, and some really great guys helping out. We need to showcase that stuff, even if it’s not a profit center for us.

Our radio broadcast is extremely good. We NEED to get it out there every way possible. (Try listening to GT’s garbage play caller. Even UGAs is a joke..... Guy tries to sound like Munson but ends up sounding like he’s having a seizure.).

I’m very impressed with this radio crew. We need to Do Right and get them out there as much as possible. When you have most people turning down the sound on their TVs to listen to the radio instead, you know you have a great product

which is it? Do we need more ATL stations or do we need stations in dove fields and deer stands? radio is dying and so has the number of stations that carry us.
    Anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice. Ammo is cheap. Life is expensive