TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: In our years in the Sun Belt what championships have we won?

Default Re: In our years in the Sun Belt what championships have we won?

Quote Originally Posted by 1peatfor7 View Post
    But you stay at GS one more year, and turn around and get a P5 job not another G5.

Mel Tucker went 5-7 and got a BG1 job in his only season as a head coach.
    Drinkwitz took the keys to the Ferrari at Appys and in 1 season got a 400%? increase at a P5.
    Kiffin waited 3 years for a SEC opportunity.
    This is where I think Fritz was short sighted. He could have dominated the Belt where as it was a complete long rebuild at Tulane. I think his path to a P5 job would have been completed by now as GS at the level he recruits which is elite when you consider where he is at. You would have to be blind or just a moron not to see what he has done at Tulane. It was literally one of the worst programs in all of college football to now mid pack AAC that some ratings had rated higher than the ACC last year. Maybe we could not afford to keep him but there is no debate the money and growth lost based on the subsequent aftermath has cost us way more than it did to keep him. Maybe its my blue colored glasses or being spoiled of past success but I think both GS and GSU are sleeping giants. We are the only state with top five total DIV I recruits and per capita. IIRC several GA high schools are in the top 25 of most DIV I players on teams in the country. Yet TX, Cali, TN, NC, OH and UF all have more than two nationally relevant programs and GA does not. TK just back slid light years us with one horrible hire and one TBD. We all love CCL but the jury is still out. The schedule was insanely easy in the 10 win and hard in the 7 win. To me this is year where it will show what direction we are headed of if CCL has peaked. We have not put any talent gap on anyone since 2016 that's for sure so coaching and development are going to be on full display this year. It is year three+ its all on this staff now the stench of Summers has long since disapated.
    To sum up TK in like a lion out like a lamb.
    Dirk E. Sanchez, Overyonder, GA 2001

Quote Originally Posted by half-n-half View Post
    you missed JDC's point.

Why didn't you give the AF a $5M one time donation to cover the costs of the extra $600K a year, plus the assistant pool, and the gradual increase of salary?

FACTS:
    Fritz was approached with a raise/extension after becoming bowl eligible in October.
    At some point a physical contract was offered. There is proof and a paper trail of said contract.
    Fritz never signed the extension and instead went looking for a new job.
    Fritz was making in the $600K range, and was offered something like $750K.
    Tulane offered $1.2M, and his current salary is $1.6M.

So even if we had the funds for $900K, there is no way he takes that over $1.2M.
    Dang nobody asked....and nobody knows if not coming closer would not have kept him here. It is just speculation either way. I just know if we could have kept him or made a competent hire after we probably are not struggling to a 7-6 record last year and outside of two games it was a struggle which is the point of the OP. We were four bad plays from being 2-10. After the first year we should have locked him up, I mean nobody had done what he did in year one of the FBS under the new rules.

you missed JDC's point.

Quote Originally Posted by EAGLEMAN View Post
    Or he isn’t accepting. Nonetheless, there was no guarantee that one 10-win season at Georgia Southern was getting him a huge P5 payday. Bird in hand.
    Agreed

over last few years numerous p5 jobs open, but none to Willie, I think he finishes out his career at Tulane. Not bad, one heck of a good conference.

Quote Originally Posted by garns 4 View Post
    over last few years numerous p5 jobs open, but none to Willie, I think he finishes out his career at Tulane. Not bad, one heck of a good conference.
    Was probably tougher than the ACC last year top to bottom. I think GS and Fritz made bad decisions. The reclamation project at Tulane I think took longer than he anticipated but if he continues to be in the top five in the AAC in recruiting like he did this year he will be fine either way. I thinks he needs that double digit win season and either Tulane is going to break him off or a mid level or lower P5 will.

you missed JDC's point.

Quote Originally Posted by JDC325 View Post
    Was probably tougher than the ACC last year top to bottom. I think GS and Fritz made bad decisions. The reclamation project at Tulane I think took longer than he anticipated but if he continues to be in the top five in the AAC in recruiting like he did this year he will be fine either way. I thinks he needs that double digit win season and either Tulane is going to break him off or a mid level or lower P5 will.
    i think the window has closed on Willie being offered a p5 gig. Not to mention he's getting that much older. I think he'll try to take Tulane to a AAC title then soon after call it quits.

Worman won coach of the year in rifle again.
    No longer eating crow for saying "The TO is gone get over it!!"

Worman won coach of the year in rifle again.
    I thought her comments about being "over the moon" about how we did at the SoCon championship were overwrought until I looked at the roster and saw that literally all of them are freshmen.
    Last edited by BillyBob; 9th March 2020 at 01:43 PM.
    "Follow the trendlines, not the headlines." -Steven Pinker (?)

Regarding football Scheduling.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob View Post
    I thought her comments about being "over the moon" about how we did at the SoCon championship were overwrought until I looked at the roster and saw that literally all of them are freshmen.
    Well if they don't leave early for the MLR, we should have a great team the next 3 years!

10. Default Re: In our years in the Sun Belt what championships have we won?

Quote Originally Posted by garns 4 View Post
    i think the window has closed on Willie being offered a p5 gig. Not to mention he's getting that much older. I think he'll try to take Tulane to a AAC title then soon after call it quits.
    Wildcat Willie has peaked. Tulane will ultimately fire him. He’s a solid coach that’s getting old fast.