TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on
     
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 90

Thread: Andrew Dodge out

  1. #71

    Default Re: Andrew Dodge out

    Quote Originally Posted by eagle95 View Post
    There’s plenty of data to suggest that appropriately targeted S&C plus improved sprinting technique can lower times by 2 tenths or more, depending on how explosive and proficient of a runner said athlete already is.
    You can improve 40 times. That’s an application of the said talent, which is speed.

    Having a bunch of fast human beings on the roster comes from recruiting them, though. It isn’t really a S&C thing.
    Thanks, Rastabot!
    www.247sports.com/porkchops

  2. #72
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Sugar Hill, Ga
    Posts
    11,800

    Default Re: Andrew Dodge out

    Quote Originally Posted by pete4256 View Post
    You can improve 40 times. That’s an application of the said talent, which is speed.

    Having a bunch of fast human beings on the roster comes from recruiting them, though. It isn’t really a S&C thing.
    Re-read your earlier post and agree.

    Figured I’d try to help a youngin survive the onslaught

  3. #73

    Default Re: Andrew Dodge out

    Quote Originally Posted by eagle95 View Post
    Re-read your earlier post and agree.

    Figured I’d try to help a youngin survive the onslaught
    . . . I am the onslaught.

    The key part of your earlier post was “depending on how explosive and proficient of a runner said athlete already is.” That’s where we are 100% on the same page.

    That’s my argument. Like Hatcher, Summers put more value on length than speed.

    That’s how you end up with the 2009 roster. When Monken took the GS job, he noted that he inherited just one legitimate 4.5 guy—presumably Laron Scott—on the whole team.

    Length also plays, by the way. We’ve seen that on defense.

    However, you have to prioritize speed to be fast. I think we’re trying to get faster. Are we succeeding?

    I don’t know.

    I do know that really good coaches can turn the roster to their advantage very fast.
    Thanks, Rastabot!
    www.247sports.com/porkchops

  4. #74

    Default Re: Andrew Dodge out

    I met with Coach Tom Melton (former S&C coach) post 2010 and we discussed the drastic turnaround in team speed from 2009-2010. In his own words, he said when he got there he "had to teach the guys how to run again" . The previous coach had implemented programs that were more suited toward traditional bodybuilding/strength training design, whereas Melton brought back more explosive training and true speed work to get the guys back to being able to play fast.

    All that to say, yes strength coaching matters, but you're not going to take a joe schmoe and make him run a 4.3 regardless of how great your program is, unless he's genetically wired to be that fast. Coach Greenhalgh appears to be a bright young guy who is doing the right things to get our guys ready to compete. Our competition in the Sun Belt is going to be much tougher than anything we faced in the SoCon from an athletic standpoint, so the speed advantages we once had are not going to be evident except in some of the FCS games going forward. But if we recruit fast guys, it will show up on Saturdays as long as the program is consistent with what research has shown as effective programming.

  5. #75

    Default Re: Andrew Dodge out

    I’m not sure if the recruiting is a sign of bad recruiting take or the strength and conditioning coach should make slow guys fast is the more interesting take.

  6. #76

    Default Re: Andrew Dodge out

    Quote Originally Posted by PowerEagle View Post
    I met with Coach Tom Melton (former S&C coach) post 2010 and we discussed the drastic turnaround in team speed from 2009-2010. In his own words, he said when he got there he "had to teach the guys how to run again" . The previous coach had implemented programs that were more suited toward traditional bodybuilding/strength training design, whereas Melton brought back more explosive training and true speed work to get the guys back to being able to play fast.

    All that to say, yes strength coaching matters, but you're not going to take a joe schmoe and make him run a 4.3 regardless of how great your program is, unless he's genetically wired to be that fast. Coach Greenhalgh appears to be a bright young guy who is doing the right things to get our guys ready to compete. Our competition in the Sun Belt is going to be much tougher than anything we faced in the SoCon from an athletic standpoint, so the speed advantages we once had are not going to be evident except in some of the FCS games going forward. But if we recruit fast guys, it will show up on Saturdays as long as the program is consistent with what research has shown as effective programming.
    That didn't appear to be the case when we entered this conference and I don't think it's because the conference has suddenly become more athletic and talented. It appears WE'VE become much less athletic than the group of FCS guys we entered the conference with. There's no debating we don't have the speed those guys had especially on offense. The extra 22 scholarships we have aren't helping at all right now.

  7. #77

    Default Re: Andrew Dodge out

    Again...you don't coach speed and you can't develop it. You're either fast or you're not.

    Every goddamn program does strength and conditioning...so every programs guys are going to get stronger and maybe slightly faster...

    You're not gaining any ground on your opponents by making your slow guys a tad bit faster...because they recruited guys that were ALREADY fast and ALSO made them a tad bit faster...so you still lose.

  8. #78

    Default Re: Andrew Dodge out

    Quote Originally Posted by Wingspan View Post
    That didn't appear to be the case when we entered this conference and I don't think it's because the conference has suddenly become more athletic and talented. It appears WE'VE become much less athletic than the group of FCS guys we entered the conference with. There's no debating we don't have the speed those guys had especially on offense. The extra 22 scholarships we have aren't helping at all right now.
    We had 2 guys that could outrun everyone else in the conference - Breida and Upshaw. Outside of that we werent running away from defenses at the same clip we did in the FCS days**.


    **I have no stats to back this up, just a hazy memory.

  9. #79

    Default Re: Andrew Dodge out

    Quote Originally Posted by PowerEagle View Post
    We had 2 guys that could outrun everyone else in the conference - Breida and Upshaw. Outside of that we werent running away from defenses at the same clip we did in the FCS days**.


    **I have no stats to back this up, just a hazy memory.
    I have a friend who loosely follows our program and someone I wouldn't consider a fan. He told me that our problem is we don't have as good of players as the rest of conference as he put it based on the eye test. He said that wasn't the case when we entered the conference. I can't disagree with that. The inaugural GS SB team would have taken Liberty to the woodshed.

  10. #80

    Default Re: Andrew Dodge out

    Quote Originally Posted by Wingspan View Post
    That didn't appear to be the case when we entered this conference and I don't think it's because the conference has suddenly become more athletic and talented. It appears WE'VE become much less athletic than the group of FCS guys we entered the conference with. There's no debating we don't have the speed those guys had especially on offense. The extra 22 scholarships we have aren't helping at all right now.
    The record of our opponents in 2014: 58-90.
    The record of our opponents in 2019: 98-69.
    The conference has absolutely gotten better.

Similar Threads

  1. Andrew Cunningham Leaving
    By eaglechamp in forum The Flight Line
    Replies: 251
    Last Post: 17th June 2019, 03:13 PM
  2. Andrew Power
    By EagleHawk in forum The Flight Line
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 2nd September 2009, 10:45 PM
  3. Andrew Power #99
    By straightshooter in forum The Flight Line
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 25th August 2009, 08:56 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •