TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Baseball vs. Ga Tech

Default Re: Baseball vs. Ga Tech

Quote Originally Posted by CC Eagle View Post
    This one was tough to watch. We did everything right for most of the game. Got ahead 2-1. Got a clutch 2-out hit to go up 3-1. Got out of a jam to keep the lead late in the game.

And then things went sideways.

Harris has all the talent in the world and every reason to be the closer, but the guy needs to find another gear. Every time a situation gets really big, he loses the strike zone. Sure, he should have had less to deal with if fog doesn't cause us to lose the second out of the 9th in the sky, but that's no excuse for walking the leadoff batter on four straight and working behind to just about everyone else. I'm not trying to single out one pitcher, but the fact is that he seems to have Hennon's confidence in go-to situations, but he continues to come up short. Jones needs to get the next save opportunity.

As for other factors in the game, I have to have some sympathy for Harris. GT was riding him from the second he got into the game. That's just baseball as far as I'm concerned. But why does Harris get a full 30 second press conference with two different umpires when he gets a strikeout and says something of his own? It never ceases to amaze me that umps' names never make it onto your gameday ticket despite the fact that so many are so sure that we're there to see them point and yell.
    Closer mentality has to feed off that fuel, not ignite it.

From my vantage point 160 miles away watching from home via ESPN+, it sure looked like the home plate ump lost track of his job at times in the 9th inning but Harris wasn't consistent enough to make his job any easier.
    “Gentlemen, we will chase perfection, and we will chase it relentlessly, knowing all the while we can never attain it. But along the way, we shall catch excellence.” ― Vince Lombardi Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by TheEagleWay View Post
    All of it... tonight episode is a tired rerun of the same thing.

Sure.. I might come off as hyperbolic but my frustration is more geared towards athletics in general that I've had since 2015.

I'm just unhappy with the fact that we are satisfied with being "ok" in Athletics. Sure, we'll beat some scrubs in a season but won't come home with any hardware. With Mark/Rodney, games like this just seem to be our ceiling and they never break through. When opportunity comes knocking, we are just unable to take it. We've just come to accept that in these 2 sports. Even Chad choked consecutive conference leads in football to lesser opponents.

I'm not sure where this "anti-clutch" culture came from but its really fatiguing.
    Off, topic, but I think Minnesota is the only "choke game" we've had with Lunsford. Every other loss we were out-played.
    "Follow the trendlines, not the headlines." -Steven Pinker (?)

Regarding football Scheduling.

Quote Originally Posted by Eagle22 View Post

From my vantage point 160 miles away watching from home via ESPN+, it sure looked like the home plate ump lost track of his job at times in the 9th inning but Harris wasn't consistent enough to make his job any easier.
    Yeah. That's my point.

If Harris wants to be some cold-blooded shutdown closer, great. I'm all for rallying behind the theatrics and emotion that go with that.

But maybe don't start throwing pitches all over the map whenever that situation presents itself.
    The thoughts and opinions discussed in this post are property of CC Eagle and should not be redistributed or retransmitted without the express written consent of Major League Baseball.

4. Default Re: Baseball vs. Ga Tech

I can't recall right off hand but it was either 2015 or 2016 we were leading 3-2 needing 3 outs, or something like that and they tied the game up in the top of the 9th, then scored a couple of runs in the 15th or 17th inning (something crazy) and we scored a couple at home in the bottom of the inning, yet lost by one.

It really defies logic.
    Yep, I believe that was 2016, 16 innings. In 2015 they scored 3 TD’s on us.

5. Default Re: Baseball vs. Ga Tech

+1

Remember Landon Hughes? He would have mowed them down in that situation.

We will need to use a set up man for the 8th, then Haden in the 9th, or like Royals the year they won WS, they had a 7th inning guy, 8th inning guy, then their closer. Haden effective for one inning, anymore than that, OT gets "if'fy". Man was that fog THICK. No fog we win 3-2.

Love how those who weren't there seem to have all the answers........

The man behind the plate screwed us over in the top of the 9th.
    Laney Claxton
    BBA 1987

we are 31-102 against a team and when we lose a close one to them it means we inhale vigorously and the sky is falling. Would you rather it be one of the games where they beat us like 15-1? Cause they've done that to us more than we can count, too. I love how many of you think that it is just so incredibly easy to win and that we should just have to show up and let everyone see the mighty GS on our jerseys and they should bow down to us and run away whimpering. How would some of you react if there were a couple thousand fans watching every move you made at work and calling for your firing every time you did anything that they disagreed with?
    Anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice. Ammo is cheap. Life is expensive

Quote Originally Posted by Booster EYES View Post
    Love how those who weren't there seem to have all the answers........

The man behind the plate screwed us over in the top of the 9th.
    Maybe Kirby Smart paid him to make us lose...

Wait, wrong Georgia college.

10. Default Re: Baseball vs. Ga Tech

Quote Originally Posted by KJ Eagle View Post
    we are 31-102 against a team and when we lose a close one to them it means we inhale vigorously and the sky is falling. Would you rather it be one of the games where they beat us like 15-1? Cause they've done that to us more than we can count, too. I love how many of you think that it is just so incredibly easy to win and that we should just have to show up and let everyone see the mighty GS on our jerseys and they should bow down to us and run away whimpering. How would some of you react if there were a couple thousand fans watching every move you made at work and calling for your firing every time you did anything that they disagreed with?
    I would react with an enthusiastic "THANK YOU," if I could coach America'a pastime on a major college campus and get Rodney's salary and job security.