TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on
     
Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 100 of 123

Thread: W & MBB DH - vs GaSt (Hanner Fieldhouse)

  1. #91

    Default Re: W & MBB DH - vs GaSt (Hanner Fieldhouse)

    Quote Originally Posted by Eagle22 View Post
    Well, this thread is about Saturday's game.

    If the players can't pull up the reins when it's going bad, the coach MUST.
    Absolutely.

  2. #92

    Default Re: W & MBB DH - vs GaSt (Hanner Fieldhouse)

    Quote Originally Posted by garns 4 View Post
    i wasn't referring to Saturday's loss. IMO a real good player knows when to shoot, when not too etc. Good players IMO don't need a bunch of coaching, do they need coaching heck yes, but good ones know the game well enough to execute smartly out there. Like the importance of making that 1 extra pass to set a teammate up for a higher percentage shot. Good ones know when to slow the ball down or when to speed it up. My, Tookie came to mind, Jenkins came to mind.
    Thats the old days garns.......these young kids are treated like kings by the high school & travel ball coaches. The kids pretty much do whatever they want. The real good players have much power than the coach (like the NBA) and will transfer schools or change travel teams in the blind of an eye. College teams end up with a roster of stars and most of them had never had "old school" coaching

    It's the coaches job to make them play smart basketball if they aren't doing it on their own. That's what the end of the bench is for.

  3. #93

    Default Re: W & MBB DH - vs GaSt (Hanner Fieldhouse)

    Quote Originally Posted by Eagle22 View Post
    Well, this thread is about Saturday's game.

    If the players can't pull up the reins when it's going bad, the coach MUST.
    +1 but he did call multiple timeouts but not much changed.

  4. #94

    Default Re: W & MBB DH - vs GaSt (Hanner Fieldhouse)

    Quote Originally Posted by #1HOOPSTER View Post
    Thats the old days garns.......these young kids are treated like kings by the high school & travel ball coaches. The kids pretty much do whatever they want. The real good players have much power than the coach (like the NBA) and will transfer schools or change travel teams in the blind of an eye. College teams end up with a roster of stars and most of them had never had "old school" coaching

    It's the coaches job to make them play smart basketball if they aren't doing it on their own. That's what the end of the bench is for.
    lots have things have changed since our day. Me and that "end of bench" became close friends when I played. I had a tendency to run Garns's offense rather than the coaches offense. This is what I don't understand, when I took a untimely 3 point shot(I played back when there wasn't any 3 point line) and even when I made one, if it wasn't the type of shot or from the play that was drawn up, I got pulled/substituted for. Oh well, we are now 12-9 on the season with 10 regular season games remaining. Question is can we get to 20 wins?

  5. Default Re: W & MBB DH - vs GaSt (Hanner Fieldhouse)

    Quote Originally Posted by garns 4 View Post
    +1 but he did call multiple timeouts but not much changed.
    I am convinced that he calls a timeout and brings the clip board to the huddle just to get everyone’s post-game meal order. Over the years, I have see nothing to suggest they are discussing actual strategy or a single set play.

  6. #96
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    JDC325's Head
    Posts
    29,216

    Default Re: W & MBB DH - vs GaSt (Hanner Fieldhouse)

    Quote Originally Posted by garns 4 View Post
    lots have things have changed since our day. Me and that "end of bench" became close friends when I played. I had a tendency to run Garns's offense rather than the coaches offense. This is what I don't understand, when I took a untimely 3 point shot(I played back when there wasn't any 3 point line) and even when I made one, if it wasn't the type of shot or from the play that was drawn up, I got pulled/substituted for. Oh well, we are now 12-9 on the season with 10 regular season games remaining. Question is can we get to 20 wins?

    I think the pressure to win or get fired has led to a change in “the end of the bench”. Coaches today have the challenge of trying to instill discipline and basketball IQ to a bunch of kids who have grown up watching Steph Curry, Tray Thompson, James Harden, etc jack up a bunch of 3’s without taking away playing time. It’s definitely not an easy thing to do.
    Quote Originally Posted by NO_QUARTER View Post
    I actually considered getting into a debate with Half one time (on something unimportant). But then chickened out because I knew my a$$ was about to get handed to me.

  7. #97

    Default Re: W & MBB DH - vs GaSt (Hanner Fieldhouse)

    Quote Originally Posted by half-n-half View Post
    I think the pressure to win or get fired has led to a change in “the end of the bench”. Coaches today have the challenge of trying to instill discipline and basketball IQ to a bunch of kids who have grown up watching Steph Curry, Tray Thompson, James Harden, etc jack up a bunch of 3’s without taking away playing time. It’s definitely not an easy thing to do.
    Half I can't agree with you more!, in today's sports world it isn't easy. Back when, a coach yell at you in practice for not doing something correctly, no big deal, "your feelings hurt?, get over it Garns". Now when a coach gets after a player at practice, 3hours later their texting the kid making sure their ok emotionally that their practice scolding didn't damage their psyche. Yes, lots has changed. I think the installation of the 3 point line was the worse idea ever in basketball. Time clock I'm all for. In many ways the game is different but in many ways it is still the same. The physicality of the game is so intense and the need of physical strength is now a days so important.

  8. #98

    Default Re: W & MBB DH - vs GaSt (Hanner Fieldhouse)

    Y'all are really leaning into this "millennials aren't mentally tough" narrative huh?

  9. #99
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    JDC325's Head
    Posts
    29,216

    Default Re: W & MBB DH - vs GaSt (Hanner Fieldhouse)

    Quote Originally Posted by Buzz Killington View Post
    Y'all are really leaning into this "millennials aren't mentally tough" narrative huh?

    I mean there is definitely some truth to that so yeah we are. Like others have pointed out the pampering and praising of kids at the high school/AAU/travel ball level is worse today that it has ever been. Does that mean every kid is like that? No. But it's definitely something a Bobby Knight never really had to deal with (and wouldn't be able to) and something a Coach K has had to adapt to.

    My point though was more about the coaches not being given the time to "break down" a kid. Used to be you didn't have to worry about being fired after a couple bad years so you could discipline kids more and essentially take one step back for two steps forward. In today's world though if you take that step back you rarely survive long enough to see the two steps forward unless you do it as soon as you get hired.
    Quote Originally Posted by NO_QUARTER View Post
    I actually considered getting into a debate with Half one time (on something unimportant). But then chickened out because I knew my a$$ was about to get handed to me.

  10. #100
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Columbia, SC
    Posts
    567

    Default Re: W & MBB DH - vs GaSt (Hanner Fieldhouse)

    Bob Knight was a temper tantrum throwing brat.

Similar Threads

  1. hanner fieldhouse renovations
    By sportsperson1983 in forum The Flight Line
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 12th September 2018, 04:34 AM
  2. Hanner Fieldhouse Construction
    By gsuengineer in forum The Flight Line
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 23rd July 2014, 04:05 PM
  3. Volleyball Tonight, 6PM, Hanner Fieldhouse
    By InHonorOfErk in forum The Flight Line
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 4th September 2012, 07:14 PM
  4. New Seats in Hanner Fieldhouse
    By JoeBleedsBlue in forum The Flight Line
    Replies: 38
    Last Post: 19th August 2012, 06:40 PM
  5. Hanner Fieldhouse questions
    By GSU2013 in forum The Flight Line
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 12th January 2009, 10:41 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •