TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: State Announces Home and Home with Tech

Default Re: State Announces Home and Home with Tech

I forgot that Appy plays UNC and South Carolina at HOME. Slow your rolls and think about that, let it sink in.

The only rationale I keep hearing for why we MUST do it is:

a) other schools are doing it, and

b) there’s apparently some sort of prestige that goes along with it (I disagree)

Somebody start with a blank sheet of paper and tell me why it’s a great thing to aspire to-to schedule a probable loss at home.

Is it because we’d expect to get a marginal bump in attendance for one game (at the expense of a substantial payday)?

Or just because it’d be ‘cooler’ to some people to say that we got beat by ‘X’ P5 at home than that we beat ‘Y’ G5 at home?

Somebody humor me.
    Ever devoted to the twin causes of reason and justice . . . ever at risk of waxing verbose

Quote Originally Posted by GATAlac El Dorado View Post
    Somebody humor me.
    So you rather play Samford, Citadel, or some other FCS school that no one cares about in the world of football and have lackluster attendance from the visiting team? Pay this FCS to come to town and give an FCS team the opportunity to beat us in our stadium?

Or we rather have a decent opponent come to town, have a chance to beat said opponent, generate some revenue for the community, create some excitement about a game, have a fully packed stadium with an awesome atmosphere for the fans/students/recruits, and make some headlines in the region (even if we don't win).

I see your point.... yeah let's play an FCS school... why not...?

Quote Originally Posted by Claydus View Post
    So you rather play Samford, Citadel, or some other FCS school that no one cares about in the world of football and have lackluster attendance from the visiting team? Pay this FCS to come to town and give an FCS team the opportunity to beat us in our stadium?

Or we rather have a decent opponent come to town, have a chance to beat said opponent, generate some revenue for the community, create some excitement about a game, have a fully packed stadium with an awesome atmosphere for the fans/students/recruits, and make some headlines in the region (even if we don't win).

Georgia Southern wouldn’t give up their FCS game. Nobody does that except te Big ten. Look at App’s schedule, when UNC goes there they actually play the Citadel.

Because a FCS is one of 6 wins needed to become bowl eligible. It's an easy win. I challenge you to find a BCS/CFP champ that didn't play one FCS team in the last 10-15 years. SOS mean nothing at our level. App's opponents record was like 97th, ours was like 27th. Guess who was ranked and who wasn't? Yes they got lucky and beat 2 P5's on down years (neither made a bowl game) but no one cares because USC and UNC should have still won.
    No longer eating crow for saying "The TO is gone get over it!!"

Quote Originally Posted by 1peatfor7 View Post
    Because a FCS is one of 6 wins needed to become bowl eligible. It's an easy win. I challenge you to find a BCS/CFP champ that didn't play one FCS team in the last 10-15 years. SOS mean nothing at our level. App's opponents record was like 97th, ours was like 27th. Guess who was ranked and who wasn't? Yes they got lucky and beat 2 P5's on down years (neither made a bowl game) but no one cares because USC and UNC should have still won.
    UNC went to Bowl game and won. Playing University of North Carolina or South Carolina at Paulson would be GREAT period. Might even get people talking.

We would not give up the FCS game. We would probably give up a P5 away game (money game)..., costing us close to $1.5 million for our budget. That is money we cannot afford to lose. I do not see that happening (P5 home) until we hit a point where we do not need a money game every year.

8. Default Re: State Announces Home and Home with Tech

Yeah, FCS games aren't going anywhere (as they shouldn't), but App didn't get lucky to beat two P5's this year, they were the better team on the field on those days. Granted, they did have down years, but UNC & USC typically have more down years than the contrary. I disagree that nobody cares that they beat a SEC & ACC team last year, I anticipate hearing about those victories at least a dozen times on ESPN broadcasts next year.

Not that I disagree but just to be a dick because the challenge was issued.....
    Three of the last fifteen champs did not play an FCS.
    UNC did make a bowl game. They pounded Temple....BUT one of their six wins to get bowl eligible was over FCS Mercer in game 11 of the season....and their bowl paid out over double the New Orleans bowl.

Quote Originally Posted by gwinnetteagle88 View Post
    We would not give up the FCS game. We would probably give up a P5 away game (money game)..., costing us close to $1.5 million for our budget. That is money we cannot afford to lose. I do not see that happening (P5 home) until we hit a point where we do not need a money game every year.
    You keep the FCS and the money game.

You lose the G5 home/away game for that year and it's replaced with the second P5 in your h/h arrangement.